PDA

View Full Version : Should I talk to the neighbours?

Hardhead
06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm just getting into shooting. I've got an application underway for an R-PAL. Interested in target shooting, maybe IPSC or IDPA if I get good enough.

Here's the question... I have two kids, 4 and 7. The neighbours' kids, around the same age, are frequently in our house playing. We're on good terms with all the neighbours, but I have never talked to any of them about guns before, so I have no idea whether they have any opinions on the subject. Some people have nutty ideas, especially as regards some kinds of guns that people see as inherently evil.

Would it be a good idea to tell the neighbours about my plans, and reassure them that there is no reasonably foreseeable chance that their kids will ever find a gun, especially a loaded gun, lying around the place? I intend to be as responsible a gun owner as you'll ever find anywhere. Would it be reasonable to talk to the kids themselves, just in case I somehow failed to secure a gun properly (maybe I got struck by lightning while cleaning it)? I would warn them that if they do somehow happen to find a gun that looks real, then it probably is real, and they should not touch it, just tell an adult.

If I ever take my own sons shooting, and I expect I will, then there would seem to be a fairly high chance that the neighbours will hear about it anyway.

But maybe bringing it up at all is just asking for trouble.

Haywire1
06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
I would just carry on and if the subject comes up adress it then. Thats all I have ever done. Sure I have offended some neighbors. But who gives a fig, I dont live by their rules.

Jerry Champagne
06-04-2015, 09:28 PM
No. Store your firearms properly and it's a non issue.

Mil Specs
06-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Educate your kids about guns, how to handle them and when to handle them (when you are present and supervising them). Store them properly and take the reasonable precautions (Ie. some kids are extra curious or extra sneaky ) . I would not see any reason to involve our neighbors ,it is really none of their concern if you are reasonably cautious .You could invite them to a range to join you for an afternoon shoot though.

Haywire1
06-04-2015, 09:44 PM
I would just carry on and if the subject comes up adress it then. Thats all I have ever done. Sure I have offended some neighbors. But who gives a fig, I dont live by their rules.

Edit-when I say their rules I mean of course their idea of what the rules should be or what they think they are.

blacksmithden
06-04-2015, 09:59 PM
For some brain washed reason, you're looking for approval from your neighbors for your hobby. If you bought a fast motorcycle, would you do the same ? If you bought a riding mower, would you seek their approval for that ? I don't need my neighbor's approval for stuff that doesn't effect them. My neighbors should be no more concerned about my guns than they are about my fishing rod. If there is ever a question about it being dangerous, ask them straight out...in a non-apologetic way, what rational reasoning they used to come to believe there was the slightest question of safety. The news ? The news sensationalizes every damned thing to the greatest possible extent, up to and including inventing complete fabrications, and calling them facts, to make their story get one more hit on the internet. Any neighbor who would blindly believe what they read on the internet or see on the news as absolute truth is a moron who isn't worth my intellectual time.

Mil Specs
06-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Blacksmithden,As long as you are crimping the barbs on your hooks! I agree fishingrods are none of the neighbors beeswax! Lol

coastal
06-04-2015, 10:22 PM
I agree, it's too bad you even have to think like this, and I don't mean the OP, I mean any gun owner in general.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother bringing it up unless they asked you what hobbies you are into at a cul-de-sac block party. At that point I would proudly and enthusiastically tell them how fun your new competition shooting sport is. ;)

Rory McCanuck
06-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Shouldn't most people just assume that people have firearms in the house?
Tell them you have a car in the driveway, that's considerably more dangerous.

CaperJim
06-05-2015, 04:52 AM
My neighbours know I'm a PAL holder when they see me loading the car to head to the range lol. One neighbour has guns (used to see him shooting on the step on New Years), his son is next door and he's an army medic, other two neighbours are tennants so they better just keep their mouths shut! lol :)

CaperJim
06-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Shouldn't most people just assume that people have firearms in the house?
Tell them you have a car in the driveway, that's considerably more dangerous.

