PDA

View Full Version : Help settle a debate about shotgun gauge with annoying know it all

Anthony
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
You all know one of those know it all's, well I'm having a debate with him about what a gauge means he says it's the type of wrench you use when making shot gun shells. Could you please in detail explain what a shot gun gauge is for him he won't believe me but maybe he'll believe me if he sees your reply's

Prairie Dog
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Shotgun gauges are determined by the number of lead balls of a given diameter required to make one pound of that size ball. Thus 10 balls of 10 gauge diameter are required to make one pound of such balls, or 20 balls of 20 gauge diameter are required to make one pound, and so forth. This is the traditional, and very old, system. The actual (nominal) bore diameters of the various gauges are as follows: 10 gauge = .775 inch, 12 gauge = .729 inch, 16 gauge = .662 inch, 20 gauge = .615 inch, 28 gauge = .550 inch. The .410 is named for its nominal bore size, and is not a gauge at all.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm

Garetsu
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM
-- I was too slow :-P

What I was told was a shotgun gauge is the size of the ball of lead, if you took 1 lbs of lead and melted it down into that many equal balls.

So, 12 gauge is 1lbs of lead melted into 12 equal balls, etc.

RobSmith
06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Another probable "myth" to dispell ... Barrel lenght vs pattern size...

Garetsu
06-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Another probable "myth" to dispell ... Barrel lenght vs pattern size...

Aye, I've wanted to see a conclusive test about that, too. Tried looking around the internet for one, but it's always off one way or another. I'd want to see cylinder bore only, 14, 18.5, 24, and 28" barrels put to the test with bird and buckshot at a few different ranges, and some sort of standard scoring system to easily reference between them.

RobSmith
06-07-2012, 03:04 PM
You pretty much read my mind there ... Sick and tired of the "scattergun" (assumed) myth ... Seriously, how much farther can shot spread if it get's thrown out of a 12 inch barrel rather than a "good" 26 inch barrel ? My mind simply cannot understand how 14 inches of flight could possibly affect shot that much ...

Aye, I've wanted to see a conclusive test about that, too. Tried looking around the internet for one, but it's always off one way or another. I'd want to see cylinder bore only, 14, 18.5, 24, and 28" barrels put to the test with bird and buckshot at a few different ranges, and some sort of standard scoring system to easily reference between them.

Anthony
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys

lone-wolf
06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
A wrench to make shotgun shells?? What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEW5mh7iAI

road kill
06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Holy crap now i`ve heard another one, a wrench for making shotgun shells. I wonder if the local Napa store can get me one of those wrenches. From the Canadian Firearms Safety Course book. Guage--The measurement of the diameter of a shotgun bore. It is an old system of measureing and standardising bore size.