PDA

View Full Version : Movie Weapon Pet Peeves

Drache
03-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Here's a thread to talk about all the Pet Peeves concerning firearms in movies. For example, the 15 or so rounds fired by the Kevin Costner's colt in "Open Range" while he was fanning the hammer. Or maybe this one:

Was watching "Red" just now and this scene only flashes on the screen for a second but instantly something seemed wrong about it. So I went back to take another look. The scene was so fast it took me a couple tries to pause it right at the spot but let see if you all can notice what the problem is:

http://i.imgur.com/kqK0GqA.jpg

Coke
03-30-2015, 07:57 PM
It doesn't look like there is a magazine attached to the AR. You can see the sling under the mag well, with a gap...

FALover
03-30-2015, 08:05 PM
My common gripe is watching bullets leave a trail of sparks/flashes/flame when they hit anything in the area. I have shot up my fair share of cars and concrete and have yet to see anything other than dust and holes.

Ohno
03-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Maybe it is one of those flush-fit 5 rounders. The movie could have been shot in Canada and they wanted to comply with our gun laws. The MP5 in the background could be an airsoft for the same reasons.

Drache
03-30-2015, 08:07 PM
My common gripe is watching bullets leave a trail of sparks/flashes/flame when they hit anything in the area. I have shot up my fair share of cars and concrete and have yet to see anything other than dust and holes.

My personal favorite. Watching a belt fed browning shooting at normal cars and watch sparks fly as the rounds bounce off the sheet metal bodies without any damage (unless it hits a window in which case it breaks a single pane and not the one on the opposite side).

Waynetheman
03-30-2015, 08:18 PM
This is just the next evolution in Hollywood guns. First mags (or cylinders for that matter) that never run out except for when a dramatic pause is required. Now mags are completely done away with, it's technology.

BrotherRockeye
03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Actually, if you watch the directors cut of Open Range they did that on purpose to pay tribute to the old western where it was common. It bugged me too until I found out they did it on purpose.

The one that always bugs me is the cocked revolver with no firing pin on the hammer...

are you referring to that fellas optic being backwards?

BrotherRockeye
03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Actually, if you watch the directors cut of Open Range they did that on purpose to pay tribute to the old western where it was common. It bugged me too until I found out they did it on purpose.

The one that always bugs me is the cocked revolver with no firing pin on the hammer...

Drache
03-30-2015, 08:46 PM

The eotech is right, but there is no mag in the rifle

lone-wolf
03-30-2015, 09:02 PM
couches are bullet proof. As is drywall.

Maybe it is one of those flush-fit 5 rounders. The movie could have been shot in Canada and they wanted to comply with our gun laws. The MP5 in the background could be an airsoft for the same reasons.
Movies hire companies that have access to prohibs and what not for filming. Well budgeted ones anyways.

Drache
03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Bourne Identity

What is wrong in this picture? :D

http://i.imgur.com/VUxzawX.jpg

lone-wolf
03-30-2015, 09:06 PM
He's a master at instinctive shooting

Steveo9mm
03-30-2015, 09:08 PM
predator... carrying a minigun through a jungle with a million rounds....

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/bd/PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg/600px-PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg

Drache
03-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Red 2:

http://i.imgur.com/2syYSuA.jpg

Forbes/Hutton
03-30-2015, 09:11 PM
predator... carrying a minigun through a jungle with a million rounds....

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/bd/PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg/600px-PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg

What? You haven't?

Must be a city boy...

Drache
03-30-2015, 09:15 PM
What? You haven't?

Must be a city boy...

technically if you're strong enough :P

The M134 only weighs something like 90lbs or so and 800 rounds of 7.62 weighs about what, 60-70lbs?

Not that much weight to hump really ;)

Forbes/Hutton
03-30-2015, 09:23 PM
technically if you're strong enough :P

The M134 only weighs something like 90lbs or so and 800 rounds of 7.62 weighs about what, 60-70lbs?

Not that much weight to hump really ;)

You forgot the car battery to make the whole thing work.

Drache
03-30-2015, 09:36 PM
You forgot the car battery to make the whole thing work.

Not a car battery. The XM214 (5.56mm) used an onboard 24v NiCd battery that only weighed in at 5-6lbs. Lasted about 3000 rounds give or take. You can run the M134 of something similar weighing in at about 8-9lbs and good for about 1500-2000 rounds :p

The interesting thing is the XM214 was designed to be man portable, weighing in at only 25lbs for the gun itself (not including the battery), compared to the 80-90lbs of the M134.

Sabio
03-31-2015, 01:30 AM
One of my faves is the Hero running up the fire escape while the bad guys fire at them and all the bullets hit the railings and steps.

road kill
03-31-2015, 01:48 AM
I love it when somebody screws a silencer on to a revolver. Other than that i don't pay much attention to details, it's all entertainment sometimes poor as it is. I also don't pay attention to what the over hyped actors spout when not entertaining.

