PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Moving from Texas to Calgary

J_mcrane
06-09-2015, 07:42 PM
My wife, Canadian, and I will be moving to Alberta in the next 12 months. I am a long time knife and gun guy. Do any of you here have experience in moving from the states to Canada? Do you have any advise regarding banking, vehicles, pets or any other? I know I will probably have to wait to get my permits and bring my guns up later.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwirecom109
06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
You can bring in your guns via Aztech Armory they do imports but you'll need a license first ;)

Foxer
06-09-2015, 11:44 PM
It's so broad a subject - i'm not really sure what to start with. Banking is pretty simple here - there aren't many and they're all secure, some branches are better than others with most of the banks. Vehicles are pretty easy to bring in - I can get you some specifics if you like, my brother is in vehicle sales and does cross border stuff. Our beer is real beer so pace yourself :) Bacon is mandatory at least once a week. We say 'pop', not 'soda'. knives are bountiful, feel free to bring your collection, but no switch blades (which is a knife opened by a spring by depressing a button on the handle, assisted opening knives are generally fine) and no butterfly (aka balisong) knives. OH - and our speed limits are in Kph - NOT mph. So if your car doesn't come marked with klicks you might want to learn to do conversions in your head, because the cop isn't going to buy a lot of excuses if he catches you whipping along at 120 mph on the highway :)

Strewth
06-09-2015, 11:58 PM
^Hey Foxer, do you know offhand if the Out Of Province vehicle inspection in Alberta applies to out of country vehicles? Kill two birds with one daytime running light type thing?

I would add that for pets, it varies? A dog only requires up to date rabies shots if over eight months, but more exotic pets can require an inspection and a specific import permit? Here's the government webpage regarding pet imports....brought to you by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, best not to dwell on that.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578

Foxer
06-10-2015, 12:18 AM
^Hey Foxer, do you know offhand if the Out Of Province vehicle inspection in Alberta applies to out of country vehicles? Kill two birds with one daytime running light type thing?I think it's pretty much the same inspection - they verify it's got all the appropriate parts and you're good. But i'd have to check, i don't know for sure.

Haywire1
06-10-2015, 12:28 AM
All that is required is the out of country inspection, as that replaces the out of province in this case, so there is the good news. The bad news is that you will have to install daytime running lights at a minimum, as a lot if American vehicles dont have them.

Pets, dogs and cats are fine with up to date shots, check strewths link for more indepth Info.

Leave your guns with someone you trust. Once your here, you will have to jump through all the same hoops we have to, and depending on what you have, some might be prohibited, restricted, or non restricted depending on what you have. AR's and handguns are restricted and can only be fired at an approvex range, handguns with barrels under 4" and ak pattern, fn pattern rifles are prohibited. And forget ever having ccw, it absolutely will not happen here unless your a biker who turned fed, or a judge in a high profile case. I cant stress this enough, but before crossing, go through your vehicle with a fine tooth comb and make sure you dont have so much as a shell casing in it, let alone a firearm. We have had many Americans charged because they forgot their handgun or rifle in the vehicle when crossing the border. Yes our laws suck, yes we are making progress on changing them, no it is nowhere near fast enough, nor will it ever be complete enough to satisfy most of us.

Swampdonkey
06-10-2015, 06:10 AM
Do you work for an oil company?

J_mcrane
06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
No, worse. I'm in education. I'm a assistant principal.

Haywire1
06-10-2015, 07:17 PM
As long as your not one of those left wing "omg the letter "L" looks like a gun lock dkwn the school" types then cmon up, always room for another gun bunny.

Kenwp
06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
And remember the word Bag as nobody uses the word sack in a grocery store and will probably look at you funny unless you visit Quebec where it's the other way around. And don't look in a grocery store for beer as that won't happen either.

Canada_Phil
06-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Just train yourself to add the word "sorry" to your vocabulary. Say it any way you prefer... Sowry, Sawry, Saurry, Sirry.. It's fine. Feel free to add an "Eh" at the end too.

"Sowry, 'eh"

Oh... In Canada, we don't have "Soda"... Its POP!

:)

VooDoo
06-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Start with this: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

But don't expect the local cops to know it too :Bang head:

kennymo
06-11-2015, 01:58 PM
And don't look in a grocery store for beer as that won't happen either.

