PDA

View Full Version : Airgunning rats

lone-wolf
05-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Last couple nights I've been stalking rats in the little chicken barn, wandering around at night with an old slavia 630 and a head lamp has been fun albeit not all that productive(I did get a couple). Got traps & poison out too.

Things I've learned,
Shots are usually 5ft away, 10ft max.
Rats don't like lights aimed at em
Rats can more faster than my eyes can focus on the iron sights at these short & dark ranges
Rats are dumb enough to poke their heads out of their hiding holes after a couple minutes, or fully emerge after a few min.
500fps pellet gun can kill with a head shot,
Break barrel, follow up shots are slow.
Not directly learned from the rat hunts, but whatever velocity range the slavia is in(guessing 500fps at least), pellets will not expand.
Junebugs like head lamps.

Haywire1
05-30-2015, 10:31 PM
While not related to airgunning, a laser boresighter, or laser sight will drive holstien crows away extremely fast. Also entertaining because it turns out drunks are much like cats, and will chase the dot directly into a wall 60% of the time

kennymo
05-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Maybe throw some sort of red light source into the room? Illuminate the whole place, no moving spotlight, maybe it'll light up their eyes to give you something to aim at. I can't recall if rats are among the animals that don't get freaked by red light....supposedly works on yotes, but we aren't allowed to try that sort of thing here.....

lone-wolf
05-30-2015, 11:04 PM
I got a head lamp somewhere with a red light option I plan on trying.
Crows disappear as soon as I step outside. I shot one in the yard, maybe 3 or more years ago. Smart country crows.

livewire0129
05-30-2015, 11:36 PM
There's a whole community of rat shooters on YouTube. The preferred beginning setup is to mount a cheap camcorder with nightvision to the eyepiece of your scope. Check out snypercat, ted's holdover, and vermin-hunters for their setups and for more info (and awesome vids!)

blacksmithden
05-31-2015, 12:15 AM
Get yourself a Ruger Air Hawk. 1000-1200 fps depending on what pellets you're using. They've got a noticeable bit more snap than the 495 fps air guns, and they're not that expensive. I've got a few valve springs out of a V-12 Caterpillar engine rebuild. I keep meaning to see what kind of a little disaster creator air gun rig I can make up with one. 2000 fps should be achievable with a big enough chamber and a long enough barrel.

road kill
05-31-2015, 06:46 AM
I have an old Russian pellet rifle i bought back in the 70's that i use for similar excursions, sparrow hunting. I even had a light taped to the forend, no rails back then. Guess i was tactifool before it was the thing to do. ;)

kennymo
05-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Get yourself a Ruger Air Hawk. 1000-1200 fps depending on what pellets you're using. They've got a noticeable bit more snap than the 495 fps air guns, and they're not that expensive. I've got a few valve springs out of a V-12 Caterpillar engine rebuild. I keep meaning to see what kind of a little disaster creator air gun rig I can make up with one. 2000 fps should be achievable with a big enough chamber and a long enough barrel.

Oh quit screwing around and just hook that thing to a full size CO2 tank sans regulator already. We all know that's where it's going to wind up anyway...:). Which reminds me, I've got to get my 120 psi potato gun put together this summer....

lone-wolf
05-31-2015, 09:33 AM
There's a whole community of rat shooters on YouTube. The preferred beginning setup is to mount a cheap camcorder with nightvision to the eyepiece of your scope. Check out snypercat, ted's holdover, and vermin-hunters for their setups and for more info (and awesome vids!)
I seen them, pretty fancy setup for a diy.

I was looking at the ruger air hawk guns, they seem like a good deal and they have iron sights. Don't need a scope for 10ft shots.

mater
05-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Oh quit screwing around and just hook that thing to a full size CO2 tank sans regulator already. We all know that's where it's going to wind up anyway...:). Which reminds me, I've got to get my 120 psi potato gun put together this summer....

CO2 is only around 800-900 psi. You need lots more than that for hyper velocities. The pre-charged pnues airguns use tank pressure around 4000 psi to achieve high velocity.

ESnel
05-31-2015, 03:27 PM
CO2 is only around 800-900 psi. You need lots more than that for hyper velocities. The pre-charged pnues airguns use tank pressure around 4000 psi to achieve high velocity.

My compressor can only do 3500psi but I can get argon supplied at 6000psi :pot:

RobertMcC
05-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Crosman 2240 sure C02 with alloy pellets and a longer barrel you can reach 600-700 FPS. But I find pellets like to flip back and jam when in a hurry. PCP are $$$$ cheapest one is around 360$ yet 200$ for the bike pump.

scopes and ammo got a 900-1200 break barrel AR for 149 and I'm not sure but airgun source has a multi pump rifle 800 fps for 79$.

Waynetheman
05-31-2015, 05:04 PM
The pcp guns look like the business.

RobertMcC
05-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Marauder be the only PCP I would consider if you want something with more then single shot. But 600$ + price tag is high.

Could get a C02 Semi and tune it. I know a 22 cal around 560 FPS will kill a rat.

short1
05-31-2015, 09:40 PM
In another life I tried "Hotrodding" a spring air rifle. Had a custom spring made that I thought would double the FPS. Results were disappointing, But the barrel almost bent cocking it......

lone-wolf
06-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Just spent the morning cleaning the chicken barn, popped the floors up then me and my father finished the afternoon cleaning out the rats.
Dozens of adults, dozens of the pink babies.
I had no clue, I thought there was only a couple left.
Pellets were flying, along with hockey sticks and feet.

kennymo
06-14-2015, 05:05 PM
What's the rule with rats? For every one you see there's fifty more you don't. Little f###ers. Probably the animal I hate most...

lone-wolf
06-14-2015, 05:10 PM
One of these would of be spiffy today, 8rd bolt action slinging a .22cal pellet at 650fps using an 88gram c02 canister

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/images/AM850.jpg

short1
06-14-2015, 05:12 PM
You need a night vision scope and go out there at dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS_jxZTQ5Cg