PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 25 .223 groups

lone-wolf
06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
5, 5shot groups @ 100yrds, with a 4-16x scope. Bipod up front, no rear support. Some side ways wind. I didn't let the barrel cool in between groups.
Barrel has been cut down to ~18.5"
Middle group shot first - cold bore, nickel plated winchester cases loaded with varget(don't have the weight info on hand), and 60gr vmax
Bottom two corners were shot next, this time with 55gr vmax over varget again, and an assortment of cases used - 'plinking' stuff.
Final 2 groups were the top corners, back to the 60gr vmax loads. Flyer top right was called.

I'm happy with these, although I know they can be better if I get more practice. I was going to hit up the 300yrd range but this dang cold hit me like a ton of bricks.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/random%20gun-bullet%20stuff/20150609_160939_zps9a6robuc.jpg

lone-wolf
06-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Never used this program before, but I've seen it used. Pretty cool.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/random%20gun-bullet%20stuff/TgtGfx_zpsv5vnd0pu.jpg

Rory McCanuck
06-12-2015, 07:15 PM
That's respectable shooting!
I had thought that we could now rule out the shooter as the problem with the Mini-14, but maybe the first trip out served as a warm-up?
Your 'plinking load' stuff seems to do alright!

lone-wolf
06-12-2015, 07:35 PM
That's respectable shooting!
I had thought that we could now rule out the shooter as the problem with the Mini-14, but maybe the first trip out served as a warm-up?
Your 'plinking load' stuff seems to do alright!

Thanks Rory,
Scope has been changed on the mini, but now the max power is only 4x but it should be more comfortable shooting.
I didn't expect much from the plinking stuff, had some winchester, hornady, s&b 556, ect. cases mixed up. 2 groups(nor the other 3) is hardly steadfast evidence but still nice to see.
I will take the mini back out next week(monday looks nice) with the new scope and try out the plinking stuff in it. Plus update the other thread.

My rear rest was my fist. I bet a nice rear bag from JSA would be a lot more stable...
The 60gr loads weren't worked up, they were the results from my first attempt and were good enough for hunting so I didn't experiment further, so I'm likely to improve the load too once I'm happier with technique.

Rory McCanuck
06-12-2015, 09:03 PM
My rear rest was my fist. I bet a nice rear bag from JSA would be a lot more stable...
Do you have access to a little bucket's worth of sand, an old pair of jeans, a kitchen garbage bag and a sewing machine or even a needle and thread? Takes about an hour, a bit more if you were to sew by hand I guess, and you can get 4, 5, or 6 bags, custom.
My back is out tonight, but maybe tomorrow I could take a few pics as a quick tutorial, if you want.

lone-wolf
06-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Do you have access to a little bucket's worth of sand, an old pair of jeans, a kitchen garbage bag and a sewing machine or even a needle and thread? Takes about an hour, a bit more if you were to sew by hand I guess, and you can get 4, 5, or 6 bags, custom.
My back is out tonight, but maybe tomorrow I could take a few pics as a quick tutorial, if you want.

Got access to a whole beach of sand! Don't trouble yourself for a tutorial on my behalf, as I'm sure I can wing it.

Rory McCanuck
06-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Cut pant legs to the lengths you want, and sew one end of each section.
Set the plastic bag inside the pant leg, fill with sand, spin it shut and zip-tie it. I doubled mine over.
Don't pack the plastic bag too tight, leave a bit of air in it. Otherwise it'll pack rock hard and be difficult to form.
Sew other end of leg shut, go shooting.

road kill
06-13-2015, 04:30 AM
I have used a lenght of inner tube filled with sand, the ends tied off of course. Makes good rests and can be used by the wife to get your attention when needed as well.

Rory McCanuck
06-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Huh, so simple, it's genius.