PDA

View Full Version : Questions about gong targets

Anthony
06-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I wasn't sure we're to post this so I put it here under general firearns discussion. I'm in the process of making gong targets that hang off of a wooden post I'm going to hang these targets under my "post" as I call it ( it looks like a soccer net exempt with out the net and smaller in height" Im in grade ten but the way my school works you can get your C level ticket in grade 12 you must take 2 coarses though. I however have allready taken 3 aswell as extra credit coarse my teacher made up were just one student is the parts room manager ( though it doesn't matter I'll put the responsibility anyway - hand out gloves mask ect. Organize everything catolog every thing order in everything which doesn't sound like a lot but when there is 1000s of kids it is ) anyway the point of me telling you all this is so you realize I'm experienced and am wanting detailed info on how to make a gong target ( most of you wouldn't take me serious cause im 16 )
Question I how should igo about making one I need to know what a good gauge of metal is and what I should make it out of should I make the gong and the Handle separately and stick weild it or one peice and use plasma cutters. This needs to be able to take what the average Canadian can shoot at it ! Thanks any help will be seriously appretiated

jonanddad
06-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Well from everything I have heard you should be looking at what you would be shooting, like 9mm vs 300 win mag. But the general one is AR 550 in about 3/8th"

RobSmith
06-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Yep, what you intend to shoot at it with is key to your design.

stevesummit
06-07-2012, 09:19 AM
3/8 is fine for small rifle or pistol but once you step up to a heavier caliber you need atleast 1/2 in a 500 series. The thinner plate will stand up for a while but will start to curl . I just did a test on my 5/8 ar500 plate and there was just the smallest ripple in the surface of the plate at 300 m with. 338 LM AI at 2850 with 300 gr scenars. We also had a 1/2 a106 plate beside and pass through happened 7out of 8 times.

Canuck
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Sounds like you are quite competent with welding and such. Just thought I might make a suggestion for your target stand. An acquaintance of mine made this for me. It is very portable and quick to set up. The key is the two, 3 pronged pieces that put it all together. Nothing to screw together or clamp, etc. They are solid pieces that hold the legs and the cross pieces. They would be easy to make in your school shop. The pipe for the legs and cross pieces can be bought at a scrapyard or plumbing contractor supplier.
ARC 500 for your target itself is they way to go. I have tried .300 mag rounds on it at 100 m and it doesn't even make a dimple. Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5749/standcyq.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6225/stand2h.jpg

BTW, the target in this pic is not ARC 500. Much softer steel as you can see by the hits.

Anthony
06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Canuck I sort of took that idea I'll post a video of it on my YouTube channel AnthonyGOC

frontrunner
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Tried checking your channel out, couldn't find it though? strange..