PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Laws in Canada

JustBen
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, this is by no means a cut and dried subject, but its one that keeps coming up... so I've devised a series of questions to work through to help you identify what the limit of a particular magazine is, along with some examples. Keep in mind that these are LEGAL limits. Limits for hunting and competition can vary, so check your local regulations.

1. Is the magazine designed, marketed, or intended for use in a pistol?

If YES, your magazine has a limit of 10 rounds, whether for rimfire or centerfire cartridges. The exception here is putting one kind of ammunition in a magazine intended for another. For example, putting 9mm Luger into a magazine built for .40 S&W will allow you to exceed the 10 round limit, but the magazine must still only physically hold 10 rounds of .40 S&W.

If NO proceed to question 2. Since its not a pistol, it must be a rifle or a shotgun.

2. Is the magazine designed, marketed, or intended for use in a rimfire firearm?

If YES, your magazine does not have a capacity limit, unless that magazine was also designed to be compatible with a similar pistol. This is the case with the M&P 22 rifle/pistol mags. They are marketed as interchangable, and therefore are always subject to the 10 round limit. However, Butler Creek magazines are compatible with both the 10/22 rifle and charger pistol, but because they are sold expressly for the rifle only, they do not have a capacity limit.

If NO proceed to question 3. Since it isn't a rimfire, it must be a centerfire.

3. Is the magazine designed, marketed, or intended for use in a semi-automatic firearm?

If YES, your magazine is limited to 5 rounds. The exception is the M1 Garand, which holds 8 rounds in an en bloc clip. The use of pistol magazines in a rifle or shotgun is not regulated or controlled. For instance, the LAR pistol mags will fit in most ARs, making it legal to have a 10 round magazine. But you cannot have a PMAG pinned at 10 and say its for your pistol. LAR magazines are specifically labelled from the manufacturer as being for use in the pistol only. If you paint over the notice, you better be prepared to fight it in court, because you will likely be charged with possession of a prohibited device.

If NO, your magazine does not have a capacity limit. However, if your firearm is designed or marketed to be compatible with AR mags for example, the magazine must be limited to 5 rounds. Remington makes a pump action rifle like this, and Mossberg makes a bolt action. The factory mags are pinned in these cases. However, your AIA Enfield magazines will fit and function in a Norinco M14, making it legal to have 10 rounds. Again, these mags are clearly identified for their specific purpose.

Update: The capacity of the magazine not only applies to the firearm it was designed for, but also for the caliber that it was designed for. One notable example of this is the .50 Beowulf AR magazine. A 5 round .50BW magazine will actually hold 13 to 16 rounds of .223, depending on the location of the rivet, all without breaking a single law.

So there you have it. Magazine capacities in a nutshell. There are more exceptions and limitations than I've included here. As well, the information in the post above may not be up to date when accessed. Questar, one of the original importers of LAR mags, has some good information on their site: https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/shopcontent.asp?type=Mag%20Ruling

Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity

Background

The maximum capacity of a cartridge magazine is set out in Part 4 of the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted. The Regulations prescribe “prohibited devices”, and a magazine that has a capacity which exceeds the maximum permitted capacity is a prohibited device. Businesses can be in possession of prohibited devices if appropriately licensed. However, individuals may not possess prohibited devices.

The magazine regulations have been in force since 1993. However, in recent years, new cartridge magazines have been introduced which have resulted in novel situations as it concerns the application of the Regulations. There has been no change to the Regulations. Nonetheless, the application of the existing Regulations to a few new products has given the appearance of a change in the law. This has been particularly evident in the case of cartridge magazines designed or manufactured for more than one type of firearm.

Purpose

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide greater clarity on the maximum permitted capacity of cartridge magazines designed or manufactured for use in more than one kind of firearm. Note that the maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the physical characteristics of the firearm it is designed or manufactured for and the type of ammunition for which it is designed. The maximum permitted capacity of the magazine does not depend on the classification of the firearm, nor does the magazine capacity influence the classification of the firearm.

