PDA

View Full Version : New Ham

Doug_M
06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
(Sorry Strewth, this is not a bacon thread)

Passed the Basic exam yesterday with "honours" and got my call sign today. Say hello to VE1FAL. Don't have an HF rig yet, spent all my spare cash on firearms related goodies earlier this spring. So I guess I'll have to start saving up. Got a decent HT though for the local scene and an HF receiver I've had for a while to keep me occupied for now. Any other hams on hear besides Den?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blacksmithden
06-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Well congratulations !!!! Welcome to the club sir !!!! When you get on HF, we can set up a QSO.

73 de VA6WW :)

Gaidheal
06-02-2015, 08:10 PM
73 de vy2js

Strewth
06-02-2015, 08:12 PM
http://www.squaredcirclereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/I-am-Disappoint.jpg

Congratulations, I guess:(.

No seriously, congrats! THat's something on my ever-growing to-do list, pretty cool to listen to Radio Moscow, talk to Texans, or stay connected through the zombie apocalypse.

blacksmithden
06-02-2015, 08:13 PM
73 de vy2js

What does the y designation represent ? I'm always curious about unusual Canadian calls.

cobrajr122
06-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I have been meaning to go take the exam for a few years now, Have had the book since '12, but the week before I was going to take the exam I ended up on a string of courses for work.
I plan on going straight for Advanced since comms is my trade and I really only want the licence so I can make radios and play around with some ideas I have :P

I have been using SDRs for the last year to listen to all the fun stuff, if you don't have one you should grab one.

Hope you enjoy it, comms are fun!

short1
06-02-2015, 08:26 PM
I think the VY2 prefix means PEI.

blacksmithden
06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
I think the VY2 prefix means PEI.

Crap....never mind...I was thinking of something completely different. Ignore me.....I'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Foxer
06-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on passing the test! And.. For the ... thingie you got with the other things that BSD mentioned! I didn't understand most of it, but it sounds damn exciting :)

Haywire1
06-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the fact part of his callsign is "FAL"???

blacksmithden
06-02-2015, 10:25 PM

Nope....and mine used to be VA3NUT in Ontario, and VA6NUT here in Alberta. I decided to go with a 2 letter call when VA6WW came up.

Haywire1
06-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Nut huh? And you changed it? Got tired of the truth being out there or what?

blacksmithden
06-02-2015, 10:31 PM
I thought Victor Alpha Six double Whisky sounded better. :)

Haywire1
06-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a clip from and old cop movie. Something with Eastwood in san Francisco. I know it isnt from a movie, I mean I could picture Eastwood calling dispatch. ie

"Victor Alpha Six Whiskey Whiskey, the chief said to wait"
"Dispatch, tell him to go f#$ k himself"

Doug_M
06-03-2015, 04:37 AM
I have been meaning to go take the exam for a few years now, Have had the book since '12, but the week before I was going to take the exam I ended up on a string of courses for work.
I plan on going straight for Advanced since comms is my trade and I really only want the licence so I can make radios and play around with some ideas I have :P

I have been using SDRs for the last year to listen to all the fun stuff, if you don't have one you should grab one.

Hope you enjoy it, comms are fun!

Same here. Bought the book a few years ago with the intent to take the exam shortly thereafter and never did. Then last summer my sons hockey coach mentioned his wife and son had just taken it and told me about the local club. Course was only $20 and included club membership. How could I go wrong with that.

I'd like to get my advanced too but I'm in no rush. I've always wanted to get into basic electronics but what was taught on the basic amateur course is all new to me so I've got a bit of a learning curve.

Love to get an SDR. I'll probably start with a Funcube dongle simply because it is cheap (saving for that HF rig).

CaperJim
06-03-2015, 05:17 AM
I was pretty interested last year when I was fooling around with radio scanners. I picked up a fella from Canada talking to someone from New Jersey - they were discussing having their hoses ready for the grass fire season. Was evesdropping on a couple Asian guys too - no idea what they were talking about. Even got in touch with the local club. Around that time they were doing a membership drive. Maybe I should go get resdy for the test

Doug_M
06-03-2015, 05:43 AM
For anyone interested in getting licensed here are some resources:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00040.html

http://wp.rac.ca/category/uncategorized/begin/

The practice exam on Industry Canada's web page is invaluable. Learn the material but also do many practice exams. I'd recommend joining a club if there is one in your area too.

DanN
06-03-2015, 09:06 AM
This is on my to-do list... along with many other things... lol.

OEM
06-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Well congratulations !!!! Welcome to the club sir !!!! When you get on HF, we can set up a QSO.

73 de VA6WW :)

Congrats VE1FAL!

We totally should do a QSO. The guys over on AR15.com have a dedicated group of guys that get together on 40 and 80 meters and sometimes on 20 too.

Would be interesting to try a QSO that way. Frankly, I haven't had much time to play around with radio lately, but every now and then, I fire it up to listen to the crowd. I've been trying to get this "Z" callsign, but dammit it seems like everytime he's on, the whole world is trying to get him too.

VHF and UHF are fun, but HF is where the action is. I'm hoping to pick up a nice radio soon that I will build as part of my SHTF kit someday. I bought two plastic ammo cans that will serve as the basis of this.

Only thing stopping me now is...time.

Doug_M
06-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks OEM. Yup, I agree and I will get on HF. But it will probably be in early 2016 by the time I've saved enough to buy what I want. I think GOC QSO would be pretty cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROADGLIDE45
06-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Congrats.... VA6 MRV

Gaidheal
06-15-2015, 04:33 PM
GOCNET lol

Marner
10-21-2015, 07:11 PM
--........--.....-.............-........--..-.-....-....-

Doug_M
10-22-2015, 04:44 AM
--........--.....-.............-........--..-.-....-....-

You know, I'm actually thinking of getting a key and a trainer device to learn CW. Though I've barely been on HF for a month so I'm in no rush!

Relic49
10-22-2015, 06:15 AM

Nope thats the first thing I noticed,cool eh!

Marner
10-22-2015, 07:53 AM
You know, I'm actually thinking of getting a key and a trainer device to learn CW. Though I've barely been on HF for a month so I'm in no rush!

When I got my lic in the 70s CW was mandatory - a 3-part exam; cw, regs & technical. And no phone on HF (except 10m) until the second "advanced" exam was passed. CW can be fun, hope you decide to give it a shot.

Doug_M
10-22-2015, 10:15 AM
When I got my lic in the 70s CW was mandatory - a 3-part exam; cw, regs & technical. And no phone on HF (except 10m) until the second "advanced" exam was passed. CW can be fun, hope you decide to give it a shot.

I will, it is really just a question of when. When I did the basic exam my goal was an "honours" score to obtain HF privileges. Next up will be the advanced so I can run an amplifier. I'm also interested in learning how to repair electronics of the 80s era (vintage computer collector) so advanced expanding upon the electronics theory in basic will be a bonus.

FlyingHigh
10-23-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't have a Ham licence though it's on my list to do. I stumbled across this site though and downloaded the program. Now that I'm done trade school, I can focus on learning useful stuff, like Morse Code.

http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/