PDA

View Full Version : NS DNR wants to restrict ranges to club members only!

Curly1
03-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Just got an email from my club showing the renewed agreement to use a DNR range for club purposes. One of the new clauses is...

"Handguns and restricted firearms, as per sect 6 of the regulations, no person may use a restricted firearm or a prohibited handgun at a shooting range unless that person is a member or an officer of an approved shooting club or the guest of such a person."

I was hoping C42 would shut down the need for club membership, but, it looks like the beaurcrats have other ways of restricting access to ownership by resticting access to places you can shoot.

blacksmithden
03-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I hate to play devils advocate, but who else WOULD be able to shoot restricts and prohibs ?

Anyway....as long as the firearms act exists in any likeness of it's present form, the bureaucrats will find loopholes to screw us. It's as simple as that. The CPC can put all the lipstick bandaid fixes they want on that pig (like C-42), but it's still a pig, and we're going to have to live with the bureaucratic stink that comes with it.

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Curly what DNR is doing is giving your club an exemption. In Nova Scotia the official purpose of DNR ranges is for the public to sight in their hunting rifles, hence silly restrictions like only loading 1 round at a time and no restricted or prohibited firearms. The only people who are allowed to shoot handguns there are peace officers. I didn't even know there were clubs that didn't have a range of their own and used a DNR range instead. So DNR is actually granting your club privileges that other NS citizens don't have, not taking anything away.

Relic49
03-13-2015, 06:00 AM
Thats my understanding as well Doug_M.

awndray
03-13-2015, 07:07 AM
I had to look up what DNR is. Now that I know, I'm amazed that you guys even have such a thing as a DNR shooting range. You're lucky. Some people can barely find public land one which to plink. As for the restrictions, it's no different than any other province and surely isn't new. Like Doug said, the DNR is being pretty fair.

Curly1
03-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Actually it's a DNR range, but, the document is signed by John W. Parkin, CFO Nova Scotia. So DNR's lic. to operate the range has been restricted by the CFO to make club membership manditory in NS. I see it as a hinderance to my freedom of association as well as an hurdle to gun ownership and use. Am I wrong or over reacting?

awndray
03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Whether it's a DNR range or private, the same rules apply as far as I know. In the grand scheme of things, yes. It's ridiculous that a CFO has the ability to do such things. When compared to the rest of the country, this is nothing new. However, now you're saying they are restricting any use of the range to club members - including the use of non-restricted firearms. Is that the case?

RangeBob
03-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Is Nova Scotia the province with
a) lots of limitations on non-restricted
b) that fired all the CFSC instructors for almost a year
?

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Actually it's a DNR range, but, the document is signed by John W. Parkin, CFO Nova Scotia. So DNR's lic. to operate the range has been restricted by the CFO to make club membership manditory in NS. I see it as a hinderance to my freedom of association as well as an hurdle to gun ownership and use. Am I wrong or over reacting?

Yes I think you are overreacting. Again, the sole purpose of the DNR ranges is for hunters to sight in their rifles. Rules like only loading one round at a time are not enforced and you can book the range online and easily book 2 or 3 hour blocks. You get the range all to yourself, for free (okay taxes pay for it). The fact that your range-less club gets to use the DNR as its range is a bonus. There is a DNR range near me where I could shoot my non-restricteds for free, but I choose to pay for membership at may local gun club instead where I can shoot my NRs, restricteds and (if I had any) prohibited pistols. I don't think you will find many people in the entire nation who can shoot restricteds at a free range.

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Is Nova Scotia the province with
a) lots of limitations on non-restricted
b) that fired all the CFSC instructors for almost a year
?

a) I'm not aware of non-restricted restrictions. Although I wouldn't be caught on crown land without an appropriate hunting tag etc.

b) Sort of but not quite. In the past NSCC (Nova Scotia Community College) put on the course in conjunction with local instructors. The previous NDP government decided to replace that system by contracting it out to a single source. Hnatiuk's (a sporting goods store) won the contract. But they didn't have locations or instructors lined up. People were bitter. It took time for Hnatiuk's to get their poop together.

