PDA

View Full Version : Having a little SKS trouble

Mobusten
06-22-2015, 11:11 PM
So I've got this nice little 1954 Izhevsk SKS, I've had it for a few months now, but just got around to taking it out last Thursday or so. I only ran about 40 rounds through it as I had some other guns I was shooting as well. There were no problems, all shots were on target at 100m, no jams. basically what you'd expect with an SKS.

That is until now. I was just playing around with it, racked the bolt carrier and dry fired it a few times. All of a sudden the bolt became very difficult to cycle, right around the point where it would trigger the magazine's bolt catch. I took it a part and snooped around and found this little bugger of a pin sticking up like a stubborn baby middle finger.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2rr2tls.jpg

I used a punch to tap it out just a millimeter or two, tapped it back down into alignment and then punched it back in. Racked and dry fired about 10 more times and its back out again!

Have any of you fine folks had this happen? Any ideas on how I can make it stop? New retaining pin? New bolt? Any tricks that don't involve buying new parts? I'm not sure if it's the racking of the bolt, or possibly the dry firing, but neither of those should cause the bolt carrier to seize up.

I'm sure it would still cycle from the force of firing it, but I don't feel like inflicting more damage on the rifle than I need to.

Haywire1
06-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Same thing happened to mine when I dry fired it. I stopped dry firing the problem went away. They really dont like being dry fired with the floating pin design. Could be something else but my suggestion would be to set it, and run a bunch of ammo through it. If it works, then dont dry fire anymore.

Mobusten
06-22-2015, 11:31 PM
I hope it's that simple. Thanks Haywire.

Haywire1
06-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Dry firing puts more of a shock on the bolt and the firing pin since there is nothing to "cushion" the pin when the hammer drops. Imparts a pretty good shock load to a tiny part. That why the make snap caps. Some firearms can be dry fired, most of them, its a bad idea. Hope it works for ya.

kennymo
06-23-2015, 05:44 AM
If you must get some non ammo trigger time, grab a few snap caps. I avoid dry firing all of my older firearms, don't really like it in general after seeing a couple guys snap firing pins and a few .22's with damaged chambers.

Mobusten
06-23-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll take her out again hopefully within the week and see if it happens with regular firing. I guess I'll have to change my ways and not dry fire so much.

bp2626
06-23-2015, 06:03 PM
I'll take her out again hopefully within the week and see if it happens with regular firing. I guess I'll have to change my ways and not dry fire so much.

Order yourself a bolt from Lever to use for dry fire practice.

Swampdonkey
06-23-2015, 07:27 PM
+1 for the snap cap advice.

Judicious application of loctite might help.

Strewth
06-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Glorious rifle of proletariat has no issues! To suggest problems earns one way trip to gulag!

Although... if you're talking about your firing pin retainer being loose, you can buy a new one (Hical up top sells them, he's quick to ship), or peen yours for a snug fit. Pic stolen shamelessly from SKSboards.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/beachbum762/PICT0131.jpg?t=1297196100
Even with live ammo this can continue to be a problem, unfortunately. It's a wear issue, nothing wrong with the design.

3MTA3
06-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Possibly firing pin reainer/ firing pin mismatch? The firing pin retainer shouldn't rotate-I have heard of guys peening the pin to improve the fit. Does the firing pin rattle when you shake the bolt?

I see Strewth was thinking the same thing and beat me to it.

Mobusten
06-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Glorious rifle of proletariat has no issues! To suggest problems earns one way trip to gulag!

Although... if you're talking about your firing pin retainer being loose, you can buy a new one (Hical up top sells them, he's quick to ship), or peen yours for a snug fit. Pic stolen shamelessly from SKSboards.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/beachbum762/PICT0131.jpg?t=1297196100
Even with live ammo this can continue to be a problem, unfortunately. It's a wear issue, nothing wrong with the design.

I like the enthusiasm, I perused hical's wares but I didn't see those pins. I'll have to look again.

Mobusten
06-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Possibly firing pin reainer/ firing pin mismatch? The firing pin retainer shouldn't rotate-I have heard of guys peening the pin to improve the fit. Does the firing pin rattle when you shake the bolt?

I see Strewth was thinking the same thing and beat me to it.

No the firing pin doesn't rattle I don't think. I can push it back and forth but it's not loose enough to move freely. And I'll be honest I don't know what it means to peen something... Just flatten it a little bit?

Strewth
06-23-2015, 11:57 PM
No the firing pin doesn't rattle I don't think. I can push it back and forth but it's not loose enough to move freely. And I'll be honest I don't know what it means to peen something... Just flatten it a little bit?

Got it in one:). Just secure it (vice? Pliers held with third hand?) and smack it with a center punch until you've created a small divot for the bolt body to bite into...no need to go crazy, a small deformity in the curve is sufficient; easy enough to test fit as you go.
Humph, my Google-fu is faling me on a picture of a peened pin...you're just looking to put a small dimple in the metal, with a hair of a raised edge, if that makes sense. I've talked to people that have had success just roughing it up a little... say, with a pair of pliers.

I don't see the retaining pin on hical's site either, although I'm sure if you give Dave a call he's got one kicking around.