PDA

View Full Version : Every read this on the Libertarian's policy?

L33CHW33D
06-13-2015, 08:21 AM
XII. Right to Self-Protection We hold that the individual has the right to own and bear arms. Consequently we
oppose restrictions on the ownership or use of guns or any other arms. General arms restrictions deprive
the individual of his/her right to self-defense in an emergency situation while leaving the criminal fully
armed. We propose, as an alternative to general arms restriction, the imposition of severe penalties for
the criminal abuse of this right, thus placing the blame for armed crime where it properly belongs - on the
criminal.

http://www.libertarian.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Statement-Of-Policy.pdf

I did a search for Libertarian Party on the forum and didn't see much.

kennymo
06-13-2015, 08:24 AM
It' a nice sentiment, but they can pretty much say whatever they want with zero chance of forming government. It might as well be the Green Party platform.

Foxer
06-13-2015, 09:35 AM
It' a nice sentiment, but they can pretty much say whatever they want with zero chance of forming government. It might as well be the Green Party platform.

The greens actually elected someone :) The libertarians simply could not.

L33CHW33D, we DID do a rather extensive thread on why the libertarian party simply couldn't succeed in Canada as a political party attempting to form gov't, AND discussed how they COULD still have a major impact on Canadian politics if they changed their tactics a little. But honestly, they're not a real political party in any meaningful sense as things are today.

Doug_M
06-13-2015, 09:42 AM
The gun ownership part of their platform is one of only a few good parts. They are isolationists yet are also in favour of much more open immigration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

awndray
06-13-2015, 09:48 AM
I did a search for Libertarian Party on the forum and didn't see much.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?10473-Libertarian-Party

lone-wolf
06-13-2015, 10:09 AM
The gun ownership part of their platform is one of only a few good parts. They are isolationists yet are also in favour of much more open immigration.

Opening up to trade and people but not war.

Just pretend this is tim moen instead of ron paul.
http://display.therealfuckingnews.com/1/7315364fede99b02.jpg

Doug_M
06-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Lone-wolf you can't compare US foreign policy with Canadian. And just because the meme tells you he isn't an isolationist doesn't mean he isn't one.

L33CHW33D
06-13-2015, 03:18 PM
So did a bit more reading on the party... no thanks not for me. Though some ideas are nice.

kennymo
06-13-2015, 04:13 PM
So did a bit more reading on the party... no thanks not for me. Though some ideas are nice.

I came to the same conclusion after initially being impressed.

Rory McCanuck
06-13-2015, 08:12 PM
I view the Libertarian party much like the Green party.
Both are maybe great for a personal philosophy, but for leading a country, asinine.

TJSpeller
06-14-2015, 11:12 AM
I was a member... for a while. There are some very principled people there, and a lot of looney tunes. The party is completely unrealistic politically. Utterly divorced from reality.