PDA

View Full Version : This month's editorial by Daniel Fritter

GunsNotPuns
04-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Rather an interesting editorial by Mr. Fritter in Vol 3, Iss 2 concerning the uproar over the focus of the previous issue. Granted, the sample size was 20 or so letters but "nice" to see that there are people in the firearms community who believe our evil "assault rifles" shouldn't be in the hands of civilians.

I've never heard a black rifle owner cry for the elimination of hunting rifles but I always hear the "traditional" shooters disparage the black rifle crowd, even to the point of wanting those rifles banned from civilian use.

Our worst enemy isn't the government -- we know what to expect from them -- it's our fellow firearms owners who would throw us under the bus if they could.

I'm going to dump a few mags next time I'm at the range.

lone-wolf
04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
There are people who own a rifle or two, and pay someone to clean it after they took it out hunting for the one trip a year.
They are the ultimate "it's just another tool" people, and they simply don't view ARs or anything not operated with a bolt or lever as just another rifle.

And that's OK. If they'd mind their own business and not force their views on the rest of us.

Foxer
04-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I've never heard a black rifle owner cry for the elimination of hunting rifles

I've heard them cry for the elimination of hunting. I've also seen them stand idly by while hunting rights are trampled and then scream and complain if hunters don't jump to the defense of their sports. I've also seem them try to ban hunters who use the range to sight in their guns once a season because they're not 'real' gun owners.

Be very careful about casting the first stone. Those kinds of comments very quickly divide our communities. There are a lot of hunters who fight hard for restricted gun owners with no benefit to themselves, and trying to make 'hunters' the enemy which is PRECISELY WHAT YOU ARE DOING is not to your advantage.

As you say - our own worst enemy.

Swampdonkey
04-29-2015, 08:08 PM
What about the tactical community is so offensive?

Strewth
04-29-2015, 09:44 PM
What about the tactical community is so offensive?

Too much fun and merriment? Guns are serious business, and ammo is to be lovingly loaded, and shot carefully at no more than 1 round every five seconds. Seriously, I don't know. There's a couple of amazing bench rest shooters at my range that are wickedly quick and accurate with an AR as well. Does it harken back to the days of yore(not all that long ago) when ammo was dear, and firearms were regarded with...more respect isn't right....regarded with more....reverance? Something that was used for getting food on the table, and protection, not as a pastime?

I just read the article too, I thought the point made by the author regarding lever actions and Mauser-patterned bolt guns as former cutting edge fighting technology was a good one.

Swampdonkey
04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
That's only asked because I've little direct experience with range events, I only go to sight-in, practice, or experiment with loads.

There are hobbies that tend to have a wider culture to go with them, a profile that many participants would fit. How would that look for tacticool operators?

Is it akin to skateboards, rice rockets, fly-fishing, golf, and these?

Satain
04-29-2015, 10:11 PM
I had a old guy at the range (Who just happened to be an RCMP officer) follow me home from the range because of my evil 858 had a drum magazine that could only hold 5 rounds and also cause I was shooting my desert eagle. So I know what the op means.
Even know that I approached him to inform him at the time that SASS is coming to Canada and that he had a nice collection of lever and of other single action firearms. He was all friendly and smiles tell I pulled out my firearms. Then he instantly turned and gave me a hard time. Even tried to get the RO's to get me to stop shooting. When he tried that I stopped my shooting walked over and asked him if there was anything wrong with his carbine because back in the day the 30/30 lever was the original assault rifle and that it had almost the same ballistics as my 858. The Chief RO told me to go back shooting and then whispered to me who he was. I then went back shooting and to my disbelief this guy was waiting for me in the parking lot. Then I gave him a weird look cause it was over 2 hours later. Then he proceeded to follow me all the way home. I then asked him if he wanted to come inside and help me clean or if he just enjoyed stalking people home from the range. He rolled up the window and speed off.
So with this background I totally agree with the OP
United We Stand
&
Divided We Fall

Doug_M
04-30-2015, 04:57 AM
It is always disgusting to see any kind of division in the firearms community. Of course that division often arises out of some segment not seeing another segment as part of that community. Regardless, I think it will be moot in the end in much the same way Wendy and the CGC are becoming less and less relevant. More and more people are taking up the shooting sports, more are buying "assault weapons" and more and more the public is waking up to the fact that the sky isn't falling and the streets aren't running red with blood. As all of this happens the "your gun is bad buy mine is okay" crowd will also become less relevant.

