PDA

View Full Version : How many books do you read a year?

Strangeday
03-16-2015, 10:39 PM
The wife and I each read about 150 books a year. We also share some of the titles with each other so of the 150 we each read we probably let each other read 50 of the others. A friend commented that he though we seemed to read a lot. I've always read so I'm not sure if this is the usual amount or not. Thoughts?

superbad
03-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Zero

BrotherRockeye
03-16-2015, 11:52 PM
I'm currently reading Pet Loads cover to cover...should take about a year... :)

kennymo
03-17-2015, 12:17 AM
I used to go through one or two a week. Not so much free time now though...

Forbes/Hutton
03-17-2015, 12:33 AM
Perhaps 100. A mix of fiction and non-fiction. If a book really grabs me I can get through most in a night, otherwise it might last two or three nights. Sometimes I go a week or more without reading anything.

Swampdonkey
03-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Define "read" and "book".

Reading published literary works cover to cover, probably six.

Studying parts of manuals or reference tables, hundreds.

I read plenty of articles and summaries on the internet, but not many bound printed texts.

road kill
03-17-2015, 04:23 AM
I read 50-60 books a year, i used to read more but spend more time on the puter.

Pizzed
03-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Holy cow - where do you find the time to read that many books? Stakeouts? ;)

Definitely not more than 25. Read the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series last summer, that was my highlight for the year.

Ironsight Kustoms
03-17-2015, 08:07 AM
I get about 1 a month in. I polished of 7 in 2 weeks while on vacation recently though.

coastal
03-17-2015, 08:12 AM
I went through 35 audio books last year. I cheat but they are a great help with focusing my energy to complete jobs. I may have a touch of ADD. LOL

JustBen
03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
I go through probably one book every 2-3 weeks.

Since Christmas, I've been going through them a lot faster, as my wife got me a bunch of James Bond novels. I will probably throw in a big amazon order before camping season.

harbl_the_cat
03-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Millennials generally don't read books.

I read constantly - but rarely do I read full books.

Laramie Longhorn
03-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Usually a book a week. And tons of technical data. After all the engineering stuff, some fiction helps purge the brain.

lone-wolf
03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Pretty much zero. I am reading Moby Dick right now, and it'll probably take a year.
Might pick up a murray rothbard economic book to read through later this year as well.
And I usually end up reading white fang, call of the wild, the sea wolf, or never cry wolf, one of them once a year as well.

Magazines, books filled with articles(like gun digest), and guides/manuals/handbooks make up the bulk of physical print I read though.

kennymo
03-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Lots of magazine reading here lately, I seem to need things in small instalments with the baby in the house. Trying to get through the twenty two volumes of Times History of the War, but it's heavy reading. Nearly half a book was on the economic situations of all the countries involved prior to the outbreak of hostilities. Couple that with a 7 month old and a wife trapped at home all day...I don't get a lot of book time right now. I prefer science fiction and fantasy works when I'm not nose deep in a history book.... Bernard Cornwell writes some good more or less historically correct fiction that I've been quite enjoying the last couple years.

Steveo9mm
03-17-2015, 03:15 PM
zero. reading print puts me to sleep for some reason.

tigrr
03-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Nov 2013 till present I am at 259. No TV, just music and books and the internetttttttttttttt.

Coke
03-17-2015, 06:50 PM
I read all the magazines from the gun orgs (American Rifleman, Calibre, OFAH, NFA, Legion, etc), plus Canadian Access to Firearms. The there's the monthly "Executioner" books. And others that people have recommended. I read all sorts of articles on the internet about guns, reloading, shooting, etc... Technical and reference materiel for stuff I am working on. Not really a set amount, but I do read quite a bit, all told.

Neil Burke
03-17-2015, 07:10 PM
I've got 3 on the go right now. I'd read more if it wasn't for the weird looks I'd get reading them at work.

kennymo
03-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Nov 2013 till present I am at 259. No TV, just music and books and the internetttttttttttttt.

I'm in the process of trying to convince the wife we don't need cable TV. An uphill battle...

