PDA

View Full Version : Pay as you go gun ranges in southern Ontario??

Cruiser-500
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Going to be purchasing a handgun soon, but I don't have enough money to buy a membership at the moment. Are there any ranges that you can just pay at the door to shoot for a day? I live in southern Ontario. Thanks in advance!

mlehto
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
You will have a hard time with that as you need to be a member of a club to get a long term authorization to transport.

The club applies for you after joining and passing their safety course.

Without being a member or posessing an att you will likely not be allowed to shoot any restricteds.

My club Silverdale does have day passes but the issues above will come up.

Target sports is another option but they are expensive as hell.

With the day pass costs you are saving quite a bit purchasing a membership.

SILVERDALE IS ONLY 240 PER YEAR.

Cruiser-500
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
240 is actually affordable! For some reason I thought memberships were a lot more. Thank you very much, I will look into getting a membership there.

Cruiser-500
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Will I not be able to purchase a handgun without having a membership to a club? Ive heard some people say you can and some say you cant.

Skeetgunner
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
You can always purchase a handgun before joining a club. In fact its mandatory you have a restricted before applying for an ATT. Just tell the CFO you are in the process of joining range XYZ.

mlehto
06-07-2012, 06:49 PM
You can but they ask what club you belong to in the transfer process.

The typical way of going about it is to say that you are in the proxess or plan to join so and so club.

Your problem will be that I have heard Silverdale is at capacity and not accepting new members.

mlehto
06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Skeetgunner your slackin!

No plug for Range Burlington?

:p

That is another option for you Cruiser. Nice facilities but often lengthly joining process. Great if yourjust into handguns though. Prolly closer to ya as well.

Cruiser-500
06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Yea I looked up silverdale, it is a bit too far from my house to be convient anyways. I will have to look else where. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Skeetgunner
06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Skeetgunner your slackin!

No plug for Range Burlington?

:p

Hey, its summer....I'm on vacation. :cool:

jwirecom109
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
what is this vacation you speak of and why are you on it?

BigI
06-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Lets be clear about this. Yes you can buy restricted without club. However no ATT to shoot as pay as you go! So gun stays at home till you get membership and till the club applies and receives your ATT.

bccanadian
06-16-2012, 07:55 PM
On a side note, is Cole (cold?) creek still open as a public range or did they close that down. I went there with my revolver etc. back in the late 80's?

heavy_e
08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Is there any clubs that will allow people who have an ATT from another club to come in by their self and shoot. My club only allows .223 frangible and nothing higher, looking for somewhere preferably outside. I love my range but $30 for 20 rounds of frangible can drain the pocketbooks really fast and the refit to the range is still down the road a bit.

31-Bravo
08-12-2012, 06:19 AM
I feel bad for you guys in the city. As much as I miss Toronto every time I read of things like this I'm glad I'm on the east coast and belong to an outdoor range where you can shoot anything from 9mm to .50 BMG.

Garetsu
08-12-2012, 08:46 AM
My big issue is I've been trying to find a place to go where I can shoot my Mosin at longer range, but every single range that's within an hour drive of me is members-only, most of them are indoor pistol-only, and they all command a $400 --> $700 per year membership fee.

There is a range out west a bit that I went to a month or two ago that wasn't too bad, cheap yearly fee ($125 year) but you still paid small amounts each time you went, and that was about 2 hours away from me. I haven't been to Silverdale, but I would really like to check it out, at some point... They definitely seemed to have the best facilities for the best price, but they're also about 2 hours away.

Maybe I'm just not used to this, yet, haha, is 1 - 2 hours drive to a good range something a lot of people do? What is your guy's drive time to your range?

Haywire1
08-12-2012, 09:25 AM
about 15 minutes for one, 5 minuts for the other

jonanddad
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Yea the good outdoor ranges are about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 min away, The 2 indoor ones are around 20-30 min away( only been to the indoor ones afew times)

BuckingFastard
08-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Pretty soon It'll be 5-10 minute drive to rdsc :) other then that I've been to one indoor range. For the most part I just go east or west of town where I can shoot for miles (non-res of course:p). When I lived in whitecourt 50cal and friends used to come there for quarterly shoots, great range only down side was 100m max distance other then that great set up for pistols and AR's

Neil Burke
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Lets be clear about this. Yes you can buy restricted without club. However no ATT to shoot as pay as you go! So gun stays at home till you get membership and till the club applies and receives your ATT.

