PDA

View Full Version : Rossi M92

Icedman
05-20-2015, 03:07 PM
I was looking at getting one of these Rossi M92s in .357, with the 20" barrel model. Anyone here have any experience with them or know where they can be bought? I've looked around online and haven't been able to fine one in stock anywhere.

Foxer
05-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Well i've got the mare's leg which is the same action and i've got the 16 inch carbine in 44 mag. I can tell you that quality has changed back and forth a little bit, but even the rougher ones can be cleaned up quite easy to make them work very well. You can also do steve's mods on them and he's awesome to talk to (http://www.stevesgunz.com/). He sells simple spring replacements and videos and such and parts to make it rock. The sights are kind of bullcrap, but there's a lot of really kick ass sight replacements out there - just remember the rossi v-notch is a little different size than american models. But there are specialty sights just for the rossi's, and that's if you don't want to go old school and do a tang site :)

I love mine - they're fun, they don't hardly kick at all, you get all that extra speed from the longer barrel vs a pistol, and the 357 will eat 38 to save money and it's great for the recoil sensitive. Some people have had problems with rough feed ramps but again that can be cleaned up. My first one came just golden, smooth and fast. My mare's leg was a little more rough - but still did great so I didn't care. My buddy's 357 was more finicky and we had to clean that up before it worked like it should - but that's quite easy to do.

Wanstalls around here is a dealer, there are lots of others - you may have to ask them to bring one in for you.

wolver
05-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Try to find an older used one that don't have those silly little safety levers atop the receiver.

road kill
05-22-2015, 03:52 AM
I've been comparing the various levers in 357 mag myself lately, contemplating selling the D.W. revolver i never use and getting something i can actually take out and shoot around the farm. What Foxer says about the Rossi is what my research has come up with.

canthitathing
05-22-2015, 08:09 PM
I picked up one late last year with an octagonal blued barrel and case hardened receiver. I was a bit dubious about Rossi from what some had to say on forums but am pleased with what I got. I bought some .38spl and .357mag snap caps to check cycling and it worked well with both. The action is quite smooth which was another potential criticism on line.

I haven't shot it that much and my old eyes aren't great for using iron sights, but I'll only flatten the "wings" on the rear buckhorn and maybe put on a larger front bead since I intend to use it for starting in Cowboy Action and there are limitations as to what changes you can do. I'll even consider picking up a .44mag in stainless. Go to the rossi-rifleman dot com forum, plenty of good info there.