PDA

View Full Version : I need a new Hibachi

Skeetgunner
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
My grandfather's '60's era heavy cast iron Hibachi has finally given up the ghost. I'd like to replace it, but most of the stuff available at Canadian Tire/WallMart/HomeDepot is thin-walled aluminum crap. The local BBQ stores hall have deck models that seem OK, but are way to big an heavy for portable use.

Who makes a good portable Hibachi?

jwirecom109
06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
finding good cast iron anything seems to be a challenge now adays.

arancio
06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
My grandfather's '60's era heavy cast iron Hibachi has finally given up the ghost. I'd like to replace it, but most of the stuff available at Canadian Tire/WallMart/HomeDepot is thin-walled aluminum crap. The local BBQ stores hall have deck models that seem OK, but are way to big an heavy for portable use.

Who makes a good portable Hibachi?

Lodge Logic - Bass Pro $100 + or -

Skeetgunner
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Lodge Logic - Bass Pro $100 + or -

That might just do. Have you used this grill?

The "Weber Smokey Joe" is bigger and cheaper, but doesn't look as robust.

arancio
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
That might just do. Have you used this grill?

The "Weber Smokey Joe" is bigger and cheaper, but doesn't look as robust.

No I have not. When I was looking for cast iron pots I saw this and read some very good reviews. Were I to buy one I would look at this one first.

Camo tung
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Does it need to be a charcoal bbq? They make some decent portable table-top bbq's that use a 1lb bottle of gas and there are conversions to use a 20 lb tank. We use 'em for quading etc, no charcoal to pack along = quicker cool down for packing, less mess. Check out Walmart, they run about $28 when not on sale.

RobSmith
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Probably easier to make your own.

Skeetgunner
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Does it need to be a charcoal bbq?

Yes it does. I have propane and naptha-fired stoves, I want charcoal for the specific flavour.