Yes, you can get a restricted without a club membership. Just tell them which one you intend to join. I did this about a month and a half ago. You can get an ATT to go shoot "pay as you go", problem is it's only for one visit and someone from the club has to fax the CFO a letter of invitation.

Is there any clubs that will allow people who have an ATT from another club to come in by their self and shoot. My club only allows .223 frangible and nothing higher, looking for somewhere preferably outside. I love my range but $30 for 20 rounds of frangible can drain the pocketbooks really fast and the refit to the range is still down the road a bit.

Yes there are. Read over your ATT, should say something about all sanctioned ranges by the CFO. It will be pay as you go though. Either by the hour or day pass depending on location. Basically find a range within a distance that you are comfortable with and give them a call to see their rates and times. I know Colby in Waterloo is something like 11$ an hour and only restriction on Ammo is not steel. Thing is it's an indoor range so, as you said you wanted out door, look around and make some calls. If you're using your own guns, you can supply your own ammo typically.

Neil Burke
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
My big issue is I've been trying to find a place to go where I can shoot my Mosin at longer range, but every single range that's within an hour drive of me is members-only, most of them are indoor pistol-only, and they all command a $400 --> $700 per year membership fee.

There is a range out west a bit that I went to a month or two ago that wasn't too bad, cheap yearly fee ($125 year) but you still paid small amounts each time you went, and that was about 2 hours away from me. I haven't been to Silverdale, but I would really like to check it out, at some point... They definitely seemed to have the best facilities for the best price, but they're also about 2 hours away.

Maybe I'm just not used to this, yet, haha, is 1 - 2 hours drive to a good range something a lot of people do? What is your guy's drive time to your range?

10 to 15 mins by car, but that's cause it's an indoor range. Out door would be closer to 30 mins ish. The drive time for you might also be because you're in the GTA...

Onagoth
08-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Just join EESA. $180 and that includes your membership with CSSA. There is an initiation fee and work hour requirement though.

Its near Alymer, Ontario

Garetsu
08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Seems like the issue here is the GTA, haha.

Well, looks like I'll just suck it up and drive for now, and move further out of the city when I can. Well, that was my plan before I got my PAL, anyways! (Extreme dislike for cities!)

Thanks for the responses!

Ric O'Shea
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Also check out the Waterford Gun Club. Just south of Brantford. Inexpensive and friendly, indoor/outdoor.

Garetsu
11-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Also check out the Waterford Gun Club. Just south of Brantford. Inexpensive and friendly, indoor/outdoor.

That's where I ended up buying my membership, hah!

thePLANEfxr
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Dont mean to hyjack the thread but I am looking for a Shotgun and 22 range in the GTA any recommendations? I just moved to the GTA from the East and finding google searches to be very poor to find a club that will take in a new guy

FALover
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
i started buying restricted firearms + my first FAL years ago. i bought as a 'collector' as i did not belong to a club. was lucky to have been grandfathered into my prohibited class when the laws took a turn for the chits.

Garetsu
03-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Dont mean to hyjack the thread but I am looking for a Shotgun and 22 range in the GTA any recommendations? I just moved to the GTA from the East and finding google searches to be very poor to find a club that will take in a new guy

Well, lets just say I need to drive 2 hours to get to my club for a reason, haha! All the GTA ranges are $600+ (From what I've seen), and for most of them you need a member to sponsor you. I went for Waterford, it's out west, just south of Brantford. $126 or so for a yearly membership, they've got everything you could need. Indoor range, trap, skeet, archery, and outdoor 185m.

Wheel44
07-19-2013, 01:35 PM
You must have your restricted PAL to purchase. You CAN purchase, but your ATT will only allow travel to your residence. You will not be issued an ATT for any other reason as a sport shooting person without belonging to a club in good standing. If you have friends involved as well you may consider belonging to different clubs. This will enable you to have access to visitor priveledges we used to have before the new ATT rules were implemented. Multiple ATT will need to be applied for. Fees for my club are $240 yearly plus the membership to the CSSA.