Fusilier
03-31-2015, 05:30 AM
My two favorites are "referring to a safety catch on a revolver" and whenever a hand grenade is lobbed into a room: a. It is always an old WW II pineapple, and b. the safety leaver is always still attached, just before it goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drache
03-31-2015, 08:23 AM
My two favorites are "referring to a safety catch on a revolver" and whenever a hand grenade is lobbed into a room: a. It is always an old WW II pineapple, and b. the safety leaver is always still attached, just before it goes off.

What about them always exploding into a really huge fireball?

TV-PressPass
03-31-2015, 08:30 AM
I recall my mother watching a particular episode of Bones where someone's got a carbine with an aimpoint on top. He goes to make a "precision shot" and shoves his eye into the optic. I always laughed at that.

Petamocto
03-31-2015, 08:35 AM
I would miss an entire day at work if I took the time to list them all.

As awesome as the final shootout scene in Heat is, there's one clip where a guy inside a car fires about 20 rounds out the windshield on automatic, and only 4-5 holes come through.

There's also the famous scene on The Walking Dead when Andrea is turning and she kills herself. The camera goes outside the room behind the locked door, where you hear the "bang" of the revolver, followed by an empty casing clinking on the floor.

Drache
03-31-2015, 10:31 AM
I recall my mother watching a particular episode of Bones where someone's got a carbine with an aimpoint on top. He goes to make a "precision shot" and shoves his eye into the optic. I always laughed at that.

Flashpoint. So many times they make precision shots with an MP5. One episode the guy is on top of a 10 story building. The MP5 has an aimpoint on top. He looks through the aimpoint and it turns into an 8x sniper rifle scope and he makes a precision shot on a cellphone on the street.

Petamocto
03-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Flashpoint. So many times they make precision shots with an MP5. One episode the guy is on top of a 10 story building. The MP5 has an aimpoint on top. He looks through the aimpoint and it turns into an 8x sniper rifle scope and he makes a precision shot on a cellphone on the street.

Maybe we just need more training.

:trool:

Strangeday
03-31-2015, 12:46 PM
I dislike watching Saving Private Ryan where the belted ammo for the 1919's don't have primers in the rounds....Blackhawk Down the belted ammo for the M60 is all blanks

BrotherRockeye
03-31-2015, 01:09 PM
empty revolver cylinders...obvious from the front...

TV-PressPass
03-31-2015, 03:26 PM
I dislike watching Saving Private Ryan where the belted ammo for the 1919's don't have primers in the rounds....Blackhawk Down the belted ammo for the M60 is all blanks

Augh! Don't ruin BHD for me!

FlyingHigh
03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
I just watch movies for the entertainment. Unless the gun handling is really really atrocious, nothing really bothers me. They're made in Hollywood. The people of Hollywood are tards and completely out of touch with reality. Which is what a movie is to me, a temporary escape from reality. When I put a movie in, I do it to enjoy some cheap entertainment. I don't feel the need to pick apart inaccuracies.

Laramie Longhorn
03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Endlessly re-cocking their guns. It should be loaded and ready to go. But they shoot a few times, then Click-Click at the hero when they have him (or think they do). Shotguns are the worst.

Oh, TWD had a good one on the last episode. The Wolves automatic went click-click-click when test fired by Morgan.

bettercallsaul
03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
My biggest pet peeve is how they portray silencers/suppressors in movies & TV shows, which has distorted the perception of ignorant movie watchers for decades.

I'm convinced that the biggest reason why they are illegal in Canada is because of idiots who watch too many movies.

BrotherRockeye
03-31-2015, 06:15 PM
My biggest pet peeve is how they portray silencers/suppressors in movies & TV shows, which has distorted the perception of ignorant movie watchers for decades.

I'm convinced that the biggest reason why they are illegal in Canada is because of idiots who watch too many movies.

You hit that nail on the head ;D

lb1234
03-31-2015, 07:35 PM
The sound of a hammer cocking when the shooter is holding a Glock.

Edward Teach
04-02-2015, 02:26 PM
"Swapping out firing pins"...nuff said.

Drache
04-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Taken 3:

Hiding behind a dead guy and using him as a shield against a bad gun shooting 5.56mm from 6 feet away.

BrotherRockeye
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
how big was the dead guy? :p

Reeferman
04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
I try not to let it bother me unless its really bad. Can't remember what show it was but you hear the sound of a pump shotgun being racked and buddy is holding double barrel shotgun.

Sabio
04-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Whenever someone moves a gun there is always a metallic clinking or rattle sound. |Or when they pull out a pistol there is the 'cocking' sound effect, even when it is a revolver.

blacksmithden
04-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Here here ! I'll second, third, and forth that ! It's the ONLY reason they're prohibited here. Fear mongering by idiots who's main education was Hollywood movies. The complete absence of intellect it took to ban them, and the fact that Canadians actually elected them, is a national embarrassment.

Swampdonkey
04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Some movies are supposed to be hokey like Boondock Saints or The Princess Bride.

Some movies are meant to be epic larger-than-life stories like spaghetti westerns (originally written as operas) and Robin Hood.

