PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke Boat motor repair - Calgary

jwirecom109
06-23-2015, 06:46 AM
If I was in Edmonton I'd ask the all mighty Blacksmithden,

But being that I'm in Calgary, I'm looking for someone that's able to fix a 2 stroke boat motor.

9 Hp, 2 stroke, issue is that it idles pretty high when engaged and doesn't idle lower unless you kill it.

If anyone is in Calgary or area, and can help me out Let me know.

jwirecom109
06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
anybody?

Mil Specs
06-23-2015, 08:01 PM
What type of engine is it ? there should be an idle adjust screw on the carb . It is probably a very simple fix . Some engines like the Lehr propane engines have a very high idle but a regular gas 2 stroke should be easy .

jwirecom109
06-23-2015, 08:03 PM
its a gas honda about 40 years old, great shape but doesn't idle down

short1
06-23-2015, 08:06 PM
2-stroke probably ? likely the carb idle passages are gummed up. Not too hard a fix with a soak in carb cleaner (after dissasembly !) and blowing out with compressed air.

Mil Specs
06-23-2015, 08:26 PM
When you take of the lid and turn the throttle there will be an arm that moves, at the back of the arm there should be a screw with a spring that stops it from moving too far . This is your throttle stop/ idle adjust . A quarter to half a turn should speed up and slow down your idle depending on which way you go . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Honu/P1030165.jpg that should be what you are looking for . My experience is mainly with monkey wrenching and haywiring old Johnson 2 strokes but your engine should be pretty similar /except it is more than likely a four stroke . I think that is all Honda ever made .Cheers .

jwirecom109
06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
k I'll take a look thanks guys.

stevesummit
06-24-2015, 05:37 AM
k I'll take a look thanks guys.

Here we go , I can see your wife loading the kids up and taking you to the hospital bleeding from something ! Better just take it in !

Mil Specs
06-24-2015, 09:41 AM
LOL try the idle screw first . If you rip apart the carb make sure you can still get the gaskets or a carb kit for your engine . I would bet if you give that screw a little turn you will be pretty happy . To get the parts make sure you have the serial number and the make and model .

blacksmithden
06-24-2015, 10:48 AM
I hate talking about carbs on the net for a crap ton of reasons.

My simple question is this. Did it start idling high on its own, or did somebody monkey with it?

If it started doing it on its own, how did it change on its own ? The idle screw didnt turn itself in to make it idle higher...its as simple as that. The most likely cause is a low speed jet/port thats plugging up a bit. Now its running a bit lean. Thats ONE possibility. For every one guy who can actually fix/set up carbs, there are 500 more in back yards who think they can and 5000 more on the internet who say they can ;)

Camo tung
06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
I hate talking about carbs on the net for a crap ton of reasons.

My simple question is this. Did it start idling high on its own, or did somebody monkey with it?

If it started doing it on its own, how did it change on its own ? The idle screw didnt turn itself in to make it idle higher...its as simple as that. The most likely cause is a low speed jet/port thats plugging up a bit. Now its running a bit lean. Thats ONE possibility. For every one guy who can actually fix/set up carbs, there are 500 more in back yards who think they can and 5000 more on the internet who say they can ;)

If there's no history between you and this motor you're starting out at a disadvantage. If it has been used before by you with no problems previously then keep your troubleshooting simple. As Den suggests there can only be a few logical reasons for the change in performance (assuming you don't have a future technician in your household disguised as a curious 8 year old).

kennymo
06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
If there's no history between you and this motor you're starting out at a disadvantage. If it has been used before by you with no problems previously then keep your troubleshooting simple. As Den suggests there can only be a few logical reasons for the change in performance (assuming you don't have a future technician in your household disguised as a curious 8 year old).

Or a curious four year old. My brother in law found himself locked out of the house when my nephew figured out how a screwdriver worked and removed both exterior doorknobs, followed shortly by all the hardware on the kitchen cabinets while his dad was trying to get back inside. Derail over...

Swampdonkey
06-25-2015, 09:56 PM
My Yamaha actually had an idle screw that would unscrew slowly on its own. Loctite fixed that one.

Kenwp
06-26-2015, 02:22 PM
It's not by any chance a 4 stroke and you mixed oil with the gas and gummed it up. I had a 2 stoke air cooled that for ever needed adjusting.

jwirecom109
07-04-2015, 07:16 PM
All fixed, combo of carb cleaning and idle screw

jwirecom109
07-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks all