PDA

View Full Version : Do any clubs still shoot pin matches?

bccanadian
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Back in the eighties, I belonged to the Peel hangun club. It was just north of Brampton Ont. Each year we had a day of pin matches that was open to all of the local clubs.

It consisted of a very heavy steel table, 5' X 8' and 5' high. 5 bowling pins were placed on the table. The goal was to shoot the pins off the table as quickly as possible. The pin had to be knocked off the table. Knocking it over doesn't count. If you knocked it over you would have to shoot until it (all pins) was off the table. If you shattered the pin into smaller pieces, you were basically hosed. Incomplete (shattered pins) runs didn't count.

There were different classes, novice, class a, b, c, if I remember correctly. As well as different catagories of handguns, Revolver, factory semi-auto, modified semi-auto and I don't remember if there others.

What I liked about the competitions held at the club was, unlike the USA where there is a half dozen or so taking all of the prize money leaving new shooters out in the cold, our club had one or two sizable trophies that might be a rifle or shotgun but then there would be 20 or more smaller prizes descending in size/price in each classification. The fellow that came in last might still walk away with a box of .22 ammo or a T-shirt.

Everyone had fun. It was a family day.

I went for the pin matches but I don't know what was being held on the trap field or on the rifle range.

I approached a couple of exec's of the mission and district rod and gun club about the possibility of holding something like that but the idea was shot down out of hand.

Skeetgunner
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
We used to run Pin matches at Range Burlington frequently in the 70's and 80's. I was under the impression that they were shut down by the CFO (weak target loads causing bounce-back and flying splinters) some time in the late '90's, but this may just be urban legend.

lone-wolf
06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I don't know any competitions at my club. Shame.

jwirecom109
06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Honestly I have never heard of such a match, From what I know of the clubs in my area they do not run this type of match.

bccanadian
06-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Too bad, it was loads of fun.

L Frame
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Our Club here in Timmins does a modified pin shoot each year. Instead of bowling pins, we now use 4x4s cut to about 12 inches. Divisions for both .22 and centerfire handguns. Winners are usually in the 3.2 to 3.5 seconds range.

Harley

pubb
07-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I know that I would like to see clubs doing that. I would enjoy more active shooting. Not cowboy action stuff, but more arcade-style: moving targets or reactive targets. Bowling pins would be fantastic.

I would love if Silverdale had silhouette but I doubt they would ever do that. Hell, if they would let me use them at the correct distances, I would totally get spinner type silhouette targets of my own. I doubt it would happen because they don't have bunkers at the intermediate distances.

P

stevesummit
07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
I was just offered 24 bowling pins from a friend to use with our three gun club and was gonna set them as a stage for our next match . I think people will like this sorta shooting with fully reactive targets

jrcbecher
07-22-2012, 12:58 PM
It was very popular for a time but have not heard of any shoots for several years in SW Ontario to bad it was a fun shoot