PDA

View Full Version : Breakin out the bow

Steveo9mm
06-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Its summer soon, and that means.... well, yes, going to the outdoor range. But also breakin out the bow. Which I dont do enough. Ordered a new bowstring and carbon arrows. 50lb greatree recurve. im into instinctive shooting. who else is breaking out the bows this season? pictures to make this thread better will come soon. post yours if you are a robin hood :)

kennymo
06-11-2015, 11:44 AM
The Darton has been feeling pretty neglected with the new addition to the family taking up most of my spare time this past year. Hoping I have a little time for it this fall, I'd like to whack something bigger than a coyote with it one of these days. Buddy got an elk with his last year and has been rubbing my nose in it since.... I saved up my brownie points for one goose shoot and a three day rifle deer hunt, limitations should be less this year, but I've got a week long moose hunt on the go already for September - October.....

FlyingHigh
06-20-2015, 07:55 AM
I have a Bowtech Equalizer. I took it out a few weeks ago for the first time in probably 6+ years. I forgot how satisfying the thwack of an arrow hitting the bag target is. I was only shooting around 25m or so, and using a single crappy arrow. After so long I wasn't willing to risk using my good arrows until I got the feel for it again. I really should start bringing it out with me and shooting it regularly. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying ammunition.

The woman would also like to get herself a recurve as she's recently taken to archery. Anyone know if a foam Block target is suitable for recurve arrows? I have a bag but it's getting pretty worn out. I'd like to get a Block but I want a target we can both use.

kennymo
06-20-2015, 08:41 AM
The woman would also like to get herself a recurve as she's recently taken to archery. Anyone know if a foam Block target is suitable for recurve arrows? I have a bag but it's getting pretty worn out. I'd like to get a Block but I want a target we can both use.

I haven't heard of a reason why they wouldn't be suitable...I have one made of the layered foam sheets from Cabela's. A miniature version of what is at the far end of my local archery range, and those get all sorts of action from all sorts of bows, even traditionalists shooting feather fletched wood arrows...

FlyingHigh
06-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Good to know. Thanks! :)

Steveo9mm
06-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Lol i just use a big box stuffed with old blankets and rags. No way im payin $100+ for a sack with the same sh!t in it

coastal
06-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Two bales of straw thick is the perfect recurve target. And it's cheap!

Steveo9mm
06-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I havnt shot yet this season. Im waiting for a new string to come in. Im itching to fire a couple into the fence and side of the house again.

kennymo
06-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Actually, I've seen a couple targets built from strips of cardboard about 6" wide sandwiched between a couple of two by fours. They were tensioned up with a couple of threaded rods at the ends, loosen them off and replace the cardboard once it's shot to heck. They were built to give about a 36"x36" target area, with a little overhang of the 2x4's to allow the rods to be mounted on the outside edge of the target. Legs built to whatever size necessary. I'll probably attempt one once I have some more outdoor space in my life.

Steveo9mm
06-20-2015, 02:14 PM
More outdoor space... Hell im doin this in my back yard in the city. Neighbors dont care. They were archerers in their prime days too. They come out and watch sometimes. But id love to get out to more than 60 feet sometime lol. And also where i dont have to worry about using the house as a backstop so i dont accidentally take out a window down the street

kennymo
06-20-2015, 03:06 PM
^^ I could do it here, but ten yards gets boring pretty quick. Should have about a half mile of free space by the end of the summer if all works out though.

FlyingHigh
06-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Lol i just use a big box stuffed with old blankets and rags. No way im payin $100+ for a sack with the same sh!t in it

I'd like to be able to shoot target tips, broadheads, mechanical broadheads and wooden recurve arrows. A box with blankets and rags wouldn't work. A Block target isn't a $100 box of blankets and rags either. ;)

I used a burlap sack stuffed with plastic bags when I first started. It worked for target tips, kinda. But it wore out real quick. I dropped $45 on a commercial bag target that currently has probably a thousand arrows through it and it's just starting to look ragged. Can't shoot broadheads at it though. I had also spent $75 on a Block 4x4 target which was the cat's ass for all purpose use but I ended up selling it because I didn't wanna drag it with me when I moved to AB. Another smaller Block is on my list now as I get back into shooting my bow.

Gaidheal
06-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Hadn't shot in a couple years... some jackass in my area is letting his lab run loose and it abuses my boxer that is - as the law requires - tied.

After two bunny busters up its ass at 50 feet it hasn't been back. Good news is the skills didn't perish.

If it does come back, word has been dropped in the neighbourhood the next arrow nocked is a broadhead. Bow and broadheads are at the door waiting

Steveo9mm
06-23-2015, 07:37 AM
The new string came in but now ive noticed a bit of limb twist in the lower limb. Next step is to determine the cause. I use a bow stringer so that wont be the major cause. Its been unstrung all winter and broken down so.... The other factors are going to be one side of the limb is weaker or its just a natural occurance. since the bow is 3 years old. Mind you the solution is simple enough. Depending on the type of wood of the bow.