But movies that take themselves seriously often sell themselves short by exaggerating physics. In such cases it cancels the suspense of the scene and reminds me that the protagonist can't die yet and that justice will eventually be done and whatever bimbo he met will live happily ever after.

BrotherRockeye
04-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Thread: Movie Weapon Pet Peeves

Pizzed
04-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Endlessly re-cocking their guns. It should be loaded and ready to go. But they shoot a few times, then Click-Click at the hero when they have him (or think they do). Shotguns are the worst. Yeah the gratuitous cocking bugs me. I pointed this out to the wife and said that the gun was effectively unloaded and that the shooter has been running around all this time unprepared to fire - it's all done for effect. She now points out to me how stupid it is. :)

Swampdonkey
04-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Thread: Movie Weapon Pet Peeves

I'm getting at the endless magazines and mile-long shots against moving targets. It's not out of place for five men to be shot off the hip in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but it cheapens the show in the Bourne Identity. The details of the movie ought to harmonize with the abstracts.

Haywire1
04-03-2015, 10:08 AM
My issues arent just with movies. In TWD several times the characters shoot a zombie in the head at 50+ yards with a 9mm. Then in the prison tank scene one character says he can make the shot, the other says but its a long one, its 100 yards. Rifle was a 30-30. As far as movies, silencers on shotguns, silencers on revolvers. Mostly I have how every pistol sounds the same, every rifle sounds the same, and the more or less complete lack of anything resembling proper tactics for room clearing, building entry etc.. Altho the last point has improved. Also, if everything on the planet is bulletproof why is there an issue with ccw? I mean drywall, refridgerators, couches are all bulletproof so whats the issue rofl

Ironsight Kustoms
04-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Endless magazines.... I dunno about you but my 870 and 1911 don't hold eleventy-billion rounds before needing a reload.

bettercallsaul
04-03-2015, 04:34 PM
As awesome as the final shootout scene in Heat is, there's one clip where a guy inside a car fires about 20 rounds out the windshield on automatic, and only 4-5 holes come through.

That continuity mistake aside, I still can't think of a movie/scene with better gun-play than the final bank heist.

Let's watch it, just for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Strangeday
04-04-2015, 07:49 AM
The sound of a hammer cocking when the shooter is holding a Glock.

I hate it when they have a glock and everyone talks about the safety being on

BigRhino
04-04-2015, 12:08 PM
No Recoil...I hate that 12g movie guns dont recoil.

road kill
04-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Just watched a rerun of The Last Stand with Arnold as a small town sheriff, so much bad acting and wild shooting i can't begin to recount it all. But hey it's entertainment. I like Johnny Knocksville though, he's a riot.

Strangeday
04-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Just watched the Bourne Identity....the Marines in the US Embassy scene don't have sights (or carry handles) on their rifles (well some of them don't)

Drache
04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Just watched the Bourne Identity....the Marines in the US Embassy scene don't have sights (or carry handles) on their rifles (well some of them don't)

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?21720-Movie-Weapon-Pet-Peeves&p=238922&viewfull=1#post238922

Beat ya to it :D

Steveo9mm
04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
when the mag goes empty on a semi auto and they pull the trigger 5 times.... it breaks every time.

Gunny_Guns
04-06-2015, 12:52 AM
I just watched Die Hard 2 and i think that movie is the worst for it!! An aluminum grate stops a bullet? 50 million shots out of a beretta, I could go on and on and on!

Strangeday
04-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Broken City...in the opening scene which is supposed to be 1984 Walhberg is using a Glock 17/22 as his NYPD Firearm. Glocks were not exported to the USA until 1985. Semi Autos were not issued to the NYPD until 1986 and the 17/22 have never been issued to the NYPD. FYI the NYPD allows only 9mm and .38spl handguns to be used at present.

lone-wolf
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
People who shoot handguns by punching them forward while doing it. Are you trying to fling the bullets out of the firearm?

BlackthorneMedia
04-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Guys draws his pistol, shoots the bad guy with one round, .......and the slide locks back.

Carry with one in the pipe and nothing else? BAD ASS! LOL

Mack-intosh
04-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Not a pet peeve because you'd be an idiot to believe this works... but this was funny for me :)

https://youtu.be/lGZQi3ODB-U?t=11

TV-PressPass
04-06-2015, 03:32 PM
People who shoot handguns by punching them forward while doing it. Are you trying to fling the bullets out of the firearm?

What? I always do that man. Makes sure the bad guys know your seriously angry.

lone-wolf
04-06-2015, 05:05 PM
What? I always do that man. Makes sure the bad guys know your seriously angry.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/961/961789.jpg

FightingShiba's
04-06-2015, 09:45 PM
when the mag goes empty on a semi auto and they pull the trigger 5 times.... it breaks every time.

I hate that as well. One of my favorite shows was guilty of this. Walking Dead season finale this year when the Wolves' were trying to steal Morgan's supplies. Bad guy pulled the trigger on a semi-auto pistol 4 or 5 times. Each time there was a click.

lone-wolf
04-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Maybe every movie gun is double action?