Current Issues

1. Magazines designed or manufactured for both rimfire calibre rifles and handguns

Magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle do not have a regulated capacity. However, magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the handgun limit of 10 cartridges.

Example:
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle and 15-22P pistol chambered for 22LR caliber:
• the 10 round magazine is unregulated
• the 25 round magazine is a prohibited device

2. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre rifles and handguns

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the limit of five cartridges.

Example:
Hi-Point rifle and handgun chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:
• magazine capacities over five rounds are prohibited.

3. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have a regulated capacity. Magazines that are designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles are subject to the semiautomatic rifle limit of five cartridges.

Example:
Remington model 7615 pump action rifle chambered for 223 Remington caliber:
• the 10 round magazine is prohibited
• the five round magazine is unregulated

4. Magazines designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm

The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

Example:
The Marlin model 45 (Camp Carbine) rifle chambered for 45 Auto caliber uses magazines designed and manufactured for the Colt 1911 handgun, therefore the seven round and eight round capacities are permitted. A similar example is the 10 round capacity magazine for the Rock River Arms LAR-15 pistol, regardless of the kind of firearm it is actually used in.

5. Magazines for semiautomatic handguns which contain more than ten (10) rounds of a different calibre

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun, are limited to 10 cartridges. The capacity is measured by the kind of cartridge the magazine was designed to contain. In some cases the magazine will be capable of containing more than 10 rounds of a different caliber; however that is not relevant in the determination of the maximum permitted capacity.

Example:
Heckler and Koch P7 pistol chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:
The magazine designed for the 40 S&W calibre variant of the pistol will hold 13 cartridges of 9mm Luger calibre and function in the 9mm Luger calibre P7 pistol. This is permissible as the maximum permitted capacity of the 40 S&W calibre magazine must be measured by the number of 40 S&W calibre cartridges it is capable of holding, which is 10 such cartridges in the case of the HK P7 pistol magazine.

For more information, please contact the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Good thread to have thanks JustBen. The subject has been touched on a little in some other threads but we need a dedicated thread for sure. Also - here is the link to the RCMP ruling on the matter - good to print of a copy to keep with ones records.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

BuckingFastard
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Good stuff, sticky please. Also Ben what's the rules on belt fed semis

JustBen
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Good stuff, sticky please. Also Ben what's the rules on belt fed semis

Not a clue! I know that a rimfire rifle shouldn't have a limit (ie Lakeside Razorback), but that's about all. Belt fed semis aren't that common in this country, I'd be interested to know how the law handles them.

jonanddad
06-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Stuck :) very nice write up

cep123
08-23-2012, 02:12 AM
I own an M1 Garand and wanted to use if for hunting but i was worried that the magazine capacity limit would be different like for shot guns that are only allowed 3 shots. Is there a similar regulation on rifle magazines or would i be able to hunt with the M1 Garand without any worries?

JustBen
08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I own an M1 Garand and wanted to use if for hunting but i was worried that the magazine capacity limit would be different like for shot guns that are only allowed 3 shots. Is there a similar regulation on rifle magazines or would i be able to hunt with the M1 Garand without any worries?

With the exception of migratory birds, hunting magazine capacities are a provincial issue. You would have to consult your provincial hunting regulations.

Haywire1
08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
as far as belt feds, if the belt is of a design predating 1950, no limit, if newer, then 5 rnd limit. for example, mg34, browning 1919 with cloth belts, and or 1919 links, and ma deuce all no limits, anything using m60 style links are 5 rnd limit. thats what I have been told anyway.

#1bcshooter
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
1945 not 1950

Mass-effect
01-16-2013, 08:09 AM
In Ontario we are (in every case) expected to never have more than 3 rounds in our magazine and chamber combined. If a firearm is unable to make that physical limitation, it is not legal to hunt with. From a phone call to the MNR in Ontario

blaxsun
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Excellent writeup! It may be advantageous at some point to include an update with respect to the .50 Beowulf magazines.

