PDA

View Full Version : Torquing Savage Accustock - I wouldn't have believed it!

762shooter
05-09-2015, 11:12 PM
I bought a Savage 10 TR last year. I haven't shot it too much but I wasn't very happy with it. My groups were about 1.125" to 1.5" at 100 meters with good bullets and handloads, not very good for this type of rifle.

I did some research on the internet (so it must be true) that told me correct torquing of the action screws was critical for accuracy. Savage recommends 40 in/lbs for both screws but other people were saying its not that simple, you may have to try some different torque values until it shoots well. I read one article by a fellow who claimed to own four Accustocked rifles, he said most shoot best with 35 in/lbs on the front screw and 30 on the rear screw. He said three out of his four shot best with 35/30 in/lbs but he had to experiment with other torque values to get the other one shooting well.

So a couple of days ago I took the action out of the stock, wiped any all oil out of it, set the Accutrigger as low as it would go (3 lbs) while I was at it and got to work re-torquing the stock. You are suppose to do this with the rifle vertical so that the recoil lug is resting on the back side of the recoil slot in the aluminum bedding block, so I started the screws in to the threads then stood it upright. I tightened the screws until they were just starting to tighten then switched to a torque screwdriver and tightened front to 10 ft/lbs, then the rear to 10, then the front to 20, rear to 20, front to 30, rear to 30 then 35 on the front.

So, off to the range yesterday. I loaded 3 military 7.62 x 51 FMJ cartridges as foulers, they shot to 1" at 100 meters but in the past they were shooting more like 2" groups, so off to a good start. Next I loaded 3 handloads with 168 gr Hornady BTHP bullets over 44.4 gr of Varget. They gave me a one hole 1/4" group, so I loaded 3 more and got a one hole 5/16" group, so I cranked the scope for 300 meters and shot a 1.375" group, about .4 MOA!

So all of a sudden this is an interesting rifle! I wouldn't have believed that just torquing this stock the way I did would make such an instant and major improvement if I hadn't proved it to myself!

Rory McCanuck
05-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Huh, who knew?
Nice when a gun suddenly turns "interesting."

blacksmithden
05-10-2015, 12:43 AM
To get them tweaked right down, it's all about the gun's ring...just like a bell. They all ring a little different. Getting the ring to match the ammo and the bullet and the timing makes all the difference in the world. We do load developments to try get our guns to ring just right. Once you've found it....and it really sounds like you have 762.....don't mess with it. Glad to hear you turned her into a real shooter. Congrats. :)

Foxer
05-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Wow - I've always known that getting the stock tight was important, but had no idea that such precision in tightening was THAT much of a game changer !

Sounds like a bit of a sweet shooter now :)

lone-wolf
05-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Shouldn't of changed the trigger pull weight.
Cause my mind says it might be the torq, or maybe it's the lighter trigger pull.

Nice shooting though! "inaccurate rifles aren't interesting"

762shooter
05-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Wow - I've always known that getting the stock tight was important, but had no idea that such precision in tightening was THAT much of a game changer !

Even more critical for an Accustock than a normal stock. When you torque the action into a Accustock you are slightly spreading the sidewalls of the aluminum insert so that the tension holds the stock firmly in place.

762shooter
05-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Cause my mind says it might be the torq, or maybe it's the lighter trigger pull.

Nice shooting though! "inaccurate rifles aren't interesting"

It was almost as light as it would go, maybe lightened it 1/4 lb. That wasn't what changed the groups.

cobrajr122
05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Very cool info, I'll have to try this with my 10TR.

Strewth
05-11-2015, 06:00 PM
I believe in this; common wisdom says that once a rifle is bedded you don't need to worry about torque specs past getting the action tight, but when I played with the torque on my bedded 10-22 I could watch the group grow and shrink and wander all over the paper...kinda cool! Personally I agree with BSD, that it's got something to do with sweet spots and barrel harmonics and such.
Great to hear it's helping you out, 762shooter!
The only problem is standing in front of the gun safe, torque wrench in hand with a glint in your eye....

762shooter
05-12-2015, 08:51 AM

What I've described is specific to the Savage Accustock, I don't believe it directly transfers to a wood or fiberglass stocked rifle.

awndray
05-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Interesting. I need to give this a try on mine.

GTA Dragon
05-23-2015, 11:27 AM

In my estimation trigger pull really doesn't effect long range shooting as much as we all think, it is nice to have a light trigger but really not all that important, IMO.

Spooksar
05-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Any time you take a action out of a stock you need to put it back in at the same tension. I've seen guys take their rifle apart to clean it at the end of a season and just tighten by hand. The next year when they check sights it all over the place.

Foxer
05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Any time you take a action out of a stock you need to put it back in at the same tension. I've seen guys take their rifle apart to clean it at the end of a season and just tighten by hand. The next year when they check sights it all over the place.

guilty. :) It really does make a difference.

road kill
05-25-2015, 05:16 AM
A buddy of mine picked up a Weatherby this spring, it came with detailed instructions on torqing the action screws. Without a torque wench you are just guesing though. Oh sorry that's a torque wrench.

Hornychief
06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I got one of those Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench that you can get off amazon and the thing is awesome. Had grouping issues with my 116 300wm which were fixed by applying consistent torque to action screws!

Rockeye
06-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Oh sweet, I have one of those. Never torqued it down, but just by feel. Thanks!

Mobusten
06-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Torqued my 10TR to 35 front, 30 rear and took it out for the first time a few weeks ago and started load development. At 100m my first 4 shots ever out of the rifle were off paper, luckily after the 4th I realized where they were going. I adjusted my dials and the 5th, 6th and 7th shot were all touching each other in the red centre of the target. I was quite pleased :)
Took it out to 200m after that and some of the groups started opening up as the powder charges of different loads started getting higher. But my last group of 5 at the end of the day was 1.3" at 200m. I'd say that was a good first day for the rifle and the first hand loads I've ever made/fired. And I'm not even finished my work-up loads, but I figured 8 hours of fun was enough for the day :) Can't wait to get back out and see if I can get 'em even tighter.

Edit: Halfway through the bolt handle started to really wiggle and I realized that the big hex screw that keeps it on at the back was slowly backing off. So I had to tighten that up out there. Decided some locktite couldn't hurt either when I got back home. I'd hate to be out shooting and find myself stuck without a proper tool to remedy that situation.

762shooter
06-04-2015, 04:07 PM
It sounds like once you settle on a good load you have a very accurate rifle.

What bullet/powder/load are you using?

Mobusten
06-04-2015, 05:50 PM
It sounds like once you settle on a good load you have a very accurate rifle.

What bullet/powder/load are you using?

It was 178gr AMAX with Varget in Lapua cases. I've also got a bunch of 168gr projectiles to play with too.

762shooter
06-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Just for fun, you could try the 168 gr bullets .015" off the lands on top of 44.4 gr of Varget. The just might shoot very well, allthough, like women every rifle is a bit different.

Mobusten
06-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah I'll try that.

Nova316
06-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Definitely need to try this with my 10TR its grouping decently well with 42.5gr of Varget behind a 175smk
But maybe I can tighten it up even more by torquing it down like you described. I'll give it a go and report back when I get a chance to head out soon