This one varies. I bought some lovely beer at Superstore last time last time I was in Calgary. Here the small town pharmacy or grocer often serves as the local liquor mart too. Beer selection there is usually limited to specialty stuff though....

J_mcrane
06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
I've been to Canada many times in the last ten years. Just concerned about the move. Lots of loose ends.

mtlgun
06-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the club.

I forget what the number was, but a pro mover once told me it runs @ $1/mile-pound for the first 500 then gets close to $2/mile-pound for the rest. Thus, as you look around your house, take a very hard look at every tooth pick and lead brick and ask yourself " Is it worth paying $400 to move that generic book shelf from here to Canada ? " Unless your move is being paid by someone else very often the answer is no. Also note that everything you sell, give away, is money that once it gets up here is worth more to replace anything you need.

Your biggest annoyance might actually be from the US not Canadian government. You'll need to get a pro to explain the new IRS rules regarding foreign income. The last thing you want is to get nailed with a huge tax bill and fines after being away for five or six years.

As to guns my best advice would be not to bother. Store them in Texas or sell them off and buy new stuff up here. It's actually the US side which has gotten alot worse than us when it comes to firearm import/export regs. If you were to bring a family heirloom up here for a few years and then try to go back you might hit some insane new rule change that could cause you alot of grief trying to go back home. *** remember, there is a dead serious proposal under discussion atm that would ban free speech on reloader and gunsmithing forums because of ' weapons export ' rules. Never pass up the opportunity to buy new guns. Also, don't give in to the temptation to bring two thousand pounds of juicy cheap mil-surp ammo up here and flip it to pay for the move. The US export paper work is a pita.

SIR VEYOR
06-13-2015, 01:43 PM
You can bring in your guns via Aztech Armory they do imports but you'll need a license first ;)

As a US resident\citizen he can do it himself. There's a "one-time permanent export" form for firearms or similar. And you can work on the RPAL\PAL now depending on your pre-move travels. And there may be a few accessories to add on that have a much bigger markup or resale value here than there. Grenade launchers on every AR comes to mind. Depending on travels, probably best to buy new mags here and leave yours down there for full fun.

Vehicles are easy, trailers are even easier by yourself (no motor). Typically there can be a nice markup on trailers, not sure about right now though.

Anything you import cannot be sold for 12 months minimum from date of import.

PODS and ABF are likely your two best options for export transport by others. Make sure your list of goods is detailed, but you don't have to go to crazy with it. Land crossing is recommended to use the one south of Moos Jaw SK. Further west they become more of a PITA from what I understand.

RBC has physical locations in both countries, and online is easy between countries as well. Keep all your accounts open and active as well. It can be problematic to open accounts in different countries. Use Tangerine(ING) as maybe a central one and then filter it into your US and Canada stuff as needed\automated.

SIR VEYOR
06-13-2015, 01:48 PM
^Hey Foxer, do you know offhand if the Out Of Province vehicle inspection in Alberta applies to out of country vehicles? Kill two birds with one daytime running light type thing?

I think it's pretty much the same inspection - they verify it's got all the appropriate parts and you're good. But i'd have to check, i don't know for sure.

The out of country inspection is mostly available only at Canadian Tires, I believe. And you might be able to switch on your daytime running lights with some code readers depending on your vehicle. My last one already had DRLs, but I think I looked at my programmer and it could do it IIRC.

Marshall
06-25-2015, 01:49 AM
As a US resident\citizen he can do it himself. There's a "one-time permanent export" form for firearms or similar.

This is correct... Let me know if you have any questions on how the process works. We're glad to help out however we can.

J_mcrane
06-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Sweating my butt off up here in Calgary. I am missing my a.c.

mtlgun
06-29-2015, 04:54 AM
Ha ha. You didn't let the realestate agent talk you into one of those new fangled ' house ' things did you ? My igloo is pure chillax atm.

Welcome to the club.

pitw
06-29-2015, 10:20 AM
34C and just wonderful out. Killing weeds/trees is sooooooooooo easy. Cultivated the garden, put up fence for the hog, checked many crops and sleep in the tent at night which is cool plus I get to listen to Ma nature. For the people who drive with their windows up, learn to live.