My wife would likely be an anti if her father hadn't been a hunter. She refuses to be a hypocrite but still has anti "feelings". I'm slowly indoctrinating her with facts and they are sinking in. A buddy lent me his 30.06 bolt gun to try as he knows I've never shot that calibre. I primarily shoot .223 for groups out of an evil baby-killing AR. I took both to the range last week and after 8 rounds of his 30.06 I was back to my .223! Point being the bolt gun is the high-powered rifle and the evil baby-killing AR is the target rifle. We know that and some of the general public is learning that (mostly through direct contact with us). After that range trip I told my wife about it (quitting after 8 rounds and why) and I showed here a .223 and 30.06 round to see the difference, mentioning (and laughing) that the AR is called high-powered in the media. She laughed too at that. Like I said, indoctrinating.

Bit of a ramble, but I guess my point is we're slowing starting to win and guys like the letter writers in the OP are becoming less important.

Ohno
04-30-2015, 04:28 PM
I think a big part of our problem as a community (firearms community that is) is the classification system. We need to get rid of that. No one gun is any more dangerous than any other. They all fire metallic projectiles at high velocity and can be dangerous. I know it won't remove the divisions within our community, but we are all firearms owners.

lone-wolf
04-30-2015, 04:39 PM
After that range trip I told my wife about it (quitting after 8 rounds and why) and I showed here a .223 and 30.06 round to see the difference, mentioning (and laughing) that the AR is called high-powered in the media.
I like pointing this out when I can shoot my .308 in the woods, but I had to drive 2hrs to the nearest range to shoot my evil 9mm handgun.

GunsNotPuns
04-30-2015, 05:19 PM
I've heard them cry for the elimination of hunting. I've also seen them stand idly by while hunting rights are trampled and then scream and complain if hunters don't jump to the defense of their sports. I've also seem them try to ban hunters who use the range to sight in their guns once a season because they're not 'real' gun owners.

Be very careful about casting the first stone. Those kinds of comments very quickly divide our communities. There are a lot of hunters who fight hard for restricted gun owners with no benefit to themselves, and trying to make 'hunters' the enemy which is PRECISELY WHAT YOU ARE DOING is not to your advantage.

As you say - our own worst enemy.

You must be city because around here black rifle owners also tend to be hunters.

I maintain that I cannot trust "fudds" -- for the lack of a less derisive but accurate word -- based on the words and actions of many of them. I may be a new member to GoC but I've been around the firearms community a long time and the only time they ever got angry was the long gun registry.

Foxer
04-30-2015, 06:47 PM
You must be city because around here black rifle owners also tend to be hunters.

Ahh - so you're different around where you are, and city folk are not like you and can't understand you. Sure - NOBODY who lives in the city owns black rifles AND hunts. That makes perfect sense.

I maintain that I cannot trust "fudds"

I see.

You people don't get it. IT's not hunters who're the problem. MOST of the posts here are black rifle guys splitting the communities in two with comments as intelligent as that one. And the funny thing is i've seen 'tactical' people call for hunting bans and such, and call for ranges to be closed to hunters who come once or twice a year to sight in, etc. That completely gets forgotten by the so called 'tactical' people. Noo - it's all about how 'fudds' are evil and hunters are the problem and we can't trust them.

Intelligent people might discuss how to bring the small percent of gun owners who are not on board with firrearms rights into the fold.

wise people may spend their time looking at why they might feel that way and how to bring the communities closer.

Decent people might acknowledge that people on both sides of the fence have issues and have an intelligent discussion that didn't attempt to split the communities further.

Then there's you guys.

Bravo. You want to see the problem? find a mirror.

But please - i'm sure you're just itching to come back and say something disparaging about hunters and pretend they're the ones splitting the communities. Don't let me stop you.

GunsNotPuns
05-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Whatever. I'm a hunter and a black rifle guy. I've feet in both communities. You can pontificate all day but I hear what I hear from each of them.

When it comes to activism vs. deliberate and obstinate complacency I know who I can rely on and who will tell me if I want those black guns I can join the army.

Joke was on them... when I served the standard rifle fired what was essentially a hunting round.