PDA

View Full Version : Bison recipes

Prairie Dog
06-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Got any? Tips on how to cook?

Burgers, roasts etc.

For burgers, 100% bison or portion with ground beef?

Haywire1
06-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Cook it like beef. Since they can interbreed freely bison are basically lean wild cows. Any recipe for beef works the same as bison. The bison do have a different flavor but it is similar enough that recipies work. For burgers blemd in some bacon fat to add a bit of moisture.

Gerald
06-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Bison roast should be cooked at low heat temperature for tender texture . High heat will make it to dry and tough.

Griffin6869
06-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Once a week - Bison Ribeye's on the bbq - awesome dinner when paired with grilled prawns and fresh salad.

tigrr
06-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Burgers; really chop onions fine and add them to the burger instead of pork. It stays moist and is less fattening. I add chopped garlic too. A half teaspoon of whole coriander seed per pound for a burst of flavor. Don't over cook them or they get really chewy.
Roast; I prefer mine slow roasted for 5 to 8 hours in a 250 degree F oven. Also in the roasting pot is onions and garlic. Big roasts get some beef broth to stew in.

knuckledragger
06-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I cook it like beef, I don't cut it with anything because I LOVE how lean it is. Some of my favourites are;

Bison Tacos
Bison Meatloaf (so good)
and of course steaks. Fred Flintstone size.

Sometimes I trim off extra fat as its significantly chewier and tougher than beef fat.