Xtreme
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
So if you had some pistol mags from an XCR-L you could use them in your XCR-L rifle? Handy for a 3 Gun.

blaxsun
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
So if you had some pistol mags from an XCR-L you could use them in your XCR-L rifle? Handy for a 3 Gun.

Yes.

JustBen
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Very handy for 3 gun. Unfortunately, it greats a disparity on the playing field for those that still have 5 round magazines (ie the guys running a M14). Some match directors go as far as to limit everyone to 5 rounds. I can see this becoming more common as the Beowulf magazines become more popular. That or I'm going to have to switch my platform.

Neetan
01-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Thank you Ben

I hope you did not mind I just reposted you note on the Ruger forum.

Good Job!

Neetan

westislandrifle
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
who has the .50 beowulf magazines id buy a bunch

TV-PressPass
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Very hard to find at the moment. Armtac has a pre-order going though! They're the main guys to score those from!

zguy
09-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Good thread to have thanks JustBen. The subject has been touched on a little in some other threads but we need a dedicated thread for sure. Also - here is the link to the RCMP ruling on the matter - good to print of a copy to keep with ones records.

There has been an update on that bulletin:

1. Magazines designed or manufactured for both rimfire calibre rifles and handguns

Magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle do not have a regulated capacity. However, magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the handgun limit of 10 cartridges.

Example:

the 10 round magazine is unregulated
the 25 round magazine is a prohibited device

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less. (*This information was not included in the original version of this bulletin, but was added on 2013-09-05.)

I'm guessing this applies to Buttler Creek 25/22 banana mags (http://www.butlercreek.com/products/magazine_banana.html) as well...

zguy
09-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Having read this thread, I'm suddenly wondering about something. I have a Beretta CX-4 Storm in 9mm which comes with 10 rounds mags. The CX-4 is restricted because of barrel length. But since it's a semi-auto carbine, in my understanding it should be limited to a 5 rounds mag.

I do know the CX-4 mag fit in the Beretta FS92 and M9 9mm handguns. And I would then expect these mags to fall into this category:

2. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre rifles and handguns

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the limit of five cartridges.

So, what's the part I'm not getting here? Not that I'm complaining... More rounds the merrier! ;) But it'd be nice to be able to explain it to a LEO if ever needed.

killer kane
09-06-2013, 08:12 PM
They should know whats up with the mag laws, B.S. that they are. After all they're the ones poking us up the rump with them. I doubt 90 plus percent would have a clue.

zguy
09-06-2013, 08:40 PM
They should know whats up with the mag laws, B.S. that they are. After all they're the ones poking us up the rump with them. I doubt 90 plus percent would have a clue.

That pretty much sums up what I think... Hence the question.

Edenchef
09-06-2013, 09:53 PM
That pretty much sums up what I think... Hence the question.

Sorry guys, but these are CFO's why should they bother to learn the applicable laws; they just make up they're own as they go along.

Cheers!

Kico
07-26-2015, 10:51 AM
There has been an update on that bulletin:

Example:

the 10 round magazine is unregulated
the 25 round magazine is a prohibited device

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less. (*This information was not included in the original version of this bulletin, but was added on 2013-09-05.)

I'm guessing this applies to Buttler Creek 25/22 banana mags (http://www.butlercreek.com/products/magazine_banana.html) as well...

Ummmm wait a second here..... so now ruger 10/22 mags from butler creek are now prohibited devices??? Someone should tell cabels that so they stop selling them over the counter on sale less then a month ago.
Is this true the butler creek mags are now prohib??
I was under the impression that was dropped??
Anyone have answer?

shadowwarrior
07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
If I recall the butler creek mags are for 10/22 rifle only so they are good to go.

Kico
07-26-2015, 03:33 PM
If I recall the butler creek mags are for 10/22 rifle only so they are good to go.

I am assuming then the GSG 100 round 10/22 must be under same clause then because they are selling those one also and seeing date on said restriction is 2013 and sale of said mags was in the last month.....

Either way I want to see something in witting so I can tell the so called know it alls that they are wrong but where do I find this witting from RC"s or our government??? Can anyone point me in right direction?

