PDA

View Full Version : Looking for marketing help

DOA
06-04-2015, 12:40 PM
I run a financial education agency focusing on service to the middle income. The structure of my company is unique with a fantastic compensation program. I'm looking for honest, ambitious, hard working people with a desire to help others to train in an apprentice like system for one of two paths. An agent would start out part time and learn the industry with a hands on approach. Agents will set their own hours without quotas and earn what they are worth in a highly paid industry helping people get ahead and have piece of mind. Those interested would also be trained in building their own agency developing leadership and business skills helping others learn the same system. This business is simple, duplicatible and profitable in any Canadian location.

Any good business is built through relationships but people also like perks. Instead of just handing out pens with my logo and maybe a phone number etc, I thought I could reach more people with a phrase that piques interest enough to contact me. Please help me out by answering the pole or suggesting your own phrase that would pique enough interest to either call a number or open a website. Thanks for your time!

awndray
06-04-2015, 01:01 PM
I voted:

Rise Up, Your Dreams Are Waiting
Earn What You're Worth
Your Business, Your Lifestyle

I voted for those because I know your business model (because of the meeting I had with your colleague here in Ottawa). Having said that, I'm not sure than handing out pens is the best option. I know people in marketing, and I remember them saying that the typical swag you pick up at trade shows and such are a complete waste of money. I've heard some say t-shirts make a bigger impact, but that obviously comes with a higher price tag and it might not hit the demographic you're targeting. Pens, mouse pads, wrist bands, stress balls, etc. have all been overused. I'm not sure what the answer is to the swag, but those are my three votes above.

coastal
06-04-2015, 05:24 PM
I love your business, your lifestyle. I own my own business and that speaks to me, the others are too technical and I flew right past them.

DOA
06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I voted:

Rise Up, Your Dreams Are Waiting
Earn What You're Worth
Your Business, Your Lifestyle

I voted for those because I know your business model (because of the meeting I had with your colleague here in Ottawa). Having said that, I'm not sure than handing out pens is the best option. I know people in marketing, and I remember them saying that the typical swag you pick up at trade shows and such are a complete waste of money. I've heard some say t-shirts make a bigger impact, but that obviously comes with a higher price tag and it might not hit the demographic you're targeting. Pens, mouse pads, wrist bands, stress balls, etc. have all been overused. I'm not sure what the answer is to the swag, but those are my three votes above.

I know marketing "gifts" don't really work for new business. It's more giving people the feeling that you appreciate them with a small token. I do other things that are more personal. Pens seem like the way to go. When I'm signing forms with someone and they comment "hey, this is a nice pen", I want to be able to say "keep it". Knowing how pens get passed around I thought maybe someone else might look at it and wonder "what's this?". Also, if I get this done quick enough I can add them to Steve's Poker Shoot.

Thanks for your input guys! Anyone have some suggestions?

Candychikita
06-06-2015, 01:45 AM
T-shirts and silkscreening you can get at bargain basement costs if you have the right connections with wholesalers. Mens and kids t-shirts are $2-3, womens are more pricey at $6 because they are fitted. Silkscreening you are looking at $25 set up fee minimum and then for a single colour screen they start at about $5 a pop. If you want to cut out all the middlemen, silkscreening is a fun and easy project to do, materials you can get pretty easily and you can change your screens simply as you need by literally changing the silk. Look for Speedball Diazo stuff, it's got the best instructions. Kits are about $80 but good for multiple small scale runs - my kids LOVE to silk screen and set up screens because we make a whole batch of different designs for different screens and set up a dark room to expose the negative area on the screens. With digital media, using a dark room and exposing things to light is becoming a lost art. There are classes for new silk screeners that happen (here it's community guides/continuing education guide) and aligning yourself up with a class could provide some people willing to make up some screens for you for a nominal fee and effort.

If you're doing tshirt advertising, it would be better to get involved with "sponsoring" a run or something where a) the contestants all wear your name and b) you get free media exposure of every single person wearing that tshirt. Plus tshirts are provided via wholesalers and the silk screening is someone else's problem if this sounds like less of a fun art project and more of a headache.

