PDA

View Full Version : SKS or CZ858

Brad
06-08-2012, 06:07 PM
I知 thinking about getting a rifle to shoot the cheap surplus ammo floating around. My choices are an SKS or CZ858. Is the CZ858 worth the extra 400$? I have shot both and prefer the CZ858 but I知 not sure I like spending the extra cash. Has anyone shot both the CZ858 and SKS to see which one is more accurate? Anyway feel free to school me in red rifles

Brad

lone-wolf
06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I had 3 SKS rifles so far, and am in the process of selling my 3rd sks(which is my second yugo) because I don't think I'll ever shoot it again once my vz58 is returned to me.
Honestly, I bought it as a nice example of a well made sks rifle to look at in the safe. Then I seen a couple $100+ knives and thought "dang, those look better and would get more use then the yugo sks, I should sell it and buy these instead"
The vz58 is much more comfortable to shoot. Feels more natural.

But my vz58 was closer to an SKS in cost.

mlehto
06-08-2012, 08:16 PM
The problem with the CZ is that you buy it, and there is so many good parts that are available for it, so in the end you end up spending alot more than the sks.

Personally a nice laminate sks as is is the way to go if you just want to put rounds down range, and have a good time.

The CZ has the cool factor for sure though.

Strewth
06-08-2012, 09:17 PM
People always say " That's $400 in ammo you could buy!" I kinda look at it the opposite way...how long would it take me to burn through $400 in ammo? Not a long time; I feel the price difference is irrelevant when the ongoing costs are honestly factored in...having said that, I totally agree with mlehto, it pains me to not buy $1000 worth of goodies for my 858, but I told myself I was keeping it stock.

Except for the NEA handguard upper for a Bushnell TRS-25. And of course a FAB grip. Some of the compensators look like they actually work too, that's a good thing...extended controls for ease of use just makes ergonomic sense...

Laminate SKS still stock of course, gotta keep it simple and reliable...but the Timberline stock in pepper lam is mighty temping...so are the tech sights...maybe when Marstar gets in the Yugos then I could play with this one a bit and keep the Yugo stock...

Am I helping?

jwirecom109
06-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I've owned both and both have their high and low points.

I have had 2 sks's a Russian and a Chinese made, and the standard CZ 858 non restricted.

I loved my cz 858, i sold it after 3 years of ownership to a buddy at work that was getting into shooting, I miss it, but he has alot more fun with it then i recent have had (going away from Red rifles to blacks)

My suggestion is if you can afford both do it, they shoot the same round so its a double whammy

Diesel
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Both are great rifles, but I prefer the VZ58.

Chris Shaw
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
sks all the way

Wmd
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Have both bought the sks first then the cz. Since I got my cz the sks hasnt left the house

ThatGuy
06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
The 58/858 is a superb fighting rifle. The Czechs were the only Soviet satelite that wasn't forced to adopt the AK platform due to the superiority of the design, which I think is really saying something about it.

But the SKS is cheap. If you just want to punch holes and have a great time, the SKS will absolutely do it for you (I know mine does).

If you ever needed a rifle to fight with though, the 58/858 platform is probably one of the best in the world, and certainly the best non-restricted option in Canada.

Brad
06-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the in put guys. What kind of groups do you get with the CZ 858 vs the SKS?

ThatGuy
06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Neither are precision rifles (obviously;)). 2-3 MOA is probably standard with either. Poorer quality SKSs will be worse. On its best day (ie: MY best day), my CZ will do 1 MOA.

Until the Angels Fall
06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
If your running ammo better the surplus...say MFS you will see quite a bit better accuracy out of both guns.

alphasixtwo
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a CZ 858 and my budy has a SKS. Both we get about 2 MOA on average. On a good day we can put close to 1 MOA. I personaly prefer my CZ and he prefers it too! My CZ is not stock. I went and got the entire Fab Defence kit and put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it, with a magpul forgrip. In the end I spent about 1100 on my rifle and I love it. It is easy to hadle, light and accurate enough for a SHTF scenario. Ammo is cheap even the non surplus if you shoot FMJ. I recomend shooting non-corrosive. We started with corrosive, then switched and noticed a huge difference in performance and cleaning. If you can buy bulk you can get a good price on non-corrosive. The gun shop in my town sells 500 MFS rounds for $160. So pennies above the surplus stuff.