EDIT: OK So only the BX -25 mag is a prohib device??? Not the Butler creek or others???

kennymo
07-27-2015, 07:40 AM
^^ Edit is correct. There are two GSG drum mags as well. One has an itty bitty maple leaf on the front of the packaging. Supposedly the other one, though completely identical outside of the package is a sort of 'grey' item.... But that seems to stem from a dispute between a couple of importers, so who knows....

As for pulling items off the shelves, major retail chains react quickly to bans, it'd be disasterous to their bottom line to lose their license selling a prohibited item. If it's on the shelf, it's probably legit.

Kico
07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
^^ Edit is correct. There are two GSG drum mags as well. One has a itty bitty maple leaf on the front of the packaging. Supposedly the other one, though completely identical outside of the package is a sort of 'grey' item.... But that seems to stem from a dispute between a couple of importers, so who knows....

As for pulling items off the shelves, major retail chains react quickly to bans, it'd be disasterous to their bottom line to lose their license selling a prohibited item. If it's on the shelf, it's probably legit.

Thanks for that, I was under the same impression but many people read the only part 10/22 family and assume all mags that fit a ruger 10/22 rifle.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Silly question. Is taping two mags together illegal? Ya know "Jungle Style"

kennymo
01-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Silly question. Is taping two mags together illegal? Ya know "Jungle Style"

Nope. If you browse AR accessories, sooner or later you'll see a 'mag coupler', which locks two magazines together at their base for the exact same purpose. But if you're using tape, hell, stick ten of the buggers side by side if you want....

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Nope. If you browse AR accessories, sooner or later you'll see a 'mag coupler', which locks two magazines together at their base for the exact same purpose. But if you're using tape, hell, stick ten of the buggers side by side if you want....

Oh okay. It's another one of those things that aren't illegal... just scares liberals.

Waynetheman
01-21-2016, 01:20 AM

A lil something like this?

http://youtu.be/GQpfQd1397E

OEM
02-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Hey guy, in the actual firearms act, where does it say that we can use 10-rounders in semi-auto centrefire rifles? I've been poring over the SOR 98-462 part 3, but can't make head or tail of it.

I'm trying to educate the executive at my club about the actual magazine laws. I've already sent them bulletin 72 and would like to supplement it with the actual firearms law.

Part of the problem is that one of them apparently contacted the surrey firearms office as well as the firearms office in Ottawa and was told that 10-round mags were illegal whether on semi OR bolt action! Now I KNOW that's wrong. How do I prove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangeBob
02-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Hey guy, in the actual firearms act, where does it say that we can use 10-rounders in semi-auto centrefire rifles? I've been poring over the SOR 98-462 part 3, but can't make head or tail of it.

I think you mean SOR 98-462 part 4 section 3.

SOR/98-462

PART 4

PROHIBITED DEVICES

3. (1) Any cartridge magazine
(a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in
(i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,
(ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun,
(iii) an automatic firearm whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger,
(iv) the firearms of the designs commonly known as the Ingram M10 and M11 pistols, and any variants or modified versions of them, including the Cobray M10 and M11 pistols, the RPB M10, M11 and SM11 pistols and the SWD M10, M11, SM10 and SM11 pistols,
(v) the firearm of the design commonly known as the Partisan Avenger Auto Pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, or
(vi) the firearm of the design commonly known as the UZI pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, including the Micro- UZI pistol; or
(b) that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that
(a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
(i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,
(ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or
(iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;
(b) is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
(i) is commonly known as the Charlton Rifle,
(ii) is commonly known as the Farquhar-Hill Rifle, or
(iii) is commonly known as the Huot Automatic Rifle;
(c) is of the “drum” type, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm commonly known as
(i) the .303 in. Lewis Mark 1 machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Lewis Mark 1*, Mark 2, Mark 2*, Mark 3, Mark 4, Lewis SS and .30 in. Savage-Lewis, (ii) the .303 in. Vickers Mark 1 machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Mark 1*, Mark 2, Mark 2*, Mark 3, Mark 4, Mark 4B, Mark 5, Mark 6, Mark 6* and Mark 7, or
(iii) the Bren Light machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 2/1, Mark 3 and Mark 4;
(d) is of the “metallic-strip” type, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in conjunction with the firearm known as the Hotchkiss machine-gun, Model 1895 or Model 1897, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Hotchkiss machine-gun, Model 1900, Model 1909, Model 1914 and Model 1917, and the Hotchkiss machine-gun (Enfield), Number 2, Mark 1 and Mark 1*;
(e) is of the “saddle-drum” type (doppeltrommel or satteltrommel), is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in the automatic firearms known as the MG-13, MG-15, MG-17, MG-34, T6-200 or T6-220, or any variant or modified version of it; or
(f) is of the “belt” type consisting of a fabric or metal belt, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for the purpose of feeding cartridges into a automatic firearm of a type that was in existence before 1945.