Pens...those work. As long as you are giving them out as they are needed vs. as "gifts" or dumping them on prospective businesses for holidays etc. Giving them out this way will get you a Ned Ryerson (Groundhog's Day) flavour in your potential people's mouths - selling/giving stuff that they don't need with strings attached, possibly bad timing.

No to magnets and calendars - those literally get tossed immediately. They are outdated and really look like zero effort was made.

Higher cost quirky items vs multitudes of dollar store junk people keep. USB sticks are useful for most people who own a computer.

One of the things I found with looking into starting in your industry were difficulties generating solid leads who actually were interested in the services you could provide. Pairing your young protoges with wills/estates lawyers and setting up some information sessions about will planning for young parents and beyond would probably help generate some leads. As well, pairing with a mortgage person and getting them to discuss the pros of going life insurance vs. mortgage insurance with their clients makes sense. Is there some sort of referral program that is in place with financial reward, for other businesses/people to take advantage of etc. There is a significant uncertainty when starting and if you could provide them with some sort of easy leads to see them on their way (over and beyond what are normally covered by your actual company) could help you win over more people. Finding out who might be thinking about a) caring for their kids b) caring for their mortgage c) coming into funds and unsure about what to do with them...anyone else that you think might be struggling with making some pretty big decisions and market there. Heck, you could even do a public speaking thing at a school for Gr 12 students - catch them while they are young and before they saddle themselves with debt! You might not see immediate gains, but you could make an impact. This isn't so much ...marketing stuff/catch phrase but getting people to think and see value in you and your industry without being pushy...training your proteges on where to see those prospective leads, where they congregate, and how to approach them with dignity and respect would help?

Enjoy :D

blacksmithden
06-06-2015, 09:56 AM
He's got nice pens. I stole one off his desk ! LOL !!!! At least I told him I was taking it. :)

I've got to be honest Scott. I wouldn't open up a website because of what's on a pen. I have handed out all the business cards you gave me though. Give me another hand full the next time we have coffee.

Foxer
06-06-2015, 11:53 AM
I would use a pen to remind me about a website that I already wanted to look up - for example if i met you and thougth I should check your services out, i might keep a pen and then remember to look it up later. I actually do that with trades all the time.

But the pen in and of itself wouldn't inspire me in the slightest, and I wouldnt' care about the slogan per se. I'd either already decided i was interested or I wouldn't be.

lone-wolf
06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
"LIVE NUDE GIRLS"

I voted none. But,
"Your Business, Your Lifestyle" sounds intriguing, but convoluted - as in, wtf exactly are they referring to?
"Earn What You're Worth" I don't think there's a person alive outside a senate office who thinks they're earning what they're worth, so that's intriguing too but maybe only those who are low income.

DOA
06-06-2015, 02:15 PM
T-shirts and silkscreening you can get at bargain basement costs if you have the right connections with wholesalers. Mens and kids t-shirts are $2-3, womens are more pricey at $6 because they are fitted. Silkscreening you are looking at $25 set up fee minimum and then for a single colour screen they start at about $5 a pop. If you want to cut out all the middlemen, silkscreening is a fun and easy project to do, materials you can get pretty easily and you can change your screens simply as you need by literally changing the silk. Look for Speedball Diazo stuff, it's got the best instructions. Kits are about $80 but good for multiple small scale runs - my kids LOVE to silk screen and set up screens because we make a whole batch of different designs for different screens and set up a dark room to expose the negative area on the screens. With digital media, using a dark room and exposing things to light is becoming a lost art. There are classes for new silk screeners that happen (here it's community guides/continuing education guide) and aligning yourself up with a class could provide some people willing to make up some screens for you for a nominal fee and effort.

If you're doing tshirt advertising, it would be better to get involved with "sponsoring" a run or something where a) the contestants all wear your name and b) you get free media exposure of every single person wearing that tshirt. Plus tshirts are provided via wholesalers and the silk screening is someone else's problem if this sounds like less of a fun art project and more of a headache.

