PDA

View Full Version : Baitcaster Reels

Joe549
04-14-2015, 10:46 PM
After several years of being out of the fishing scene I am now going to get back into it this summer. As a result of having sold all my gear, I now have to start all over again. I already picked up a new Quantum spinning reel and rod combo, new Plano Guide Series tackle box, some new lures baits and I also found on Kijiji a good deal on a full tackle box of gear that I got for $170.

So far I got a pretty decent start to re-equipping. The one other thing I want to get is another baitcaster. The one I used to have was also a Quantum that I got about 20 years ago or so and it was a pretty good reel once you figured out how to use them. I was looking at the reel and rod combos at Canadian Tire and quite frankly I am at a loss now as to what is good and what should be avoided as there are so many different brands now... I have read some reviews online but have found them to be all over the place, one would say that brand xxx is an excellent reel and another would say the exact same reel is a pos.

For those of you here that use baitcasters, what would you recommend? I am looking to keep the cost in the $100 range, I don't need something that is tournament rated and cost north of $200 as I won't be getting that kind of use out of it. All of my previous reels were Quantum and I had good experience with them. Are they still good? How about Shimano?

FlyingHigh
04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Shimano is pretty much the best on the market these days especially since Abu Garcia stopped making their reels in Sweden. Quantum is still good.

When I sold tackle and gear for a living on the west coast, the made in Sweden Abu Garcia 5000 and 6000 series of reels were our go to with bang for the buck value and the Shimano Calcutta line right behind if a buyer had the coin. Mind you we fished for heavy salmon and steelhead in the 20+ pound category on swift rivers and alot of us fished 200+ days a year. :p Those reels would likely be a little heavy duty for your purposes though since based in your location, I'm guessing perch, pickerel and bass *spit*, are your target species?

With your budget I recommend the Quantum reels. I have one on a back up rod I use for pike and walleye and am pretty happy with it for the $70 ish price tag. I've landed a bunch of 3 - 5 pound pike on it with no issues and I doubt it would struggle much with a 10 pound fish. The drag is decent for the money and the spool is smooth. When i get home from work I'll get you a model number. Hope this helps. :)

firemachine69
04-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Some of us even fish for catfish. ;)

lone-wolf
04-15-2015, 04:58 PM
What's wrong with bass? They be tasty.

Joe549
04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
based in your location, I'm guessing perch, pickerel and bass *spit*, are your target species?

Bass, pike, and walleye are what I like fishing for for the most part. All fish are *spit* to me. I can't stand the taste of them whatsoever, even the smell of them cooking makes my nose curl. Salmon is the worst, the smell of that actually puts me on the verge of throwing up.... I just like catching them, and when I do, they go back in the water. I even crush down all the barbs on my hooks or replace them all together so that it's easier to remove them and causes less injury and stress to the fish.

FlyingHigh
04-15-2015, 07:28 PM
My mother told me if you have nothing good to say, don't say a thing. So I won't say a thing about bass.

Not a thing, other than in BC they're an alien invasive species that have been illegally stocked and thus have wiped out many high quality sport fisheries. And they've...ok. I'm stopping before I really start ranting. I'd rather have a Liberal government than bass in my waters, that's all. :)

Bass, pike, and walleye are what I like fishing for for the most part. All fish are *spit* to me. I can't stand the taste of them whatsoever, even the smell of them cooking makes my nose curl. Salmon is the worst, the smell of that actually puts me on the verge of throwing up.... So obviously I catch and release only.

LOL. I'm very much the same. Catch and release 99% of the time. :) Oh crap, I forgot to get that model number for you. I'll do that then come back and edit this post.

EDIT: Quantum Vantex VA100S

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/43466/quantum-vantex-baitcast-reel