(3) Paragraph (1)(b) does not include any cartridge magazine that
(a) is of the “snail-drum” type (schneckentrommel) that was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that is a handgun known as the Parabellum-Pistol, System Borchardt-Luger, Model 1900, or “Luger”, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Model 1902, Model 1904 (Marine), Model 1904/06 (Marine), Model 1904/08 (Marine), Model 1906, Model 1908 and Model 1908 (Artillery) pistols;
(b) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that is a semi-automatic handgun, where the magazine was manufactured before 1910;
(c) was originally designed or manufactured as an integral part of the firearm known as the Mauser Selbstladepistole C/96 (“broomhandle”), or any variant or modified version of it, including the Model 1895, Model 1896, Model 1902, Model 1905, Model 1912, Model 1915, Model 1930, Model 1931, M711 and M712; or
(d) was originally designed or manufactured for use in the semiautomatic firearm that is a handgun known as the Webley and Scott Self-Loading Pistol, Model 1912 or Model 1915.

(4) A cartridge magazine described in subsection (1) that has been altered or re-manufactured so that it is not capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be, of the type for which it was originally designed is not a prohibited device as prescribed by that subsection if the modification to the magazine cannot be easily removed and the magazine cannot be easily further altered so that it is so capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be.

(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), altering or re-manufacturing a cartridge magazine includes
(a) the indentation of its casing by forging, casting, swaging or impressing;
(b) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a steel or aluminum casing, the insertion and attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or aluminum, as the case may be, or of a similar material, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method; or
(c) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a casing made of a material other than steel or aluminum, the attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or of a material similar to that of the magazine casing, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method or by applying a permanent adhesive substance, such as a cement or an epoxy or other glue.

OEM
02-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Ah yes. That one. So where...explicitly, does it say what I want it to say? 😀

RangeBob
02-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Part of the problem is that one of them apparently contacted the surrey firearms office as well as the firearms office in Ottawa and was told that 10-round mags were illegal whether on semi OR bolt action! Now I KNOW that's wrong. How do I prove it?

The rule is 5 rounds in a centerfire semi auto,
unlimited in a rimfire or bolt,
rifle and shotgun.

Part 4 section 3(1)(a) says prohibited device is any cartridge magazine that "is capable of containing more than five cartridges ..."
The subsections of 3(1)(a), namely {i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi} all restrict that to semi-auto and full-auto and prescribed. (which excludes bolt)
Part 4 section 3(2)(a) excludes rimfire, which means that 3(1)(a) refers to centerfire.

Prescribed describes Lee Enfields that can be 10; and M1 Garand that can be 8, etc

RangeBob
02-15-2016, 04:42 PM
BTW, there's also

and

http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/CFSCmanualVer2.pdf
which has on page 126 the same sort of thing.

OEM
02-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Ah ok. But where does it say (except in Bulletin 72), that a magazine that is manufactured for a pistol or other bolt action rifle being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle?

Part 4 section 3(1)(a) says prohibited device is any cartridge magazine that "is capable of containing more than five cartridges ..."
The subsections of 3(1)(a), namely {i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi} all restrict that to semi-auto and full-auto and prescribed. (which excludes bolt)
Part 4 section 3(2)(a) excludes rimfire, which means that 3(1)(a) refers to centerfire.