I picked up 2 girls hitchhiking along the Cabot Trail two days ago. They were from Germany. Das cuten patooten. They were terrified of the shotgun in the back that was sitting there. Once they realized they were due for no harm and I explained it's legal, they got a big kick out of it. "If only mom could see me now!"

Kane63
06-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Kitchen knives or drain cleaner are more of a hazard than stored firearms. It would be a wtf moment if this thread was about telling the neighbours that you have kitchen knives or use draino. ;D

Personally, I keep my firearms in areas that are "off limits" to kids anyway (for more than just that reason).

sallen
06-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I would not tell them ahead of time. I would make sure that your kids understand that they can see your guns any time they want, and you will take them out. Also let them know if their friends want to see them, you will show them. This should take away any desire for the kids to sneak around behind your back, and play with, or show their friends your guns. If they request you show them to their friends, I would run it by their parents at that time. If you treat them as taboo, the kids will want to find them.

DOA
06-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Yes you should talk to your neighbours. That's what good neighbours do! About your guns? Sure, share your hobby. Invite them to join you. Not as a warning. They may bring up concerns if they're ignorant about them. Use to opportunity to educate. You will have them safely stored for your own kids safety, no need to be worried about it beyond that.

For some brain washed reason, you're looking for approval from your neighbors for your hobby. If you bought a fast motorcycle, would you do the same ? If you bought a riding mower, would you seek their approval for that ? I don't need my neighbor's approval for stuff that doesn't effect them. My neighbors should be no more concerned about my guns than they are about my fishing rod. If there is ever a question about it being dangerous, ask them straight out...in a non-apologetic way, what rational reasoning they used to come to believe there was the slightest question of safety. The news ? The news sensationalizes every damned thing to the greatest possible extent, up to and including inventing complete fabrications, and calling them facts, to make their story get one more hit on the internet. Any neighbor who would blindly believe what they read on the internet or see on the news as absolute truth is a moron who isn't worth my intellectual time.

It's interesting to me how firearms owners have been ostracized to the point that many feel the activity should be hidden. I did for years. Then I learned more about the political climate and realized I may not get to continue to enjoy my sport if things continued as is. I now talk freely about it with others and educate on how safe and enjoyable shooting is (a little more diplomatic than above). I invite anyone interested to join me on the range and encourage them all to get licensed when they have a good time.

TheCenturion
06-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Came to say, 'invite them shooting. Invite their kids shooting with your kids.' Same as any other hobby.

But if you go to them treating your own hobby like it's so dangerous that you need to warn them that their kids will be exposed to the evil rays emanating off of your guns, they're going to believe you. If you treat your hobby like any other, they're more likely to, as well.

The kids can find any number of things in the kitchen, bathroom, workshop, etc etc, far more dangerous than your guns, assuming you follow the absolute basics of responsible gun storage.

wolver
06-05-2015, 11:13 AM
I picked up 2 girls hitchhiking along the Cabot Trail two days ago. They were from Germany. Das cuten patooten. They were terrified of the shotgun in the back that was sitting there. Once they realized they were due for no harm and I explained it's legal, they got a big kick out of it. "If only mom could see me now!"

They were likely city folk,(they seem to be the same everywhere), as Germans are no strangers to guns. Some of their laws are more lax than ours.

Brayden14
09-22-2015, 07:07 PM
So I realize that I'm months late to the party on this one, I think my "Join Date" explains why. After reading through the previous posts I can't help but notice that it hasn't been directly mentioned that part of safe and responsible firearms storage (as covered in the CFSC/CRFSC manuals) involves educating others in the home about being around firearms. While that doesn't mean that you have to teach them how to use it or bring them up to PAL or RPAL standards it does mean that you should ensure that they have enough knowledge about firearms that they are comfortable being around them and have enough knowledge about the potential risks of mishandling a firearm that they don't feel the urge to handle them unsupervised.

With that, in direct response to the original post, if your neighbours' children spend a considerable amount of time in your home and there aren't areas that are considered off-limits (or if you have reason to believe that those boundaries won't be respected, they are kids after all) then the answer is yes, you should definitely talk to your neighbours about owning a firearm. If they are uncomfortable with the idea of their children being around firearms then you should do your best to educate them as you would someone in your own home and get their consent to do the same with their children.

Firearm ownership may have a stigma surrounding it in the eyes of many, but that group should not include firearms owners themselves. Those who have been educated about responsible firearm ownership are the only people who can help remove that stigma, and whenever possible we should make a proper effort to do so. We don't have to treat it like a religion or a political campaign and go knocking door to door, just recognize the proper times to address the issue and take the time to do it.

JDP
09-22-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't think there is any reason for you to bring the topic up. As long as you are responsible with your gun ownership and use reasonable discretion there is no reason for your gun ownership or interest to be anyone else's business (unless you want it to be). It has never been an issue for me where on my street many kids live. They are completely safe as I am a very responsible gun owner. My interest does not affect the day to day life of my neighbours nor their kids.

Foxer
09-22-2015, 11:36 PM
To a degree, obscurity is security. We should be proud gun owners, and I do talk to people about guns quite a bit. But - maybe wait for it to come up before going to them. If you make a big deal of it, they'll think it's a big deal. It's much better to be in a position down the road to say 'oh those? Sure - i've owned them for years. we can talk about them if you like' rather than "i'm about to do something and i'm coming to you first to give you a chance to voice an opinion i don't intend to do anything about if i dislike."

RobertMcC
09-23-2015, 06:11 AM
I lived here 3 years and I never brought it up. I lie to what they are. Even neighbor said flat out she hates firearms, don't like to be around them ( shes moving anyways )

Less they know the better. Or as they say....Nunya Business.

Mark-II
09-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Security through obscurity here as well. Mostly because I don't want to be a target of petty criminals more than I'm concerned about neighbors.

I mean, I won't put up a "this house protected by smith and Wesson" sign or anything.

But I'll engage with anyone who wants to talk. It's known at work what I do for fun.

Couching anything as a caution or warning is bad, because it puts you at a disadvantage and makes your place and even yourself seem dangerous.

It's not as though you have an alligator farm in your swimming pool, or anything.

TheCenturion
09-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Security through Obscurity is no security at all; just ask an ostrich. (Yes, yes, I know.)

However, this doesn't mean you need to advertise anything. Would you feel the need to warn your neighbours about, oh, the chemicals under your sink? The workshop full of tools? The sacks of fertilizer out back, and the jerry can of diesel? Kitchen knives? Electrical outlets?

And as Mark-II points out, would you casually mention your catalog of jewelry, or other valuables?

RobertMcC
09-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Don't ask, don't tell.

statixstorm
10-26-2015, 01:37 PM
If you are properly storing your firearms, I don't see a single situation where they would need to know, there is zero chance of them seeing the guns, much less getting hurt by them.

Klorem
04-11-2016, 05:58 PM
I would agree with Haywire. If it comes up, then don't be shy about it but I don't think they need to be informed out of safety concerns or anything. If they are really worried they can bring it up with you themselves and you can tell them how safely you handle your firearms.

I lived adjacent to my landlord at the time for a year. He is fairly anti-hunting and somewhat anti-gun. I never told him that I was cleaning shotguns and ducks in the next room, and what he didn't know never hurt either of us. Ignorance is bliss my friend.

chadeech
04-11-2016, 07:55 PM
i dont speak with my neighbors yeah im that guy i keep to myself and prefer they do the same ,,a nod is all the talking i do maybe a good morning and if they wonder what the long black cases i am carrying are then they could ask ,,,
i dont care what their hobbies are live and let live

Yogi05
04-12-2016, 02:27 AM
Why do so many gun owners feel the need to find an excuse to let people know they have guns?

Do I need to tell police I have a gun in the car......
Using your PAL as I.D. whenever you get the chance (and then surprised they have no idea what it is)

If neighbours ask because their kids come over, discuss it. Otherwise it's just another hobby and no one's business.

KB_TheDireWolf
04-12-2016, 07:15 PM
If you feel its necessary then yes, go right ahead.

I believe you should teach your kids about gun safety. However, you should always lock your guns up or disable them using a bicycle chain style gun lock when not in use, because curiosity can killed the cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdnyvwIzg0

Zinilin
04-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Why do so many gun owners feel the need to find an excuse to let people know they have guns?...

