PDA

View Full Version : Nocks - Talk to Me

Candychikita
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
i have these great nocks - they match my fletches perfectly. the thing that sucks about them is that i can't see them when shooting paper (they're white on white paper targets) there's nothing wrong with my vision, i got it checked.

so, i took my arrows in and got some green nocks. they're a bit snug on my string, and when i shoot, the nock stays with my bow. great.

questions - do you glue your nocks on? if so, with what? do i somehow have the wrong sized nock if it stays on my string? what if i want to change my nocks again?

damn things.

jwirecom109
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey CC have you thought about the flashing nocks you can get?

and on my Xbow I don't glue my nocks onto my bolt, i just make sure they are tight.

Candychikita
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey CC have you thought about the flashing nocks you can get?

that was my first choice - the lumenocks/nockturnals - but my bow weight is set too low to activate them :( :( i want to be able to shoot all day. at one point i might increase the weight, but not at this time, especially now that i'm finally setting my sights properly.

jwirecom109
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
They have some that also are always on, instead of ones that flash when hit

JustBen
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
All my nocks (and threaded inserts) are glued. I'm not sure with what - I have my arrows made up at the local bow shop. Speaking with the guy behind the counter - proper indexing of the nocks in relation to the fletching is important for shot to shot repeatability. I haven't shot my bow since the fall, but I'm comfortable enough to nail a loonie at 25 yards (most of the time :D)

Forbes/Hutton
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I've used sandpaper to widen nocks that are too tight to the serving. A little at a time, you still want them to grip, but not hold.

Candychikita
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
damn, i wish you posted this earlier - of course that's a great idea, and i have no time to do this before i head out tonight. perhaps next time.

FlyingHigh
04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
My nocks are all glued in with fletching glue. that stuff is stickier than super glue. lol. I've been considering a set of Llumenoks for hunting. I wouldn't bother for target shooting though.

EvilDezel
04-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Nocks should be able to rotate freely inside of the arrow while it is on the serving.

Lumenoks are great just not cheap.

FlyingHigh
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
you know what? i screwed up in my post. lol. for some reason I was thinking of the inserts i screw my tips into as my nocks.. D'oh! those are glued in. My nocks are in from the factory and rotate freely like EvilDezel mentioned.

Zahkwinder
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Y'all must me shootin' them fancy wheely bows... the last batch of wood arrows I made up all had self-nocks, tied-down feathers, and I'm still looking for some ol' fashion bodkin iron points. FlyingHigh keeps ragging on me to upgrade me horse and wagon, but I can't see these combustion engines catching on...

FlyingHigh
04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
lol. it's true...

Candychikita
04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Y'all must me shootin' them fancy wheely bows...

ya, i've got one of those fancy wheely bows. hate the look of them, but gosh darnitt, i like the accuracy. picked a wheely bow that didn't look so terribly spider-ific.

superbrad
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
My nocks are all glued.... I use 5 minute epoxy.....

jack of all trades
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
as said earlier, the nocks should be able to be turned, or "tuned", in the shafts. sometimes you have to turn them a bit to get the best flight. some shafts have a weaker spine on one side and can rub the riser or cables as it passes, with tunable nocks, (not glued in/on) you can adjust to make better clearance of your cables and riser. vain/feather orientation only really matter with what rest you are useing. if you have a drop away or wisker biscuit then you can have the "off" vain any way you like. as far as staying on the string when you shoot, forbes said it, sandpaper them till they just sit on there good and are somewhat easy to pull off the string without pulling from the shaft. check out some tips from 3rivers archery, most the tips are for trad shooting/gear but apply to "modern" equipment as well. good luck and shoot straight.

Qhergt
04-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Carefull with lighted knocks..... if you use an arrow with a lighted knock it disqualifies you from Pope and Young record book

Candychikita
04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Carefull with lighted knocks..... if you use an arrow with a lighted knock it disqualifies you from Pope and Young record book

ya, and apparently it makes all the target shooting guys pissy because they end up shooting at your big flashing nock and not at their own target :P

JustBen
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I did not know this. You learn something new everyday!

superbrad
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
as said earlier, the nocks should be able to be turned, or "tuned", in the shafts. sometimes you have to turn them a bit to get the best flight. some shafts have a weaker spine on one side and can rub the riser or cables as it passes, with tunable nocks, (not glued in/on) you can adjust to make better clearance of your cables and riser. vain/feather orientation only really matter with what rest you are useing. if you have a drop away or wisker biscuit then you can have the "off" vain any way you like. as far as staying on the string when you shoot, forbes said it, sandpaper them till they just sit on there good and are somewhat easy to pull off the string without pulling from the shaft. check out some tips from 3rivers archery, most the tips are for trad shooting/gear but apply to "modern" equipment as well. good luck and shoot straight.

Yes.... One way around this is to "Spine align" your shafts... similar to what they do to golf club shafts to get the most consistant flex..... If you do a spine alignment you will want to glue your knocks on so, once rotated to the correct position, they stay that way....

loki
04-17-2012, 11:50 PM
questions - do you glue your nocks on? if so, with what? do i somehow have the wrong sized nock if it stays on my string? what if i want to change my nocks again?

For compound no I do not, I like to be able to tune and replace when inevitably one gets broken. Also nock recovery when you break an arrow is a good thing, pretty soon you'll have a tupperware container of bits.

For recurve yes they're glued on.

As I assume you're shooting compound tight nocks that can still turn under regular hand pressure are the way I go, I don't have the problem of them getting left on the string so far (been shooting 6 years now).

BrotherRockeye
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm old school...I still shoot fingers, and build my own arrows.
My nocks are glued with fletch tight. The are aligned "almost" perpendicular to the cock vane on my arrows for perfect clearance with the riser and rest. I'm partial to bright green.
If a nock breaks I whittle it off and glue a new one on. Hardly ever happens thought.
If you are breaking nocks target shooting,use more than one target ;)