PDA

View Full Version : Ricol 14 inch short shotgun review

Foxer
04-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, Here's a review and range report of the Ricol 14 inch 12 gauge from Corwin Arms. They were great to deal with. They have a few other models up now and it seems to change regularly. Also included is some nice fruit-violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjDyIfcEH8

kennymo
04-27-2015, 01:27 PM
Such cool little guns. I'll have to give this a watch after work.

CaperJim
04-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Poor little honey dew.. i feel the worst for him.

I was on the fence about one of these. Still am and your video isn't helping. I figured they would come with a few imperfections and machining bits that need to be tidied up. They just have that iconic look - I couldn't tell if that was Clint Eastwood at the start or not :pcow. I read Martin is offering a "scratch and dent" sale on a few of these, if I get a chance to see them I might have to jump on it. Nice to see it in someone's hands for a relative size comparison, looks like it'd be pretty handy trekking through the woods. That ejection is something, I'd have some fun throwing hulls at people!

Do you get a set of chokes for each barrel, or one set to 'share'?

Foxer
04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Poor little honey dew.. i feel the worst for him.

He had it comin'. He knows what he did.

Do you get a set of chokes for each barrel, or one set to 'share'?
It came with two cylinder, one improved, one full. Mobil chokes are pretty cheap tho, about 20 bucks each for the 'basic' ones even from carson.

Foxer
04-27-2015, 06:27 PM
One thing that i didn't mention that irked me - there's no barrel stamp showing the shell size. I know it's three inch, and you can figure that out if you know what you're doing, but you put all those other graphics on the gun, how hard is it to stamp '3 inch' on the barrel?

kennymo
04-27-2015, 06:35 PM
One thing that i didn't mention that irked me - there's no barrel stamp showing the shell size. I know it's three inch, and you can figure that out if you know what you're doing, but you put all those other graphics on the gun, how hard is it to stamp '3 inch' on the barrel?

There's not a '75' on there somewhere perchance? I've seen a gun or two marked in those annoying metrics somewhere before....

Gaidheal
04-27-2015, 07:12 PM
So a couple of UTS 15.75" barrel extenders and you'll have a skeet gun that doubles as a "get outta my house" gun

Sweet

Foxer
04-27-2015, 07:24 PM
There's not a '75' on there somewhere perchance? I've seen a gun or two marked in those annoying metrics somewhere before....

Nope. Just seems odd.

CaperJim
04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
That does seem out of place. Cost saving measures, or maybe they just plumb forgot? I don't think it'd be too hard to add some proof marks, but it definately should've came stamped

Slowbalt
04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
So a couple of UTS 15.75" barrel extenders and you'll have a skeet gun that doubles as a "get outta my house" gun

Sweet

Hmm... Anyone able to try this?

Foxer
04-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Hmm... Anyone able to try this?

well i'd be happy to try it on mine if someone had one of those uts extenders :)

webster
04-29-2015, 12:04 AM
That to-buy list just keeps getting longer... :p

I really liked the video review, hoping to see more in the future.

slim
05-16-2015, 03:52 PM
I love mine.....when I saw these on the corwin site, I took a gamble....was a bit leary about the high price for a Turkish shotgun.

After I got it home, my first impression was....niiice :), its short but feels just the right weight in hand......and when you shoulder it ...it balances perfectly. Every time you raise it......eyes are always perfectly in-line with sights. haven't shot paper with it yet...but off the shoulder... shootin into the creek out back, put both slugs into a stick about 40 yards out....

But the fact that it had screw-in chokes.......was a total deal clincher.

the workmanship was nice, gets good solid hits on the primer...had a few minor things like a few burrs, and a bit of trigger grit.....but if you are willing to spend a few nights stripping it, cleaning it....and working the trigger with some jewellers rouge...it will be a very nice gun....
The ejectors are awesome...tosses the shells about 30 feet behind you. Also it only ejects the spent shell, while holding the unspent shell in place....good for those top barrel grouse/ bottom barrel grizzly situations...

I love mine...for me its the best packing/bird/camp gun I have, get some converters...and yer golden :)

corwin was great to deal with and I would definitely buy from them again

The only thing I could say against it....it would look waaay nicer without the cheezy decorations on it...

Foxer
05-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I love mine.....when I saw these on the corwin site, I took a gamble....was a bit leary about the high price for a Turkish shotgun.

After I got it home, my first impression was....niiice :), its short but feels just the right weight in hand......and when you shoulder it ...it balances perfectly. Every time you raise it......eyes are always perfectly in-line with sights. haven't shot paper with it yet...but off the shoulder... shootin into the creek out back, put both slugs into a stick about 40 yards out....

But the fact that it had screw-in chokes.......was a total deal clincher.

the workmanship was nice, gets good solid hits on the primer...had a few minor things like a few burrs, and a bit of trigger grit.....but if you are willing to spend a few nights stripping it, cleaning it....and working the trigger with some jewellers rouge...it will be a very nice gun....
The ejectors are awesome...tosses the shells about 30 feet behind you. Also it only ejects the spent shell, while holding the unspent shell in place....good for those top barrel grouse/ bottom barrel grizzly situations...

I love mine...for me its the best packing/bird/camp gun I have, get some converters...and yer golden :)

corwin was great to deal with and I would definitely buy from them again

The only thing I could say against it....it would look waaay nicer without the cheezy decorations on it...
yep that about sums it up :) it was the 'comes to the eye' thing I really was happy about - not all short shotguns do that very well.

slim
05-16-2015, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=Foxer;252825]yep that about sums it up :) it was the 'comes to the eye' thing I really was happy about

yes, I agree.....I was very happy and surprised at what a great handling shotgun it was....

slim
05-16-2015, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=Foxer;247475]One thing that i didn't mention that irked me

I agree, it is kind of a $hitty oversight not to stamp the barrel........best not to "assume" its 3" or 3 1/2", which would eliminate that with a simple stamp