So does this – 3(1)(a) – then mean that if it is manufactured for a semi-auto centrefire, it is prohibited, but if it is manufactured for bolt action, it is legal. And hence using the magazine in a semi-auto would be legal?

Thanks for trying RB, but man, this stuff makes my head hurt. :Bang head:

RangeBob
02-15-2016, 05:31 PM
where does it say that a magazine that is manufactured for a pistol ... being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle?

3(1)(a) says 'designed' twice, once about the magazine, and once about the firearm.

Prohibited
3. (1) (a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in
(i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,
(b) that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

So, any magazine that's designed for a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada is ok, subject to the 10 round limit.

where does it say that a magazine that is manufactured for a bolt action rifle being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle

It's not prohibited to move magazines between them {semi-auto rifle, bolt action rifle, handgun},
but if you use it in a semi-auto and it's not legal for a semi-auto, that's prohibited (somewhere),
but the second it's out of the semi-auto it's no longer prohibited (by this Part 4).

No special powers granted to the words 'bolt action',
unlike 'handgun' special powers granted by three uses of the word in section 3. (1),
the most dominant of which is 3. (1) (b) which is where the 10 round handgun limit comes from.

OEM
02-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Thank you sir!!

Metatron
08-19-2016, 03:01 AM
I have been hearing there might be some issues with the high capacity .22lr drum mags, rcmp saying it's always been illigal, though they have been on store shelves for over 9 years, does anyone know if this is true or heresy ?

Metatron
08-19-2016, 03:03 AM
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1434854-The-Year-of-the-magazine-RCMP-Info-sheet

Metatron
08-19-2016, 03:04 AM
This is the link related to the drum mags I was referring to, does anyone know I'f this is legit ?
If that's true thousands of .22 drum mag owners could be breaking the law without knowing.

TheHydrant
08-19-2016, 06:05 AM
This is the link related to the drum mags I was referring to, does anyone know I'f this is legit ?
If that's true thousands of .22 drum mag owners could be breaking the law without knowing.
Yup.
There's at least one thread about the 10/22 mags here somewhere.
All of the facts as we know them are there along with our many rants about the RCMP's decision.
Uncool indeed
Sorry I can't link it from my phone.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CLW .45
08-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Our problem is a law that prohibits cartridge magazines for firearms, based on their capacity.

That law has but one purpose, to support a civil disarmament agenda in Canada.

That is entirely unacceptable.

Therefore, the following actions must be taken.

Section 84 (1) (d) of the Criminal Code must be repealed.

The regulation (SOR98-462) that prescribes certain cartridge magazines as prohibited devices must be amended as follows:

Part 4 Section 3 (1) through 3 (5) (c) must be repealed.

RangeBob
08-19-2016, 10:58 PM
I have been hearing there might be some issues with the high capacity .22lr drum mags, rcmp saying it's always been illigal, though they have been on store shelves for over 9 years, does anyone know if this is true or heresy ?

This is the new one
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/notice-avis-2016-07-27-eng.htm
where they assert it's always been illegal, at least since 2007 when the Charger Pistol was invented.

and here's the one from 2013, aka "Bulletin 72".

There's at least one thread about the 10/22 mags here somewhere.
All of the facts as we know them are there

Absolutely everything you always wanted to know about Ruger 10/22 magazine limits in Canada, but were afraid to ask ...
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?32683-RCMP-is-prohibiting-all-Ruger-10-22-magazines-that-go-over-10-rounds

Yep.
Hundreds of thousands of Canadians.
1.25 million >10 round .22LR magazines sold.
Penalty around 10 years in prison.
And they didn't tell anybody.

