PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FCP-SR... Any thoughts?

Canada_Phil
04-24-2015, 04:10 PM
This particular rifle has caught my eye for various reasons. At $849-ish, it seems to be a much better value than Savage's 110 or 111 line.

I have actually never owned anything from Savage yet. Anyone have this or very similar 10 models? What do you think of it?

Thanks.

Lee Enfield
04-24-2015, 04:35 PM
We have a couple of Savage rifles and both are excellent shooters so I wouldn't be afraid to buy the FCP. One of ours is a .223 and the other a .308. The .308 is amazingly accurate and IMO the .223 is very accurate. Develop a load specifically for your gun, not too hot and enjoy years of great shooting.

Drache
04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
I owned one of the first if not the first FCP-SR in .308 in Canada. Here are a few things I learned about it (some were fixed in later versions)

1) The camo finish never lasted and rubbed off really easily. This was fixed in the second version by removing the camo and making the gun completely black.

2) The butt pad was SUPER soft. To the point where it kept tearing. No idea if this was fixed.

3) I really liked the 10 round metal magazine. My understanding is the new mags are polymer to reduce weight.

4) Mine rifle was returned for warranty due to a flaw in the barrel.

5) The cap for the threads on the barrel kept flying off. It never stayed tight without help from some locktight.

That all said, I'm a Savage fan boy and love my Savage rifles and would not hesitate to get another Model 10.

Canada_Phil
04-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

Funny... Your points on the 10 round mags and the threaded barrel! Those were two things for me in the plus column. Hah! Maybe the current variation differs from yours?

I really like the huge "tactical" bolt handle. Provides for glassy smooth, easy leverage imo.

The one I am looking at is..
plain black
24" Threaded Barrel

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/e74edcd80a1fee1b2a9e44c8e5b08d53_c4270b08311b76252 cfe71b9467ee8cc.png

I think its a very simple, yet still great looking gun. Anyway, its pretty high up on the wish list right now.

Drache
04-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

Funny... Your points on the 10 round mags and the threaded barrel! Those were two things for me in the plus column. Hah! Maybe the current variation differs from yours?

I really like the huge "tactical" bolt handle. Provides for glassy smooth, easy leverage imo.

The one I am looking at is..
plain black
24" Threaded Barrel

I think its a very simple, yet still great looking gun. Anyway, its pretty high up on the wish list right now.

I loved the 10 round magazine. I just wish they had kept it metal instead of what appears to be mostly polymer. And I did like the threaded barrel as well. That damn little screw on cover though kept flying off while shooting it :D

Lee Enfield
04-24-2015, 06:08 PM
The .308 we have is a FCP K with a very soft recoil pad and personally love it as the recoil is about the same as the .223 and nice to shoot. It is in a McMillan stock and accurate beyond belief. The other day we were in the mountains and hung a 8 inch diameter 3/8 inch thick AR plate at 300 yards. A few shots and one of the ropes broke so it hung from one and turned sideways. Now I KNOW LUCK IS INVOLVED HERE bug I hit it twice on the 3/8 inch edge and when it was hanging at a slight angle hit the face 3 other times. It has a MPOD from Jerry Teo, not cheap but worth every penny it cost.

That gun is so accurate you could shoot the eye of a snake at that distance. I was in Selins and 762shooter on here was working that day, showed it to me and "sold". Paid what Del asked and it literally was a steal, oh it was used.

The other FCP in .223 sits in a Plaster stock and very accurate, I just enjoy shooting the .308 more.

Have developed great loads for both, Sierra Match Kings for the .308 and Hornady or Prvi for the .223.

Drache
04-24-2015, 06:12 PM
The .308 we have is a FCP K with a very soft recoil pad and personally love it

Soft is one thing but the pad on the SR when it first came out felt like it was made of gel. If you caught it on anything it would just tear and rip chunks out of it.

Lee Enfield
04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Soft is one thing but the pad on the SR when it first came out felt like it was made of gel. If you caught it on anything it would just tear and rip chunks out of it.

That would not be good.

Drache
04-24-2015, 06:41 PM
That would not be good.

Don't get me wrong, it was a dream shooting with it on. But it was just too fragile to do anything with.

Lee Enfield
04-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, it was a dream shooting with it on. But it was just too fragile to do anything with.

I understand, I find Savage to be good guns overall.

Buster
04-25-2015, 09:52 AM
I have an fcp-k in .300win mag. I have woned up some handloads and it shoots very well. My butt pad is also very soft but it has not torn and I am not nice to this rifle at all. Abusive if anything.

Moparman1303
02-24-2016, 07:31 PM
I am guessing this is the older model. I am looking at this rifle to replace the 10TR leo. I like the fluted barrel,etc.

http://www.kellysonline.ca/products/savage-10-fcp-308-digital-desert-tan