Curly1
03-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Whether it's a DNR range or private, the same rules apply as far as I know. In the grand scheme of things, yes. It's ridiculous that a CFO has the ability to do such things. When compared to the rest of the country, this is nothing new. However, now you're saying they are restricting any use of the range to club members - including the use of non-restricted firearms. Is that the case?

Hunting rifles that are non-restricted are ok, just no restricted without club membership. It just frustrates me that just when you think the CFO/ATT nonsense was coming to an end with the C42, they throw up more road blocks for the law abiding. Mean while, the gang bangers, who can't even get their pants on proper, are walking around armed and if caught will only get a slap on the wrist, if anything.

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Hunting rifles that are non-restricted are ok, just no restricted without club membership. It just frustrates me that just when you think the CFO/ATT nonsense was coming to an end with the C42, they throw up more road blocks for the law abiding. Mean while, the gang bangers, who can't even get their pants on proper, are walking around armed and if caught will only get a slap on the wrist, if anything.

I think you are missing the point Curly. Until your OP I didn't know any but peace officers could shoot pistols at DNR ranges. Now I know peace officers and your club can. I can't. I belong to a club but my club has its own range. So I cannot go to the nearest DNR range and shoot my pistol because there is no club here that is authorized.

I guess what I am saying is that when your club first asked DNR to use their range for club purposes, including shooting restricteds I'm shocked DNR didn't say no as again the reason they exist and tax payers pay for them is to sight in hunting rifles. My club had to buy land and build a range. We have to continue to pay for upkeep and sock money away in case the CFO says "build a berm here". Your club didn't pay to build the DNR range and doesn't pay for upkeep or improvements.

Curly1
03-13-2015, 04:05 PM
I think you are missing the point Curly. Until your OP I didn't know any but peace officers could shoot pistols at DNR ranges. Now I know peace officers and your club can. I can't. I belong to a club but my club has its own range. So I cannot go to the nearest DNR range and shoot my pistol because there is no club here that is authorized.

I guess what I am saying is that when your club first asked DNR to use their range for club purposes, including shooting restricteds I'm shocked DNR didn't say no as again the reason they exist and tax payers pay for them is to sight in hunting rifles. My club had to buy land and build a range. We have to continue to pay for upkeep and sock money away in case the CFO says "build a berm here". Your club didn't pay to build the DNR range and doesn't pay for upkeep or improvements.

Our club does pay for the up keep, we also constructed a new 25 yard range, new buildings and benches. Once you get away from Halifax, there is not much in NS for shooters who are not hunters and don't get me started on how stupid the hunting regs are.

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Our club does pay for the up keep, we also constructed a new 25 yard range, new buildings and benches. Once you get away from Halifax, there is not much in NS for shooters who are not hunters and don't get me started on how stupid the hunting regs are.

I'm confused. Your club has an agreement to use a DNR range (mind if I ask which one?) and your club has also built a 25yd range attached to it as well as buildings? That's surely a unique situation in the province.

Where abouts are you Curly? I'm in the Valley. While I really like my club, it only goes to 100m. The closest DNR range only goes to 50m. Bull Meadows would be the closest with anything beyond 100m but it is too expensive for me considering I'd only get there a couple times a year. Perhaps when I retire...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hornychief
03-13-2015, 06:02 PM
For our club in Lloyd you have to be a member regardless of what you shoot in order to get in. Because the gates are electronically locked and a guy can't get in without fob, regardless of firearm classification

Doug_M
03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
I've never heard of a club that didn't have a gate or else staff. How else are you going to get anyone to join the club if people can sneak on and shoot for free?

Fusilier
03-14-2015, 11:41 AM
There a couple of clubs here in NS that don't have there own ranges and instead they use DNR ranges instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug_M
03-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I had no idea. Well that's good use of them.

Brad
03-14-2015, 12:08 PM
The closest DNR range only goes to 50m. Bull Meadows would be the closest with anything beyond 100m

My quest for a range longer than 100m. The DNR in the valley is only good for 50m