Gun Nut
11-23-2016, 10:37 AM
In Ontario we are (in every case) expected to never have more than 3 rounds in our magazine and chamber combined. If a firearm is unable to make that physical limitation, it is not legal to hunt with. From a phone call to the MNR in Ontario

In looking at the information given, it would seem to imply that all firearms used for hunting in Ontario are limited to the 3 round rule. This is in fact not the case, ONLY shotguns are limited to the 3 round rule, because of their limited ranges and fear that having a greater capacity would result in game being lost to wounding. Hunting rifles in Ontario follow Federal regulation which only places of 5 round capacity magazine on center-fire semi-automatics rifle ( with a few exception). All manually repeating fire can be loaded to their capacity i.e. a bolt action .303 Enfield with a 10 round magazine capacity, can be used to hunt with having 10 rounds in the magazine. The rational behind the Ontario Hunting Regulations is whatever is not prohibited is legal. Ontario when it comes to hunting only places a legal limit on the number of rounds that can be used in a shotgun.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
-Gun Nut

Reggie
04-21-2017, 04:50 PM
This is correct, and is written in the Ontario MNRF hunting regulations summary: You must plug a semi-automatic or repeating shotgun so that it will not hold more than a total of three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
Also, it later states:
Under the Criminal Code of Canada you cannot possess any clip/magazine that holds more than five shots for a semi* automatic centrefire non-restricted firearm unless that clip/magazine has been specifically exempted, pursuant to the
federal regulations. Followed by a reference to the RCMP website. Furthermore, there are restrictions regarding the size of shot or slugs or rifle calibers used for various game, or for specific times or areas depending on what you're hunting.

Eun Pa
08-24-2017, 07:12 PM
I got a question. I know the Ruger 10/22 25 round magazine is prohibited. Are there other rimfire magazines with 20+ capacity that can work with a Ruger 10/22? Just wondering.

Haywire1
08-24-2017, 07:49 PM
I got a question. I know the Ruger 10/22 25 round magazine is prohibited. Are there other rimfire magazines with 20+ capacity that can work with a Ruger 10/22? Just wondering.

No there isnt

kennymo
08-24-2017, 08:27 PM

I believe Dlask is set to release a 10/22 receiver that uses different magazines very soon. I don't know the exact details....but it's probably not super cheap. Anything over 10 rounds that fits in the Ruger 10/22 is currently non-kosher though.

Aflip
10-09-2017, 01:32 AM
So two quick questions that I may sound like a total newbie for asking:
1. Could you use a LAR 15 pistol magazine, which is used in restricted firearms ie; pistols/AR style rifles, in a non restricted AR style rifle like the Bushmaster ACR DMR legally?
2. With M+M M10X-Z coming out, since it uses AK magazines, is there even a AK pistol magazine equivalent that you could get? Providing the answer to question 1. is yes?

JustBen
10-09-2017, 06:06 AM
So two quick questions that I may sound like a total newbie for asking:
1. Could you use a LAR 15 pistol magazine, which is used in restricted firearms ie; pistols/AR style rifles, in a non restricted AR style rifle like the Bushmaster ACR DMR legally?
2. With M+M M10X-Z coming out, since it uses AK magazines, is there even a AK pistol magazine equivalent that you could get? Providing the answer to question 1. is yes?

1. Yes
2. Yes - provided the magazine is available. I don't think they are available yet in Canada.

kennymo
10-09-2017, 09:26 AM
1. Yes
2. Yes - provided the magazine is available. I don't think they are available yet in Canada.

I saw a post elsewhere that someone is attempting to import an AK pistol magazine. Wasn't there a 7.62x39 AR pistol that used AK mags a couple years back? I seem to recall something of that nature.....

Aflip
10-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Thank you Kennymo for the clarification, it was one of those "I think so, but I can't find it, so..." questions. I found an older post from i run guns about them.

shiloh87
08-08-2018, 04:24 AM
I was at the range the other day with my lar mags and was told based on the latest bulletin regardless to the type of mag or its intended use, if a given rifle is intended to use only a 5 rnd mag than all you can put in a lar mag is 5 rnds.
The mag is not illegal, you can only load it to 10 rnds if you have a LAR-15

shootemup604
08-08-2018, 10:41 AM
That might be a range rule, but it isn't law.

shiloh87
08-08-2018, 06:09 PM
ya maybe