Pens...those work. As long as you are giving them out as they are needed vs. as "gifts" or dumping them on prospective businesses for holidays etc. Giving them out this way will get you a Ned Ryerson (Groundhog's Day) flavour in your potential people's mouths - selling/giving stuff that they don't need with strings attached, possibly bad timing.

No to magnets and calendars - those literally get tossed immediately. They are outdated and really look like zero effort was made.

Higher cost quirky items vs multitudes of dollar store junk people keep. USB sticks are useful for most people who own a computer.

One of the things I found with looking into starting in your industry were difficulties generating solid leads who actually were interested in the services you could provide. Pairing your young protoges with wills/estates lawyers and setting up some information sessions about will planning for young parents and beyond would probably help generate some leads. As well, pairing with a mortgage person and getting them to discuss the pros of going life insurance vs. mortgage insurance with their clients makes sense. Is there some sort of referral program that is in place with financial reward, for other businesses/people to take advantage of etc. There is a significant uncertainty when starting and if you could provide them with some sort of easy leads to see them on their way (over and beyond what are normally covered by your actual company) could help you win over more people. Finding out who might be thinking about a) caring for their kids b) caring for their mortgage c) coming into funds and unsure about what to do with them...anyone else that you think might be struggling with making some pretty big decisions and market there. Heck, you could even do a public speaking thing at a school for Gr 12 students - catch them while they are young and before they saddle themselves with debt! You might not see immediate gains, but you could make an impact. This isn't so much ...marketing stuff/catch phrase but getting people to think and see value in you and your industry without being pushy...training your proteges on where to see those prospective leads, where they congregate, and how to approach them with dignity and respect would help?

Enjoy :D
Thanks for the thoughts! I'll look into doing silk screening with my kids....

There are definitely a lot of junk out there and I've tried some of it. Magnets do keep a name and phone number handy, if they want it. I've visited clients that still had it on the fridge. Same thing with calendars, a few appreciated it and used it (I did a motivational one with good quotes but tacky pics one year) but more tossed them.

We have a near perfect system for always working in a warm market so I'm not really looking at this as a way to find new clients. This is more of a way for the one off person that wants more out of life and just wonders what else is out there. I see pens as something useful that gets passed around and maybe one day someone out of maybe 100 might look at it and think "what's this", look me up and have a chat. I do have to buy pens anyway, I'd like to capitalize on the expense and thought this might work better than just my name and number. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have spoke to a few High School Classes. It's interesting how half of them fall asleep immediately and the other half are so curious that they keep asking questions past the bell. No business comes from this unless the teacher is interested but hopefully a few will have a better understanding of how things work.

It's really too bad your experience with looking into the industry was a negative one. There's a huge need so it's actually quite easy to find prospects through everyday conversation. Networking is how any good business is built, offering good solutions to people. Those that cold call are wasting their time.

Camo tung
06-06-2015, 02:43 PM
I voted "Goals are dreams with a plan" as it had an underlying message (to me, anyway) of saving and money management. Seems it would apply to the individual or the business owner.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents...my billing is in the mail.

DOA
06-06-2015, 02:53 PM
I voted "Goals are dreams with a plan" as it had an underlying message (to me, anyway) of saving and money management. Seems it would apply to the individual or the business owner.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents...my billing is in the mail.

Thanks, I would agree with you on the dual meaning. I am also glad we got rid of pennies and 2 gets rounded down.

Camo tung
06-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks, I would agree with you on the dual meaning. I am also glad we got rid of pennies and 2 gets rounded down.

And now I slink away with that free business advice....:awww

DOA
06-09-2015, 12:48 PM
So it seems that only 10% of those that view this thread are voting..... I'd like to get more opinions!

Camo tung
06-09-2015, 08:05 PM
So it seems that only 10% of those that view this thread are voting..... I'd like to get more opinions!

Seeing as how my "two cents" didn't pan out, for a larger sum I could be convinced to vote again.