PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela bans private gun ownership

jwirecom109
06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Venezuela has brought a new gun law into effect which bans the commercial sale of firearms and ammunition.

Until now, anyone with a gun permit could buy arms from a private company.

Under the new law, only the army, police and certain groups like security companies will be able to buy arms from the state-owned weapons manufacturer and importer.

The ban is the latest attempt by the government to improve security and cut crime ahead of elections in October

Venezuela saw more than 18,000 murders last year and the capital, Caracas, is thought to be one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.
'Must do more'

The government has been running a gun amnesty in the run-up to the introduction of the new law to try to encourage people to give up their illegal arms without fear of consequences.
One member of the public in Caracas told the BBC: "They're killing people every day. This law is important but they need to do more, they're not doing enough now."

Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians, but his opponents say the police and government may not have the capacity or the will to enforce the new law.

Criminal violence is set to be a major issue in presidential elections later in the year.

Campaign group The Venezuela Violence Observatory said last year that violence has risen steadily since Mr Chavez took office in 1999.

Several Latin American countries have murder rates far higher than the global average of 6.9 murders per 100,000 people.

According to a recent United Nations report, South America, Central America and the Caribbean have the highest rates of murder by firearms in the world.

It found that over 70% of all homicides in South America are as a results of guns - in Western Europe, the figure was closer to 25%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18288430

mlehto
06-01-2012, 07:16 AM
I never understood the mentality here.

All the criminals already have guns and are killing people, so let's make sure the law abiding citizens can't defend themselves, and only leave the criminals with guns.

Smart move.....

hillbillyr
06-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I never understood the mentality here.

All the criminals already have guns and are killing people, so let's make sure the law abiding citizens can't defend themselves, and only leave the criminals with guns.

Smart move.....

It is not about murder rates, it is not about public safety it is about:

The ban is the latest attempt by the government to improve security and cut crime ahead of elections in October

Improve who's security?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/DAMIENB87UNO/hugo_chavez.jpg

jrcbecher
06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Its the UN mandate to disarm all the sheeple and then run their private kingdom the new world order has arrived in Venezuela and coming soon to a world near you

Redhouse
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Another dictatorship (elections..pshhh yeah, right) banning guns. Sound familiar?

JustBen
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
IMO, the move to ban guns is a band-aid approach to crime. Even if you could remove guns from the equations completely (and you can't), the root of the problem is unaddressed. You are going to have the same problem, but with a different spin on it.

RobSmith
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Ultimately if you want to reduce the number of people whom end up shooting each other, you have to figure out why they were shooting at each other in the first place.

IMO, the move to ban guns is a band-aid approach to crime. Even if you could remove guns from the equations completely (and you can't), the root of the problem is unaddressed. You are going to have the same problem, but with a different spin on it.

Rory McCanuck
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians,

And we all know where that leads.
Obvious mass murderer is being obvious.

hillbillyr
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
The solution to crime is extremely simple. Remove the criminals and allow everyone else to carry whatever means of personal protection they desire. It worked fantastically in the past, it would work again now. But then what would the victim brigade and the rat bag lawyers (referring to actual rat bag lawyers not all lawyers) do?

lone-wolf
06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
They should ban murder, I think that'll work.

Prairie Dog
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
People, please don't let common sense enter the equation. Gov't and UN officials certainly don't.

JustBen
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Good call!

jwirecom109
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM

BAN SPOONS!

lone-wolf
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Forks are the real killer, 2:1

Forbes/Hutton
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
It's only only a matter of time until Venezuela bans private ownership of anything.

Wmd
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
so now there wont be 1 more person shot there

hillbillyr
06-01-2012, 06:00 PM
so now there wont be 1 more person shot there out of legitmate self defense

FIFY

Edward Teach
06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
It's 'cause that f***in pineapple-head chavez doesn't want to get shot.

Hurry up and die you piece of s**t!

Strewth
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Awww, you guys took all the fun lines.
I'll go with: I am sad for the people of Venezuela. Lack of world history is a b**ch.

blacksmithden
06-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Ban all civilian firearm ownership....it's been a per-requisite for ALL the great dictators before any good ethnic cleansing.

CSC
06-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I spoke to a Venezuelan fellow who had recently moved to Canada. He had previously been in the Army. He said that prior to Chavez it had been quite easy to get a firearm. After Chavez the government introduced a screening process that was fairly political in nature. Those that opposed Chavez had their permits pulled and were forced to turn in their guns. So the latest change seems to suggest that the government no longer trusts even its own supporters.

hillbillyr
06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I spoke to a Venezuelan fellow who had recently moved to Canada. He had previously been in the Army. He said that prior to Chavez it had been quite easy to get a firearm. After Chavez the government introduced a screening process that was fairly political in nature. Those that opposed Chavez had their permits pulled and were forced to turn in their guns. So the latest change seems to suggest that the government no longer trusts even its own supporters.

That is the reason for gun control in Canada. Some like to think c-68 was because of Poly tech. Those in the know, know it was not

“The reason why legislation passed in 1991 and again in 1995 [was] less to do with the Montreal Massacre per se,” Wendy Cukier of the Coalition for Gun Control told me in 2009, than the culmination of a longstanding health and safety campaign. It’s a “misconception,” she claimed, “that the Montreal Massacre was what this gun law was intended to prevent.”

c-68 was a direct result of the OKA standoff and native unrest. The government was/ IS scared of an armed and defiant first nations.
http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/publications/Article79.htm