PDA

View Full Version : Favourite beer?

Call-sign_ENIGMA
06-30-2015, 02:33 AM
Since I sell beer for a living, I'm just wondering what's your go to brew?

Call-sign_ENIGMA
06-30-2015, 02:38 AM
My top five are:

1. Little Scrapper IPA (Half Pints Brewery)
2. Baltika #7
3. Czechvar
4. Shocktop Raspberry Ale
5. Becks (but only in the big bottles)

If I have to drink domestic, I'll go with "Lablue" as my French Canadian friend would say.

awndray
06-30-2015, 06:41 AM
It's hard to pick a favorite. I like trying different beers. We have a lot of micro breweries around here. I've had far too many different ones to count.

My usual beers are Beau's Lug Tread, MGD and Sleeman Draught. Lately I've also been having Coors Banquet and Heineken. When I want a cheap beer, I grab a Pabst Blue Ribbon or an Old Style Pilsner.

If I could get some in Canada, I would buy Salva Vida, Port Royal and Imperial from Honduras. I also like San Miguel from the Philippines.

lone-wolf
06-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Moosehead lager or Keystone lager

Apparently I have cheap tastes.

coastal
06-30-2015, 07:39 AM
This is my favorite most of the time

http://www.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/products/487249.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Edenchef
06-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Mine always seems to be the one in front of me at any given time. I do know what I don't like, products from Labatts or Molsons.

Prairie Dog
06-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Apparently I have cheap tastes.

You and me both, MGD here. ....and the occasional Saskatchewan Pilsner.

Pizzed
06-30-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm not picky. Whatever is dam cold and within reach!

zulu
06-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Big rock traditional

wolver
06-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Blue in the East, Old Style in the West, Heineken if someone else is buying.

Spectre
06-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Very hard to pick just one. We have been playing the micro and nano brew game quite a bit of late. As well, the Untappd app has been giving my liver a good(?) work out, and is worth a look at. The DR has recommended that I lay off for a bit :(

Rory McCanuck
06-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Homegrown stout, or brown ale, or red ale, or lager, or ...
Since I've started brewing my own, beer is very different for me now.
I was never a big fan, but I had a couple Bud Lights the other day.
Tasted like watery beer flavoured water. I was a bit disgusted.

JustBen
06-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Drinking cracked canoe this summer.

FlyingHigh
06-30-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm a huge Innis and Gunn fan. Their Lager is one of my favourites. Lagers are my favourite type of beer, hands down.

I also like a Stella Artois when it's frig off hot outside or with a meal. I can't drink a heavy beer in the heat or during a meal. I'll also admit to a Coors Light or a Kokanee Gold when I'm feeling like a cheap ass. LOL

kennymo
07-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Bit of a beer whore here. I like to sample, though I avoid light beer and most lagers like the plague... I do always find myself falling back on Club beer though, a Manitoba classic!

lone-wolf
07-01-2015, 06:39 AM

Alright, I forgot about this one, also one of my go to.
And now I really wish I had one.

Rory McCanuck
07-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Bit of a beer whore here. I like to sample, though I avoid light beer and most lagers like the plague... I do always find myself falling back on Club beer though, a Manitoba classic!
The only beer that tells you its name, "ClubClubClubClub."

DeisEcks
07-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Waterloo grapefruit raidler- summer hot beer
Muskoka cream ale - chillaxing beer
Whitewater brewerys farmers daughter - I plan to have a few
Stream whistle/ cracked canoe/ mill street - I'm drinking till the sun is up

I like hoopy flavorful beers to drink and enjoy, but but when its game time a crisp clean beer will allow you to drink all day, with less consequences the next day. If you want to get happy quick, wheat beers are sweet and go down like water.

Happy Canada's day! Cheer's yal'

greywolf67nt
07-01-2015, 02:34 PM
At home I don't drink beer as it does not travel well and I'm a bit of a snob and we can't get draught up here.
When I escape to the south there is a pub on Whyte Ave in Edmonton where they know how to properly pour a Guiness. That stuff is the nectar of the gods!!

TheCenturion
07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Sleeman 20th Anniversary. Seeing as how I can't get it anymore, Sleeman Honey Brown.

762shooter
07-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Okanagan Springs Pale Ale, Granville Island Pale Ale, Ricards Red, Dos Exis Ambre. I also like to try dark flavourful beer/ale at craft breweries.

ROADGLIDE45
07-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Innis and Gunn fan too, Becks, Kieths/Ricards red, I like a lot of Brew pub beer. Not into fruity beers or diet beer.
Tried a beer in Saskatoon last year brewed locally, can't remember the name, Copper Something,
Might be time for a roadtrip. lol

Rory McCanuck
07-02-2015, 08:41 AM
My neighbour let me try a beer that was really nice.
Damned if I can remember the name, but it was raspberry flavoured.
Not overpowering or sicky sweet, it was quite tasty.
I could see sitting in the heat and downing quite a few of them.