It makes the idea of ownership more common, less unusual and less scary.
The more people that know or are personally aware of people that own firearms and did not read about them in the news, the better.
If you hide something long enough it becomes unusual, deviant and taboo.

Yogi05
04-13-2016, 02:31 AM
I'm not suggesting anyone hide the fact. I certainly don't.

But neither do I feel the need to introduce myself to a neighbor and tell them I have guns, (just so you know in case your kid comes over) or to use my PAL as ID.

If someone asks what I do for fun - guns. What do I spend my money on - guns.

Maybe I just have an aversion to bringing it up first.

"Afternoon officer, I feel I should let you know I have several firearms in the trunk".

As to the OP, obviously I don't think you need to let the neighbours know. Just make sure the kids can't access them. If the neighbours ask if you have guns in the house say yeah, why? Go from there as you see fit.

TheHydrant
04-13-2016, 04:57 AM
I had been friends with my neighbors for some time before telling them about my guns. It would be difficult for them to make a pariah out of me after all the free snowblowing I had done for them,over the years. Some have expressed that they don't care for guns, and have given me the "you're twice as likely to shoot a family member than an intruder" argument, but I still get invited to bbq's and for wobbly pops in the driveway. Hasn't had a negative effect on my friendships. It's not like I just sit on the stoop twirling my pistols anyway.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

awndray
04-13-2016, 04:59 AM
I agree with Yogi. Just the same, I wouldn't go knock on my neighbor's door to tell him I have a workshop that looks like a Home Depot catalog.

Waterloomike
04-13-2016, 07:43 AM
My neighbours know I have guns. The next door neighbours and i collaborate for a huge neighbourhood fireworks party on May 24 and July 1st. I Give all the kids baseballs and have suffered little to no animosity. I know of one liberal neighbour that despises guns, but say little to me about it anymore, as their arguments are the usual claptrap which is easily dispensed with.

blacksmithden
04-13-2016, 08:53 AM
A few weeks back, I was just coming back from the range and my neighbor from across the street came over to say hi. He asked what was new. I pulled out my AR-10, made sure it was safe, and handed it to him. He was looking it over, and before he was done, the other 2 neighbors (who aren't a waste of oxygen) were over having a look. One asked me what I needed it for. I told him 'to shoot'. We all laughed. I have made sure to be the best neighbor I can be. I've also made sure that it's no secret that I own a fair chunk of firearms. The one guy jokes 'if the zombies ever come, I'm heading to your house' lol

Sure.....everybody makes fun of the Redneck....until the zombie apocalypse happens. Lol.

awndray
04-13-2016, 09:33 AM
The one guy jokes 'if the zombies ever come, I'm heading to your house' lol

Sure.....everybody makes fun of the Redneck....until the zombie apocalypse happens. Lol.

Yup. It's not uncommon to hear that from many people who oppose civilian gun ownership, whether it's a redneck or a city slicker who owns them. These people who bitch and moan about "easy access to guns" are the same ones who say, "I know who's house I'm going to when shit hits the fan."

Waterloomike
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
odd statement that. If my guns would not be wanted at their house why would they assume they are welcome at mine when they want my guns to serve them?

Yogi05
04-13-2016, 11:48 AM
odd statement that. If my guns would not be wanted at their house why would they assume they are welcome at mine when they want my guns to serve them?

Which is why I tell them if they survive the zombies, can find my place and can get past the claymores on the perimeter they're welcome.

They get first watch. I ain't doing all the work.

And bring coffee and donuts.

Waterloomike
04-13-2016, 01:09 PM
My first thought is to ask them what they want since guns are visible? Why aren't they campaigning for more money for a zombie rehab social program?