Haywire1
04-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Another one. Everything in the movie "Wanted". Enjoy the movie, dislike the alternative physics. Altho it would be handy for hunting.

Satain
04-07-2015, 02:52 PM
LoL!!!
Just about the same as that Angeline Jolie movie about bending bullets.

kennymo
04-07-2015, 04:01 PM
http://www.dorkly.com/post/73410/things-that-bug-me-about-guns-in-movies

Steveo9mm
04-08-2015, 07:31 AM
kingdom of the crystal skull....... holding up the gun in one hand and then the sound of a racking slide.....

FlyingHigh
04-09-2015, 06:09 PM
LoL!!!
Just about the same as that Angeline Jolie movie about bending bullets.

That would be the movie "Wanted" which Haywire was talking about. ;)

livewire0129
04-09-2015, 09:29 PM
I hate that as well. One of my favorite shows was guilty of this. Walking Dead season finale this year when the Wolves' were trying to steal Morgan's supplies. Bad guy pulled the trigger on a semi-auto pistol 4 or 5 times. Each time there was a click.

Morgan was holding a Sig. Sigs are sa da, so hearing it click each time he pulled the trigger was accurate.

FightingShiba's
04-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Morgan was holding a Sig. Sigs are sa da, so hearing it click each time he pulled the trigger was accurate.

The guy from the Wolves had a Sig? Didn't recognize it. Thanks for the correction.

RangeBob
05-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Bad woman holding a 1911 pistol.
Good, but inexperienced bounty hunter guy the only one in the camera frame, we hear the 1911 fire four rounds (probably to save on production costs we don't see the gun firing).
Good, but inexperienced bounty hunter guy, falls down (no blood, no wounds, but we can assume. Cost saving on squids).
Bad woman steps forward, 1911 pointed at the ceiling, and there's no magazine in the grip (the cost savings thing again).

labradort
05-18-2016, 01:41 PM
My pet peeve is the speed of sound is rarely respected. When something far away goes boom, you are going to see it before you hear it. They tend to get that right for nuclear explosions but nothing else.

I was at an air show once where a plane crashed into Lake Ontario about 1 KM from shore. The clap of hitting the water came a couple of seconds after seeing it hit. Eye witnesses reported to radio stations that the plane exploded before it crashed - because their brain registered the sight and sound were not synced, but they got the real order backwards.

Weekend Gunslingers
05-18-2016, 08:37 PM
NCIS calling the murder weapon a "Sig" when it is clearly a Glock 34. And the fact that everyone goes ape with their full autos in a warehouse and nobody goes deaf! It all just adds to the rubbish people believe about guns.

Mark-II
05-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Whenever someone moves a gun there is always a metallic clinking or rattle sound. |Or when they pull out a pistol there is the 'cocking' sound effect, even when it is a revolver.

That bugs me about movies with swords in them - the metal on metal rasp of drawing them. Every sword. Every time. Identical sound.

Like the pew pew sound of a "silencer"

Peeve? How folks can shoot handguns or shotguns in enclosed places, garages, hallways, offices, etc and act like it hasn't deafened them or concussed them in the slightest.
Yet they will have ear and eye pro on the range...

LB303
05-19-2016, 10:11 AM
...and those sound effects like a ping-pong paddle whacking a rump roast, or breaking chopsticks, when the hand-to-hand commences

TheHydrant
05-19-2016, 06:02 PM
One handed shotgunning with zero recoil.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Mobusten
05-19-2016, 07:24 PM
My pet peeve is the speed of sound is rarely respected. When something far away goes boom, you are going to see it before you hear it. They tend to get that right for nuclear explosions but nothing else.

I was at an air show once where a plane crashed into Lake Ontario about 1 KM from shore. The clap of hitting the water came a couple of seconds after seeing it hit. Eye witnesses reported to radio stations that the plane exploded before it crashed - because their brain registered the sight and sound were not synced, but they got the real order backwards.

Yeah that bugs me too, seeing an explosion a mile away and hearing the boom at the exact same moment.

Also I see a lot of people going in to rooms, 1911 drawn, or pointing it in someones face about to shoot them, but the hammer is down.

In Killing Them Softly when Brad Pitt does that drive by, and they do a super slow-mo close-up of the gun, and the cases ejecting are all obvious blanks.

And one of the biggest ones in TWD for me was when the prison was being overrun and Rick and Carl were both just gunnin with their AR's, Rick runs out, reloads, immediately smashes a zombie with the butt without firing a shot, and then Carl tosses him a brand new mag and he reloads again.

TheHydrant
05-20-2016, 06:28 AM
The Cobra Assault Cannon from RoboCop. Made up name but a 50 cal obviously and the bad guys were shooting from the hip and even from the crotch with it.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/4b67243b7db69b709f314f7945f4f8ea.jpg

kennymo
05-20-2016, 06:57 AM
One handed shotgunning with zero recoil.

Hey, it's perfectly plausible that a time travelling assassin robot strong enough to bend steel could one hand a 12 gauge without any ill effect. And also accurately fire a 7.62 minigun from the hip. ;)

Steveo9mm
05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
I love how nobody ever has any reaction to the noise. World war Z, firing a rifle in a concrete stairwell in front of the family...

