PDA

View Full Version : New to archery, where and what to buy.

BugBench
06-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Huge thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out. I live in cochrane and looking to bow hunt this fall. Where should I grab a bow? What would you guys recommend, I'd like to keep the full set up under 1000 if possible. Thanks again.

kennymo
06-02-2015, 12:05 PM
I'd recommend the Silver Heights but you're not in Winnipeg....Ron does Internet orders, but your best bet is to find a dedicated archery store with knowledgable staff that'll let you try before you buy. They'll help you work out stuff like draw length, find out what sort of draw weight would be best for you, and probably throw you a bit of a discount if you buy all your arrows, sights, broad heads, etc...through them. I played around with about a dozen bows for a couple hours before I settled on my Darton. Oh. Most of the archery guys at the big box stores don't know as much as they pretend to, just a word of warning.... ;)

Grey_Wolf
06-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Living in Cochrane I would suggest Jim-bows archery in Calgary as one of the top stores. Quite honestly it's been so long since I've been down there I don't know of the others. Do a google search. Rather than going in to buy brand x, go in and try out a few different brands/models and see what feels best to you. I have an APA Nano (homegrown in saskabush) and love it. My son also shoots an APA. There will be countless guys telling you that brand x is the only bow to buy the rest are garbage but that just isn't true. They all have good and bad points just like rifles, well except for savages but Nobody likes them or admits to owning one :) All in for a grand to start is a little tight but doable just don't buy a lot of arrows and don't blow them all up practicing! Bow, arrow rest, sights, release, quiver, arrows and broad heads... maybe a stabilizer. Whatever you get, get out and practice and have fun doing it.

olansky
06-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Get a Quest Drive made by g5, pretty sweet bow, a little on the heavy side but it came to like 990$ at Cabelas. that price came with everything aswell. I bought an expensive arrow rest, arrows and a bow sling though so it can be cheaper but its a great bow.

soopercooper
07-07-2015, 03:29 PM
I just jumped back in after a couple decades out. For the money the ready to hunt DRIVE package from PSE is impressing me more each day

BrotherRockeye
07-07-2015, 10:12 PM
with only 2 months before bow opens yer cuttin er kinda slim...unless yer a lethally quick study ;)

soopercooper
07-08-2015, 05:56 AM
with only 2 months before bow opens yer cuttin er kinda slim...unless yer a lethally quick study ;)

Yep. You're cutting it fine. I've been at it since early spring,aprox mid may

James007
07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I would recommend Calgary Archery Centre. They have a great group of knowledgeable and enthusiastic people to help you find what you need. It is also a great place to practice. They are in the Foothills Industrial Park.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out. I live in cochrane and looking to bow hunt this fall. Where should I grab a bow? What would you guys recommend, I'd like to keep the full set up under 1000 if possible. Thanks again.

ScottNT
07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Iīm new to it as well. I went with a Sage recurve 30# draw and the cheapest arrows I could buy. Still donīt really know what Iīm doing but itīs fun to try. Itīs not really a hunting rig....but I thought a good way to figure out where I want to go with archery.

soopercooper
07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Iīm new to it as well. I went with a Sage recurve 30# draw and the cheapest arrows I could buy. Still donīt really know what Iīm doing but itīs fun to try. Itīs not really a hunting rig....but I thought a good way to figure out where I want to go with archery.

Hang onto that. It's good for keeping archery muscles in shape off season, but. DO NOT compare in anyway to modern compounds. You may end up loving both or like me, You may end up hating recurve and loving compound. Pick up all the compounds You can. I'm personally biased toward PSE simply for how well they give gradual let off right from when You start to draw

bigbusa
07-25-2015, 01:40 PM
I found wholesalesports to have some of the best prices (most of the stuff regularly prices are on par (face value) to what they sell for in the US in US dollars ) . If you troll the site long enough you may find an even crazier deal.

Steveo9mm
07-25-2015, 04:05 PM
I found wholesalesports to have some of the best prices (most of the stuff regularly prices are on par (face value) to what they sell for in the US in US dollars ) . If you troll the site long enough you may find an even crazier deal.

Your kidding right?

bigbusa
07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Interesting last year when i bought my Samick sage, they were 129$ Canadian at wholesale sports, while Bass pro had it for 139 and cabela's had it for 139 also. Now they have it listed at 159.

Also the PSE optima is MSRP at 189, 139 sale. I looked around, and it sells for 189 US dollars.

The carbon express arrows i bought, they had them on sale for 3.99$ each reg price 6.50$ with vanes, and the screw inserts, no tips. I went to a few local stores here and the same arrow was 6.99 with shaft and vane, or 10.99 at a specialty store shaft only (no pun intended).

I haven't compared all their prices, but when looking at the big name franchises, everything I was looking for at the time i was looking, they seemed to have the best prices.

Steveo9mm
07-25-2015, 08:46 PM
My god man, ill take 100 carbon arrows. Youll be lucky to get a set for under $100 at our wholesale

3MTA3
08-03-2015, 05:14 AM
I know Cochrane is out of the way, but if you get down by North Bay, JimBows is a good shop and he is very helpful. http://www.jimbowsarchery.net/ArcheryPlace/Welcome.html

50calshooter
08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
I just shot compound bow for the first time today... It was actually a little intimidating, this bow stuff is pretty serious! That being said, I was able to get the hang of it after just a few arrows downrange. I have to say, its pretty cool! A whole new skill set to learn.

I compared the Hoyt Spyder, the Elite Synergy and Elite Energy 35. I started with the Elite bows and I gotta say the Synergy was a lot smoother and easier to draw, I eventually got the hang of the Energy 35, but I fell in love with the Synergy, it just felt a lot easier for me. I never shot the Hoyt because after comparing the Synergy and the Spyder in the hands, the Elite was just a nicer looking bow all around IMO. The fit and finish was way nicer on the Elite bows, the Spyder just looked cheap. The funny thing is the Spyder was $600 more!!! That was enough for me to not even bother shooting the Hoyt. That, and the fellas were telling me that the Elite is a lot more forgiving, especially for a beginner...

After looking through all the different offerings out there, the Elite Synergy was hands down the right one for me. The design, the fit and finish, the smooth draw, it all just fit the bill for me. I definitely recommend checking them out! On a side note, one thing I really liked about the Elite bows, is for 2015 they are using a heavy duty Cera-Kote type finish, it makes the finish a hell of a lot more durable, and look wise it was flawless...

I ordered the Elite Synergy in Ninja Black, 31 Draw Length at 60lbs. I also ordered the Trijicon AccuPin for a sight as well... Can't wait to start learning this new skill...

BrotherRockeye
08-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Good on ya 50! Bow hunting rocks!
After many years away from it I'm back in the game myself, prompted by getting skunked for draw tags...this year is archery Moose time. Just bought a fresh tube of Fletch Tite and gonna build me some arrows. ;D

kennymo
08-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Good on ya 50! Bow hunting rocks!
After many years away from it I'm back in the game myself, prompted by getting skunked for draw tags...this year is archery Moose time. Just bought a fresh tube of Fletch Tite and gonna build me some arrows. ;D

Next year I'm putting in for archery elk. It's one of the only draws you're almost guaranteed to get every year in the neck of the woods I hail from....

JustBen
08-19-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm going to dig out the bow for a trip or two this year as well.

I know it's out of the way for the OP, but North Pro Sports in Saskatoon set me up quite well. Not the best prices, but fair and the service was 100% outstanding.