TheHydrant
04-13-2016, 02:56 PM
It can be fun to mess with certain neighbors. My very next door neighbor saw me unloading my car of ammo boxes and rifle cases and he asked why I had them. I answered "I was watching Walking Dead the other day and started thinking 'what if...?'"
He looked at me for second unsure if I was kidding or not before making some sort of nervous laughter. Ironically he is probably nicer to me than anyone else I know.

nlitend1
05-28-2016, 10:37 PM
It can be fun to mess with certain neighbors. My very next door neighbor saw me unloading my car of ammo boxes and rifle cases and he asked why I had them. I answered "I was watching Walking Dead the other day and started thinking 'what if...?'"
He looked at me for second unsure if I was kidding or not before making some sort of nervous laughter. Ironically he is probably nicer to me than anyone else I know.

Haha thats funny
Almost all my neighbors are packin!

CORBETT
02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Tell.... don't tell... as long as your weapons are stored safely with no chance of the wee ones getting into them the problem is solved... you can't change how some feel about guns so don't worry about it......

Deuce-deuce
02-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Dude... I grew up around guns. Always in the house. I also grew up around fishing rods... you could throw a rock of my childhood deck and easily hit the ocean.
I've been hooked hundreds of times including one pretty darn close to my eye. I've seen dogs, children, old people, birds and anything else you can think of hooked. It happens.
How many shootings have I seen or how many times have I been shot? Zero.

Joshua13
02-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Sooo I too have small children and they have friends over. I happen to have one out while I was watching TV and the kids who came over had never seen one before and were quite interested in it. I decided to just put it away instead. And second story: my kids teacher was talking about making their homes better and thing they could get or do so my kid decided to tell his teacher that we needed more guns at home and he could buy me some, and drew it all in a very nice picture. The teacher approached my wife about it. Wanted to make sure everything was OK at home. My wife just said I was a hunter and my old rifle broke so I needed a new one.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

TheHydrant
02-21-2017, 08:56 AM
I told my closest neighbors about my guns just to avoid any unnecessary alarm if they ever saw my with them loading the car or whatever. I got the usual lefty talking points but I think they have long forgotten about it. Never been an issue. Snow blow a few driveways to be a good neighbor and you stop being scary pretty quick.

blacksmithden
02-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Sooo I too have small children and they have friends over. I happen to have one out while I was watching TV and the kids who came over had never seen one before and were quite interested in it. I decided to just put it away instead. And second story: my kids teacher was talking about making their homes better and thing they could get or do so my kid decided to tell his teacher that we needed more guns at home and he could buy me some, and drew it all in a very nice picture. The teacher approached my wife about it. Wanted to make sure everything was OK at home. My wife just said I was a hunter and my old rifle broke so I needed a new one.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Snoopy uneducated liberal teachers are the best argument on the planet for home schooling.

glockfan
02-21-2017, 09:33 PM
why the need to tell a simple neighbor you are into guns....that is YOUR OWN hobby,and unless neighbor is a gun owner , it is just opening the door to an unsuspected fear eater who might get you in troubles after an argument or whatever . on top of that you have young kids at home and your kids plays with kids neighbor occasionnally. i would not take the risk of getting heat later on. after all it is only a neighbor, and you never know with people who aren't close friends or relative....on top of all that, perhaps he's a liberal.

Pariegh
02-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Why? Depends on where you live. We live in the country here and out of courtesy let the neighbours know that we intended to occasionally do some shooting on our property. They were all fine with it although one neighbour that runs a popular tourist food attraction requested we kept it quiet for them Friday and Saturdays evenings in the summer as they have city folks at their event.

In the city I probably would probably get to know a neighbour before mentioning anything. Gives you an excuse to invite them over for a coffee and learn a thing or two about them.

pewpew62
02-28-2017, 12:48 PM
It is our responsibility as firearms owners to educate our cohabitants regarding firearms safety and storage. When doing so with my son, I told him not to share that there are firearms stored in the house as it can make you a target for a break-in. You know, he tells two friends, they tell two friends...

I also conceal that I own firearms from my son's friends, as they may have anti parents that could interfere in their friendship. If it ever came to the point that "little bad Johnny isn't allowed to come over to our house anymore because you have guns", I would feel terrible and I'm not sure how I would handle that, so I do understand the reasoning behind being proactive.

Sinbad
02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Must be slow this thread is almost 2 years old