SIR VEYOR
07-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I've been to Canada many times in the last ten years. Just concerned about the move. Lots of loose ends.

There is a fairly new wrinkle in the vehicle import. You need an ITN number from AES to the border 72 hours before you cross, just like the title. You can get that as a US resident\citizen, you don't need to use a broker or intermediary.

The vehicle recall information can be obtained from the US and may be free\cheaper there, especially if you have a place you have a relationship with. Chevy want to charge you a lot of cash, and their dealerships are reluctant to do it .

Not needed for non-motorized things like trailers. The CBP officer didn't know if it was needed for your personal firearms. He did say that firearm regs have been changing lately.

As for goods, they can take a long time to actually come over and you can break it up a lot. Just keep the list of goods they stamp and it'll get updated each time.

I've also got couple of good broker\intermediary people that my friends have excellent success with. Let me know if you need their information. They are western and central based I believe, but deal with all crossing options\locations.

Metric Warrior
07-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Ha ha. You didn't let the realestate agent talk you into one of those new fangled ' house ' things did you ? My igloo is pure chillax atm.

Welcome to the club.

Mine just finished melting.
We'll be roughing it for the next month until the snow returns in six weeks. May break the TeePee out.
Never mind, the dogs enjoy the test from pulling for a month. Enjoy vacation boys.

TheHydrant
07-06-2015, 08:14 PM
brace yourself for our taxes. Texas has no state income tax, am I correct? Just Federal?
You'll find we not only pay higher taxes, we pay too often. I'm almost certain our taxes are taxed too. I can't speak for Alberta, but it can't be all that different from the rest of Canada as far as taxes go. (except Quebec. taxes are weird there :tounge:)

harbl_the_cat
07-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Be careful with your mags too... Magazines designed and manufactured for a pistol can only hold 10, those for a centre fire rifle or shotgun can only hold 5, rimfire rifles can hold unlimited.

If possible, though, try to import an Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf pistol with 5000 10 round pistol magazines.

You'd be the most popular man in the country. Actually - we should see if we can crowd source an initiative to make it so :)

Also, if you need fully furnished, temporary housing at a gun friendly place drop me a PM :)

cybershooters
10-13-2015, 06:45 PM
I know I will probably have to wait to get my permits and bring my guns up later.

Actually the gun side of it is pretty straightforward, the only real snag is having to sit through the firearm safety course. Next time you're up here, book a CFSC/CFRSC at the local gun shop/range (they do them at TSE in Calgary regularly) and once you've passed the test, you can apply for your firearm licence. Anything non-restricted you just bring with you, anything restricted you have to phone up the CFC first, get them registered and apply for an ATT to bring them up from the border to your house.

The hardest bit really is knowing what is non-restricted, restricted and prohibited, which frankly is why forums like this exist! I still struggle with it after all these years.

If you're coming up from the US you need to get a DSP-5 export licence from the State Dept., although they were talking about scrapping it for personal effects, not sure if they did. Usually you have to be AECA registered to get one but they have a "one-time" exemption for situations like this, so you just fill in the form, send it in to them, they stamp it, send it back. Only NFA stuff can't be exported which might sound like an odd thing to want to do but short-barrel rifles and shotguns are generally legal here.

Have fun: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/

cybershooters
10-13-2015, 06:47 PM
brace yourself for our taxes. Texas has no state income tax, am I correct? Just Federal?
You'll find we not only pay higher taxes, we pay too often. I'm almost certain our taxes are taxed too. I can't speak for Alberta, but it can't be all that different from the rest of Canada as far as taxes go. (except Quebec. taxes are weird there :tounge:)

Taxes in Alberta are if anything lower than in Texas, if you're a home owner at least. The property taxes in Texas are eye-watering. Also their sales tax is higher than GST but on the other hand sales tax doesn't apply to services.

RealDeckard
12-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Just train yourself to add the word "sorry" to your vocabulary. Say it any way you prefer... Sowry, Sawry, Saurry, Sirry.. It's fine. Feel free to add an "Eh" at the end too.

"Sowry, 'eh"

Oh... In Canada, we don't have "Soda"... Its POP!

:)

Except they are never actually sorry, are busybodies and are rude as hell. The 'service industry' will send you over the bend. Too many people are 'greasy.'