RangeBob
06-18-2016, 01:53 PM
5 Gun Myths You Probably Believe (Thanks to Movies)
We just can't believe that Hollywood would lie to us like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKv99j1TV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKv99j1TV0

RangeBob
10-06-2016, 03:03 AM
In the television series "Scorpion", episode "Civil War", they used a trebuchet on a dock to throw a 4' diameter ball of aluminum foil at a US warship.
The US warship's Phalanx CIWS (radar-guided 20 mm Gatling gun, 75 rounds/second) fired a several second burst at it.
Assuming that 30 of the rounds hit the aluminum foil ball, then 350 rounds went into the city of Los Angeles.

(beware your target, and what's beyond)

The CIWS also fired at an approaching 15' outboard motor boat, and missed because the driver turned left.

BTW, the show's purpose of throwing the aluminum foil ball, was to replicate WWII radar chaff. As I recall, the length of the strips is optimal if they're a multiple of the wavelength of the radar. I'm thinking that shooting an aluminum foil ball with 20 mm rounds, might not cut the aluminum foil into, for example, 80 centimetre by 1.9 centimetre lengths, or such sizes needed to block satellite military communications.

Foxer
10-06-2016, 03:44 AM
The CIWS also fired at an approaching 15' outboard motor boat, and missed because the driver turned left.Yeah, but he was SIGNALLING a right hand turn. That's what threw it off. Little known fact.

triq
10-06-2016, 03:48 AM
In the television series "Scorpion", episode "Civil War", they used a trebuchet on a dock to throw a 4' diameter ball of aluminum foil at a US warship.
The US warship's Phalanx CIWS (radar-guided 20 mm Gatling gun, 75 rounds/second) fired a several second burst at it.
Assuming that 30 of the rounds hit the aluminum foil ball, then 350 rounds went into the city of Los Angeles.

(beware your target, and what's beyond)

The CIWS also fired at an approaching 15' outboard motor boat, and missed because the driver turned left.

BTW, the show's purpose of throwing the aluminum foil ball, was to replicate WWII radar chaff. As I recall, the length of the strips is optimal if they're a multiple of the wavelength of the radar. I'm thinking that shooting an aluminum foil ball with 20 mm rounds, might not cut the aluminum foil into, for example, 80 centimetre by 1.9 centimetre lengths, or such sizes needed to block satellite military communications.

Sorry RangeBob but you lost me at "Scorpion". Haven't watched that show since the silly episode in the antarctic. So many fails.

lone-wolf
10-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Guys on fb pointed out Mcguyver's shoot out scene includes pistols with non-recoiling slides and a nice cgi fireball
That clip, used to advertise the show, totally ruined any chance of me actually watching an episode.

Strewth
10-06-2016, 09:18 AM
I always found it weird that in the movies, full auto small arms go clickclickclickclick to illustrate to the audience that they're empty. Why edit in that sound? Just have your character reload, or look at the gun (or immediately dive for cover....)?
Pet peeve might be how every car in the movies has bullet proof doors to hide behind, although I try for FlyingHigh's sentiment in post #30, and leave my brain at the door for action movies.
Patiently waiting for John Wick 2. Moar mag changes. Not sure on the Centre-Axis Relock pistol maneuvers, but it does look cool on the screen, and keeping your firearm in tight to your chest while indoors with multiple blind corners and multiple threats is probably not a terrible idea.
Wouldn't mind a Way of the Gun 2 either...

livewire0129
10-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Westworld has a robot hand pulling the trigger on a single action army, causing the hammer to cock and the cylinder to rotate. Other than that, a great first episode!

Steveo9mm
10-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Bullet to the head.... China man apparantly takes out the firing pin from rambos gun. in the car, with no tools. rambo later figures out that his firing pin was removed just by opening the slide and looking at it in the middle of a fight in a bath house?

Mobusten
10-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Watching the Purge: Anarchy

Terrible movie, but I'll see it through.

Not a huge pet peeve, just something I noticed.. Tough guy of the story puts his pistol down on a dresser and the gun rolls a little with the weight of the slide and the grip bounces up and stays up, indicative of just how empty the gun is.

Mobusten
11-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Just watched November Man with Pierce Brosnan. One angle the bad guy is holding what looks like a Walther P99 and the next frame it's become a SIG. :FP1

FlyingHigh
11-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Watched Gridlocked. I don't usually pick stuff apart but this line got me.

"The loudest sound in the world is the slide locking back".

Funny...I've never been able to hear my slide lock back because of the deafening boom of my gun going off at the same time....

Anyways, the line is supposed to be something like "The loudest sounds are nothing when it should have gone boom and boom when it should have done nothing".

FlyingHigh
11-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Wouldn't mind a Way of the Gun 2 either...

OMG yes please!!!

wolver
11-05-2016, 10:00 AM
How about a holstered cap 'n ball revolver with cartridges in the shell loops. One of the "Good and the Bad and the Ugly" gunfights.