FlyingHigh
03-17-2015, 07:41 PM
I used to read about 150+ per year. It was rare to see me without a book in my hand. These days work has me so stressed out that I honesty have lost my passion for all but the laziest of things. I browse a few forums and blogs, watch a movie and go to bed, pretty much every night. I want to slowly work my way back up to reading at least a book a week.

DOA
03-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Keeping in mind that most people won't even look at this thread.... There was a rediculously high stat out there that said most people NEVER read a book out of school. My friends think I read a lot and I'm probably in the 1 per month range. I listen to at least one a week but that's not reading. 150 is a huge number to me. I have a goal of 1 a week but I need to increase my speed quite a bit.

I just realized my thought process.... My one a month is business, leadership, communication or motivation focused. I also read 8-12 novels a year. The reason I distiguish the difference is some of them are actually studied which takes longer.

Strewth
03-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Lots:). e-readers and tuebl rule.

tigrr
03-17-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm in the process of trying to convince the wife we don't need cable TV. An uphill battle...

It is incredible how much you can get done without it. Build a house for instance. And I spend the $1200 cable cost on gun stuff and more books. Win win.
The biggest reason for stopping was the weekly repeat. So few new shows on our favorite channels. Been over 5 years now.
Oh and read so many cool books. I have collected 1000 more to read. I have acquired over 700 of Don Pendletons Stoney Man, The Executioner and Mack Bolan alone. My light reading. LIG

Waynetheman
03-18-2015, 01:11 AM
What am a boowk?

Shakeyjake
04-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Lots:). e-readers and tuebl rule.

Yep! I never thought I'd like them, until I tried. Most of the books I like are hard to find and have to be ordered in. Now they're downloaded with the touch of the finger.
I read about 1 a month.

Rory McCanuck
04-04-2015, 01:03 PM
...The there's the monthly "Executioner" books. And others that people have recommended. I read all sorts of articles on the internet about guns, reloading, shooting, etc... Technical and reference materiel for stuff I am working on. Not really a set amount, but I do read quite a bit, all told.

Good grief, they're still pumping those out?
My room-mate in high school had them, and I read what he had, the first 150 or so.
I had to stop, I was afraid my head might "disappear in a fine red mist" ;)
I blame Mack Bolan for my love affair with the 444 Marlin.
Of all the one-off guns he used, that one stayed with me for 20 some years until I saw one in person.
Then bought it ;D

I'm in a similar boat. I used to read 10-20 books a month, but since the internet and gun forums, that has really slowed. I still always have a book on the go, but I've probably only read 20 books in the last year. Of course, 10 of those were a fantasy series that were 1000-1400 pages each, but that's still quite a dip.

Technical stuff, most of that I read online now.

kennymo
04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Lol, Mack Bolan...I was just thinking of those the other day...
The old man had a few dozen of them on the bookshelves in the basement, I ran through all of them in my late teens.

CaperJim
04-04-2015, 02:26 PM
I read whenever I get a chance, but never books. I prefer articles and papers to learn about topics of my interest instead of random stories. I have a friend who started a book club a few years ago, they're having a party next week to celebrate their 1000th book

max302
04-04-2015, 03:30 PM
I try to get at least one per week. It's not too hard but you definitely have to sacrifice other things... for me the internet mostly. Which I'd like to think is not a bad thing.

Donny Fenn
04-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Probably 70 to 100.
Primarily manly stuff, but I will read pretty much anything.

FlyingHigh
04-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm on my way to a book a month. LOL. I'm about 1/4 of the way through Return To The River: A Story of the Chinook Run by Roderick Haig-Brown. I also have Fisherman's Fall, Fisherman's Spring and A Primer of Flyfishing by him as well. My goal is read at least two of these great fly fishing classics before the season really kicks off, and have the other two finished by the middle of the season. :)

Steveo9mm
04-05-2015, 01:10 AM
i read Harold and the Purple Crayon once.

FightingShiba's
04-06-2015, 09:47 PM
I need to start reading more. Never really counted how many I read in an average year, but I know there is a big stack waiting for me to read them. Gotta get on it!