PDA

View Full Version : What frostbite looks like

Pizzed
03-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Australian woman chronicles Saskatchewan frostbite ordeal

An Australian woman is hoping to keep all her fingers after getting a severe case of frostbite in Saskatchewan.

The woman recently posted her story on the Imgur photo website.

She said she was new to the province, had been drinking and passed out. Somebody found her outside in freezing conditions and she went to a hospital.

A surgeon from Prince Albert — whom the woman was amused to learn is named Dr. Friesen — took care of her.

A series of grisly photos taken over the next few days showed her with fingers that were at first discoloured, then covered with enormous blisters and finally with the blisters popped.

"Frostbite recovery is pretty well known for its pain, apparently," she wrote on the website.

The woman said she's waiting to see if she'll lose a finger or tip of a finger, but her doctor is optimistic she will recover.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3001999.1426794481!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/australian-woman-gets-frostbite.jpg

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3002011.1426795021!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/frostbitten-hands.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/australian-woman-chronicles-saskatchewan-frostbite-ordeal-1.3001996

FlyingHigh
03-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Gnarly. Typical Aussie though, taking it in stride and trying to laugh about it. God bless em. LOL

Petamocto
03-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Lesson learned: If you're going to get drunk and pass out, make sure your hands are tucked in your armpits when you fall asleep.

lone-wolf
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
It's like a super blister.

coastal
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
WOW! Those are some serious blisters!

blacksmithden
03-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Lesson learned: If you're going to get drunk and pass out, make sure your hands are tucked in your armpits when you fall asleep.

A better solution...don't get so stupidly drunk that you pass out in a snow bank.

Zedbra
03-20-2015, 08:43 AM
You gotta take those drunk Aussies home a little quicker in Sask, eh? ;)

pitw
03-20-2015, 09:11 AM
When I knocked my finger off in '85, I was at the hospital when they brought in a fellow who had celebrated his 65th Birthday the night before. He passed out on his step at -40 and they had to amputate 7 fingers and one thumb. Heck of a present.

mooboy76
03-20-2015, 09:22 AM

I cringed reading this last winter.

Duluth student suffers severe frostbite, but survives frigid night on porch (link) (http://www.startribune.com/local/235335841.html)

The young woman lay stiff on the porch in the piercing cold of a subzero morning. Her bare hands were pale white and swollen to three times their normal size, skin split from palm to finger. She was breathing. She was shaking. She was not conscious when a passer-by spotted her and came to her aid.

College student Alyssa Jo Lommel apparently had survived outside overnight in temperatures that dipped to 17 below early Saturday morning near the University of Minnesota Duluth campus, police said. She wore UGG boots, jeans, a sweater and a medium-weight jacket.

Lommel was flown to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, where she was in critical condition on Tuesday. Lommel’s parents, Jay and Teri Lommel of St. Cloud, told the St. Cloud Times their daughter suffered significant damage to her hands and feet and could lose one or more of them.

Donny Fenn
03-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Gnarly. Typical Aussie though, taking it in stride and trying to laugh about it. God bless em. LOL

If by typical you mean dumber than a bag of hammers then yes, you are correct.

FlyingHigh
03-21-2015, 06:01 PM
I wasn't actually questioning her intelligence. I do agree that getting drunk in a cold country in a cold part of said country at a cold time of year is not the brightest thing. However I would question the intelligence of anyone who thinks getting rip roaring drunk is a good way to have fun, no matter what their nationality is or what country and climate they're in.

What I meant was that Aussies in general, at least the ones I've met, tend to not freak about stuff that a Canadian or American would lose their shit over. Also, I've met many highly intelligent Aussies. Actually, I've met more smart Aussies in my life than I've met smart people of any nationality here in Grande Prairie. ;)

Petamocto
03-22-2015, 06:18 AM
...Also, I've met many highly intelligent Aussies. Actually, I've met more smart Aussies in my life than I've met smart people of any nationality here in Grande Prairie. ;)

Potentially a slanted study.

Presumably the Aussies you've met have been well-off enough to be traveling, which generally means more income, which generally means better job / smarter, etc.

Aussies could think Canadians are superstars because the only ones they meet aren't trailer trash, which doesn't mean Canada doesn't have trailer trash, it means they don't have thousands in extra income to be world travelers.

FlyingHigh
03-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Fair enough. You're probably right. However, I've lived in GP for nearly 4 years and have met ten fold the number of people here than I've met Aussies. The Aussies were all smarter than your average GP dweller. GP people for the most part certainly do have the money to be world travelers. The average income in this town is stupidly high. So, does that mean the average IQ in GP is low (my main theory), or are Aussies smarter than average?

Don't get me wrong, not all GP people are dull. Most are good people, just not exactly the most well rounded. I have met some very intelligent people here and actually been able to carry on interesting conversations. But those people are few and far between.

That said, I would venture a guess that intelligence among Aussies is similar to elsewhere in the developed worlds. Urban areas will present a higher percentage of intelligent and educated people due to the education and resources available, and rural areas will show a lower average intelligence and more lack of education. For the record thouge before someone rips my head off, I'm NOT saying rural people are stupid!!

I'd bet if you took a resource town in Australia similar to GP, the people would be on a similar wavelength ("durrr, i are rig pig. me like truck, quad, sex and drugs. we go get drunk!!"). If you compared a place such as Sydney to let's say Calgary or Edmonton, you'd find more people who operated on a higher thought process and have more interest in spending their money traveling the world and broadening their horizons. Of course, that's more demographics than nationality.

Now I'm just on a theoretical ramble. I'll stop now. :D

cobrajr122
03-22-2015, 08:47 AM
http://imgur.com/gallery/QzTs0

Source of the Full album/story here for anyone that wants to see more :P
I saw it when it was posted by her, I'm surprised it was picked up my the news.

pitw
03-22-2015, 08:48 AM
So by that thought process of urbanites being smarter than ruralites, does that mean in a SHTF scenario that ruralites will perish first?

FlyingHigh
03-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Of course not. I give rural folks significantly higher odds of survival in a SHTF scenario than urbanites. However, I wasn't talking SHTF. I started off with the educational resources available to urban people equating to a higher average intelligence. Then I got onto intelligence being related to being a well rounded person, something that GP people very much tend not to be.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

Thread officially derailed thanks to my rambles... :p

FlyingHigh
03-22-2015, 09:11 AM
http://imgur.com/gallery/QzTs0

Source of the Full album/story here for anyone that wants to see more :P
I saw it when it was posted by her, I'm surprised it was picked up my the news.

At least she admits she went full retard. She recognizes her mistakes and learned from them it appears. :)