Kobs
11-10-2016, 02:58 PM
In agent 47, it's bad when they take you for an idiot but really bad when they do slow motion pieces and you actually see the blank cartridge come out :Bang head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gESs72R9uHo

Mobusten
11-11-2016, 09:28 AM
In agent 47, it's bad when they take you for an idiot but really bad when they do slow motion pieces and you actually see the blank cartridge come out :Bang head:

There was a potentially cool scene ruined by that same thing in "Killing Them Softly" when Brad Pitt (I think?) Does a drive by.

DTC709
11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
I've only just started scrutinizing movies and shows in the past year or so. But it's awesome to read through this and see how much actually goes on.

Most recently the girlfriend was watching Criminal Minds and one of the agents used a dragunov in a sniper scene. Now you could argue he had it from his own personal collection, but I'm going to say doubtful and it was a fail.

Run 'n' Gun
11-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Same in RED 2 when Han is shooting at Moses and Marvin with a chain gun mounted in a van. They slow mo on the empty cases falling, and you can see the crimped ends on the brass.

lone-wolf
11-23-2016, 01:30 PM
With the amount of CGI effects being thrown around, I welcome the sight of blank shells being used.

RangeBob
11-26-2016, 04:10 AM
Extinction (2015) [do not watch]
He's got a lever action.
With the lever back against the stock he looks at the ejection port (which is closed) to verify the chamber is empty and the tube magazine has no more rounds to feed. Satisfied it's unloaded, he opens/forwards the lever, and does not glance at the action.

It looked to me that someone had shown the actor what to do, he got the order wrong, and the director either didn't know or didn't care.

FlyingHigh
11-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Just watched Speed 2. Yeah, yeah I know.

Anyways. The guy is running around with a semi-auto skeet shotgun and making the motions of it being a pump action. They even dubbed in the sound of the action racking and the empty hull hitting the floor. I shouted at the TV...

lone-wolf
11-26-2016, 11:56 AM
I was watching Elementary and sherlock said something that was incorrect regarding a pistol.
I had to stop watching. I don't even remember what the error was, but it annoyed me greatly that the character of sherlock would be mistaken, that it took me right out of the story.
I'll stick to BBC's version

Plinker 777
12-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Oh how dost thou peeve me, let me count the ways. Almost too many fails to count, (It's alright though, their Delta Force ;D) one thing is the gasoline bomb special effect. In movies whether it's a fragmentation grenade, C4, HE artillery rounds, even a fertilizer truck bomb in one movie I recall...it's always a big orange flaming explosion with a tonne of jet black (carbon) smoke (=gasoline or similar petroleum base fuel).

https://youtu.be/pTPjWrDmsZ0?t=1

In real life, explosions look like this.

https://youtu.be/JETIRLM1paE?t=2

BrotherRockeye
12-26-2016, 08:08 PM
lately I have noticed 40cal being referred to as 40mm...as in 9mm, 40mm.

I know it's piddly but doesn't anyone that works on movies know anything about iron?

WSA
12-27-2016, 01:19 AM
That continuity mistake aside, I still can't think of a movie/scene with better gun-play than the final bank heist.

Let's watch it, just for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

I always wondered if in a situation like this, the police would pull back a bit due to civilian danger. I know in the Hollywood shootout they didn't, but this seems like a much more populated area.

JustBen
12-27-2016, 07:32 AM
My biggest complaint is when people point an uncocked single action pistol. And then it fires?

I remember watching westerns with the old man and him getting irked that they were shooting iron that shouldn't have existed yet.

Plinker 777
12-27-2016, 11:10 AM
I always wondered if in a situation like this, the police would pull back a bit due to civilian danger. I know in the Hollywood shootout they didn't, but this seems like a much more populated area.

With certainty. Containment and mitigation becomes priority 1.

BrotherRockeye
12-27-2016, 12:59 PM
...when you can see the blank crimps on ejected brass...just sad...

RangeBob
12-29-2016, 05:58 AM
Star Trek Voyager, episode "The Killing Game".
Tom Paris fires an M1 Garand. He fires a few rounds and then the enbloc clip pops out silently. He successfully fires one more round without reloading.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/8f/STV_204.jpg

Plinker 777
12-29-2016, 10:09 AM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/8f/STV_204.jpg

...and she's clearly never held a firearm before.

lone-wolf
12-29-2016, 10:18 AM
...and she's clearly never held a firearm before.

look at all the stress winkles she's getting from it ;) lol

RevDrMarty
01-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Just watched Heat. GREAT movie, but like you'd expect from 1990s Hollywood their gun scenes can be pretty ridiculous.
One notable point that sticks in my head is I think DeNiro cocking his pistol, just thumbing back, and it sounds like the entire slide slamming home.

That said though, the movie was released in 1995, and in 1997 was the North Hollywood shootout, and if you spliced in parts of one with the other, you'd need to pay fairly close attention to tell what was the real event and what wasn't. I suppose that is a victory for Hollywood, in a sobering kind of way.