Brad
06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I ordered my SKS yesterday, I'm going to split a crate of ammo with my brother :) The fun will begin shortly

celtic1123
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
It really all depends on what you want to do with it. But definitely agree that if you have the $ go with both. Have one buddy that did up his SKS to look like a dragunov. But I do prefer the 858, much nicer to do the drills I like to run.

bjs7293
08-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Everybody has their own opinions. My opinion is that the CZ/VZ platform is not enough rifle for the money you are spending. I purchased a early 858 and sold it unfired, it also had the gremlin that was reported to me from the new owner. It is the only non restricted rifle that resembles the AK that is why people like it but the novelty wears off.

Garetsu
08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm leaning towards a VZ-58 in .223 whenever I get around to it, mostly because all the other .223 semi-automatics (AR-platforms) are around double the price, from what I've seen.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, haha)

Blackmore
08-11-2012, 10:49 AM
They're both great guns
but I find the vz58 a little more fun to shoot
and you can go tacticool or wood furniture

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/iprice78/ce053aab.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/iprice78/c3a951f5.jpg

harbl_the_cat
08-11-2012, 11:19 AM
The sks is slightly more mechanically complex than he 858 and thus is less easier to clean and practicing and gearing up to do tactical shooting with a detachable mag, I prefer the AR over the 858.

As far as accuracy goes, both guns more are less to be able to hit a man in the chest up to 200 y with minimal training. That should be your expectation with either gun.

Blackmore
08-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I prefer the AR over the 858 too,
if we could take the AR out in the bush we'd have a winner
...but we are left looking for alternatives

52TulaSKS
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
I have an SKS, super fun to shoot, but my next purchase will be an 858. I plan on tacticooling both guns.

Iron Curtain
08-11-2012, 01:39 PM
most begginers who wants to start with something inexpensive will start with a SKS and then late move up to VZ58 bcos the two rifles shares the same ammo .

I知 thinking about getting a rifle to shoot the cheap surplus ammo floating around. My choices are an SKS or CZ858. Is the CZ858 worth the extra 400$? I have shot both and prefer the CZ858 but I知 not sure I like spending the extra cash. Has anyone shot both the CZ858 and SKS to see which one is more accurate? Anyway feel free to school me in red rifles

Brad

31-Bravo
08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
My first centerfire rifle was an SKS. Then one day I impulse purchased a non restricted 858 and the SKS collected dust in the safe.
Since then I've sold the SKS to buy more accessories for my CZ.

I like the CZ-858 better for the following reasons:
Detachable box magazines (despite only 5 rounds)
Easier to assemble/dissasemble, less moving parts
Lighter weight (although the heavier weight of the SKS gives it less recoil)
More customizable if that's what you're into

lone-wolf
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
My first centerfire rifle was an SKS. Then one day I impulse purchased a non restricted 858 and the SKS collected dust in the safe.
Since then I've sold the SKS to buy more accessories for my CZ.

I like the CZ-858 better for the following reasons:
Detachable box magazines (despite only 5 rounds)
Easier to assemble/dissasemble, less moving parts
Lighter weight (although the heavier weight of the SKS gives it less recoil)
More customizable if that's what you're into

That's how I feel as well. Plus I find it more comfortable.

westislandrifle
08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
CZ 858

Satain
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
most begginers who wants to start with something inexpensive will start with a SKS and then late move up to VZ58 bcos the two rifles shares the same ammo .
So what the hell happened to you then :p
LoL!!!
SkS's are great fun but if you like to gun and run then it's the 858 that get's the date ;)

Stephen
08-18-2012, 05:16 PM
An SKS is something you burry in the back yard. I bought an 858 and I am glad that I did. I handled my friend's sks and it felt like a 2x4 against my shoulder.