RangeBob
03-04-2018, 12:02 AM
bad word. bend the path
http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/69/42/2da1ad56a304134466f452ef1ab7f91e.jpg

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/97/52/17642cb3bdf1f982439a50ea07f95c20.jpg

http://2.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/60/71/eeb4092dc3602f9f221cc8bea6f25be5.jpg

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/55/99/f82fa42047b52e16cec8ffdd4a5a111f.jpg

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/27/28/d2527e8f6bd96ab244b63da31c510bac.jpg

Ruff
03-04-2018, 08:42 AM
^^^ Yeah, that's what the laser beams on handguns are for!

Ruff
03-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Call it Freudian if you want, but I have a real dislike of the size worship seen in some movies: I refer to handguns. It basically started with Dirty Harry and his stupid semi-portable .44 Magnum but it got to be a thing for quite a while. I remember with particular dislike a scene in one of the later Death Wish movies where Charles Bronson is showing off his gigantic handgun to an adoring elderly Jewish couple. "Dis is my gun, it's a really big gun, it's da biggest gun der is, ain't no gun bigger than my gun and no one can touch me when I have a big gun as big as dis big gun." Meanwhile, the old folks are beaming and practically squirming with joy, like a pair of puppies. There were also some parodies of this sort of thing in otherwise serious movies but they only seemed to make things worse.

MetisWolf
03-04-2018, 09:53 AM
How about from "True Lies" When the lady drops the SMG and as it rolls down the stairs, it's constantly firing rounds and killing people?

Drache
03-04-2018, 10:37 AM
How about from "True Lies" When the lady drops the SMG and as it rolls down the stairs, it's constantly firing rounds and killing people?

If the seer is really warn out, I do believe it could be possible.

Jay.ec
03-04-2018, 02:05 PM
In an early episode of Arrow they had the titular character stop a grenade from a Milkor Mk 1L with an aluminum trashcan lid. The grenade explodes in a puff of smoke and fire and a fizzle of sparks. I'll grant that if he was close enough then the grenade may not have armed. But it "exploded" so it was actually armed. The titular character should have been pasted.

The Walking Dead is also a pretty big offender for showcasing bad firearms usage.
They've shown a few times that rotten zombie corpses would stop rifle bullets in the first zombie. But a zombie should have a weakened structure (no regeneration of tissue or bone) so it'd be weaker and offer less resistance to bullets. So, by rights, a bullet should pass right through multiple zombies. Even using a living human as a shield wouldn't be a great idea since many bullets can punch right through (especially higher caliber ones).

The constant use of firearms without ear pro is also be a massive issue, I would think they'd be suffering a fair bit of hearing loss. And in a zombie apocalypse the ability to hear, I would think, would be a massive concern since the dead do make noise as they shamble along.

Beyond that typical gripes like: pumping the shotgun when not needed, perfect suppressors, 30 shots from a 15 round magazine, etc...

wolver
03-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Movies and TV can be torn apart by every hobbiest 'bout it's reality pertaining to a known subject. It's for entertainment, not education.

Drache
03-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Sand Castle - Calling the tanks Abrams when they are actually Iraqi T72

chuckbuster
03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
A specific scene that has always bugged me is the opening hotel shootout in 48hrs. Nick Nolte's Model 29 is fired 7 or 8 times by him without reloading, and then 9 times by the bad guy; again without reloading.

Mobusten
03-05-2018, 04:46 AM
In an early episode of Arrow they had the titular character stop a grenade from a Milkor Mk 1L with an aluminum trashcan lid. The grenade explodes in a puff of smoke and fire and a fizzle of sparks. I'll grant that if he was close enough then the grenade may not have armed. But it "exploded" so it was actually armed. The titular character should have been pasted.

The Walking Dead is also a pretty big offender for showcasing bad firearms usage.
They've shown a few times that rotten zombie corpses would stop rifle bullets in the first zombie. But a zombie should have a weakened structure (no regeneration of tissue or bone) so it'd be weaker and offer less resistance to bullets. So, by rights, a bullet should pass right through multiple zombies. Even using a living human as a shield wouldn't be a great idea since many bullets can punch right through (especially higher caliber ones).

The constant use of firearms without ear pro is also be a massive issue, I would think they'd be suffering a fair bit of hearing loss. And in a zombie apocalypse the ability to hear, I would think, would be a massive concern since the dead do make noise as they shamble along.

Beyond that typical gripes like: pumping the shotgun when not needed, perfect suppressors, 30 shots from a 15 round magazine, etc...

Yeah when a fire truck hose can spray 15 zombies to pieces, makes me wonder if they even have the biting power to penetrate skin or if their bite would just send their own teeth through their own jaws and leave a mushy paste on your arm.

Polish_Sausage
03-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Walking Dead - Andrea takes a revolver and goes into the locked room to kill herself. You hear BANG, and then an ejected case hitting the floor.

Polish Sausage

Ruff
03-07-2018, 09:40 AM
TWD, where every shot from everyone is a miraculous head shot and Rick can singlehand his Python at forehead level (so it can't block the camera shot of his pretty face) and most often point it at the ground five feet in front of him... and yet still hit his target every. damn. time.

http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/13959_1.jpg

RobertMcC
04-05-2018, 11:52 AM

The Lady is Jamie Lee Curtis, I frapped alot to her. Those LEGS !!!

Doug_M
04-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Frapped? Thatís a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

road kill
04-05-2018, 04:53 PM
What's frapped........................is that a millennial term.

RobertMcC
04-05-2018, 06:24 PM
What's frapped........................is that a millennial term.

Well I was 10 when the movie came out. And the strip scene I got the eye covered.

road kill
04-06-2018, 05:23 AM
What, now you are telling us you only have one eye.

shootemup604
04-06-2018, 08:12 AM
I think she also does a very nice 'display' in "Trading Places"

mister donut
04-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Augh! Don't ruin BHD for me!

A lot of the guns were rubber, including Hoot's when he said "this is my safety". Not really pet peeve, but it will make you wonder next time you watch it, lol!

Well I was 10 when the movie came out. And the strip scene I got the eye covered.

That strip scene got me hard.

RangeBob
10-13-2018, 11:30 PM
"The Post (2017)", Steven Spielberg, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks
The Post depicts the true story of attempts by journalists at The Washington Post to publish the Pentagon Papers, classified documents regarding the 30-year involvement of the United States government in the Vietnam War.

The movie starts with a bunch of American soldiers in Vietnam firing M14 rifles.
Admittedly there should be less recoil with these than an M1 Garand or 30-06 bolt action, but there was no recoil at all.
My bet is they were not even loaded with blanks, and the muzzle flashes were added digitally.
Should be 7.62◊51mm NATO (sort of .308 Winchester).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/M14_Stand-off_Munitions_Disruptor_%28SMUD%29_%287414626342%2 9.jpg/320px-M14_Stand-off_Munitions_Disruptor_%28SMUD%29_%287414626342%2 9.jpg

Forbes/Hutton
10-14-2018, 01:29 AM
"The Post (2017)", Steven Spielberg, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks
The Post depicts the true story of attempts by journalists at The Washington Post to publish the Pentagon Papers, classified documents regarding the 30-year involvement of the United States government in the Vietnam War.

The movie starts with a bunch of American soldiers in Vietnam firing M14 rifles.
Admittedly there should be less recoil with these than an M1 Garand or 30-06 bolt action, but there was no recoil at all.
My bet is they were not even loaded with blanks, and the muzzle flashes were added digitally.
Should be 7.62◊51mm NATO (sort of .308 Winchester).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/M14_Stand-off_Munitions_Disruptor_%28SMUD%29_%287414626342%2 9.jpg/320px-M14_Stand-off_Munitions_Disruptor_%28SMUD%29_%287414626342%2 9.jpg

You watched a movie with Meryl Streep, but this is what bugs you? I would have gouged my eyes out during her first scene and burst my eardrums with firecrackers during her second, but if you're okay with her....... :FP2

TheHydrant
02-22-2019, 05:34 AM
https://youtu.be/ynQ9b-IQ2Ps

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

RangeBob
03-08-2019, 06:57 PM
True Lies sticks in my mind because when I saw it, the scene where the gun rolls down the stairs and shoots all the badies made me go "oh my god, that is one of most the outrageously Hollywood thing I have ever seen!" Then some years later I saw La Totale (thank you SBS), the French film on which True Lies is based, and it has exactly the same sequence and I forced to think "well... shows what I know". It's not often I feel like I have judged America too harshly. ;)
-- adamt

labradort
03-08-2019, 07:52 PM
I have not read the entire thread, but has anyone seen a movie where rounds are loaded into mags, not just mags inserted or discarded?

I'd like to see movies like Die Hard redone with many scenes of using the UpLULA...

Drache
03-08-2019, 08:08 PM
I have not read the entire thread, but has anyone seen a movie where rounds are loaded into mags, not just mags inserted or discarded?

I'd like to see movies like Die Hard redone with many scenes of using the UpLULA...

Last Man Standing:

Just the one scene and you see tons of mags, but for the most time it's unlimited magazines when shooting.

SIR VEYOR
03-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Battlefield Los Angeles
Shooter
And retro - “The Park is Mine” (and an interesting insight into pre-Swat mentalities)

wolver
03-09-2019, 12:16 PM
I'd like to hear from any veterans, as to if soldiers were actually so nonchalant 'bout not doing up their helmet chinstraps while engaging in action,
or if it's just more Hollywood BS, trying to make the men look cool.

wai556
03-09-2019, 07:47 PM
I'd like to hear from any veterans, as to if soldiers were actually so nonchalant 'bout not doing up their helmet chinstraps while engaging in action,
or if it's just more Hollywood BS, trying to make the men look cool.

I was not in any war, but did my time. I can tell you that we all have the chin straps on tight, otherwise the steel helmet would shift around when we run, crawl and would fall off !! Losing your helmet while doing a fire and movement drill would be very bad, like extra weekend duty bad :)