BrotherRockeye
07-02-2015, 12:16 PM
PIL

after that, anything that hasn't been previously consumed...

no BUD or BLUE though unless I'm already torqued :)

TheHydrant
07-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I've been a Molson Dry fan since I was about fifte....uh...of legal drinking age.
It's still my "go to" beer 25 years later. Like others have posted though, as long as it's cold I'll not refuse any beer. (although I wince at Molson Ex)
Oh, and my neighbor, who is a big fan of microbreweries, keeps bringing home this weird organic crap. Apricot beer isn't remotely as good as he would lead you to believe.......and it even sounds awful.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
07-02-2015, 04:43 PM
My neighbour let me try a beer that was really nice.
Damned if I can remember the name, but it was raspberry flavoured.
Not overpowering or sicky sweet, it was quite tasty.
I could see sitting in the heat and downing quite a few of them.

The only raspberry beers that come to mind are Amsterdam Brewery's Framboise, Shocktop's Raspberry Ale, and Granville Island's False Creek Raspberry Ale.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
07-02-2015, 04:47 PM

Drinking Cracked Canoe is like having sex in a canoe... It's *edit* near water.

Steveo9mm
07-02-2015, 05:31 PM
best beer = bubbley, cold, strong and free. :canada:

looch
07-10-2015, 07:40 AM
I brew my own but I'd never look a gift-beer in the mouth. When I'm forced to buy for myself, I try to get as much bang for my buck as possible. In other words, I'm cheap but not without standards. Both McAuslin and Sleeman products fit the bill.

Soakers
07-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Kokanee, or anythings that's free :Beer time:

Scotlas
07-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Zywiec and Zubr for a couple of good Polish beers.
Steinlager Pure, Steam Whistle, Kokanee, and Pil. If my wife brings home froo froo beer, I'll have an Alley Kat Aprikat.
I never really complain about the brand, just the temperature.

Mpsmyth6
07-10-2015, 02:57 PM
My favourite beer is free beer, my second is cold. I really enjoy Innis & Gunn, and seem to stick with sleeman original as my standby. I'll try anything and with a wife working at the LCBO I try my fair share of different beers.

Petamocto
07-10-2015, 06:27 PM
I take a lot of flak for this and I'm always the odd man out, but I can't stand beer.

I drink liquor and wine, but despite my dozens of attempts to acquire a taste for beer in the last 20 years, I just can't do it and it always tastes bad.

Probably a good thing, since I already have enough vices.

TheCenturion
07-11-2015, 08:19 AM
As always, there's an XKCD for this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/beer.png

Curt
07-13-2015, 06:21 PM
i usually buy alpine lager but ill drink anything wet.

Stephen
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM
I take a lot of flak for this and I'm always the odd man out, but I can't stand beer.

I drink liquor and wine, but despite my dozens of attempts to acquire a taste for beer in the last 20 years, I just can't do it and it always tastes bad.

Probably a good thing, since I already have enough vices.

That's because other people are scared of real men :evil1:. I keep on trying to find a beer that I like but I have decided I am going to stop wasting my money and stick to hard liquor.

kennymo
07-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Hard liquor has started to give me terrible heartburn and stomach pains the last few years. I'm starting to think it's more the mix than anything since I seem to have no trouble downing a few glasses of scotch or premium tequila neat. But that's hardly relaxing drinking on a hot day....I hate adding ice, makes Scotch bitter I find...

So thank god for beer. I actually found a light beer I don't mind, Fort Garry Light. Reasonably tasty. Farmery makes a good hoppy local lager as well.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
07-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Hard liquor has started to give me terrible heartburn and stomach pains the last few years. I'm starting to think it's more the mix than anything since I seem to have no trouble downing a few glasses of scotch or premium tequila neat. But that's hardly relaxing drinking on a hot day....I hate adding ice, makes Scotch bitter I find...

So thank god for beer. I actually found a light beer I don't mind, Fort Garry Light. Reasonably tasty. Farmery makes a good hoppy local lager as well.

My coworker told me the other day that Farmery grows the ingredients near Neepawa but ships it to the states to be made. I lost a bit of respect for them on that decision.

Rory McCanuck
07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I saw the big 'Farmery' inflatable beer can on the side of the highway when I went to the Neepawa gun show, and thought I should drop in to see the operation. Maybe I'll go check them out sooner rather than later.

Gunny_Guns
07-21-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm a huge Innis and Gunn fan. Their Lager is one of my favourites. Lagers are my favourite type of beer, hands down.

I also like a Stella Artois when it's frig off hot outside or with a meal. I can't drink a heavy beer in the heat or during a meal. I'll also admit to a Coors Light or a Kokanee Gold when I'm feeling like a cheap ass. LOL

Very close to mine as well change out the Innis and Gunn Lager to a Spiced Rum or Original, the Stella to a Corona with a lime and Coors light with Coors Banquet

and if I remember correctly you are a big scotch fan as well!

but I also like:
Sleemans Honey Brown
Lots of Rock Island Brewery beers
Really any Canadian beer... As Canadian as that may sound.

but despise keith's...

Rory McCanuck
07-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Well, two batches of homegrown came due.
Munton's Premium Lager and American Light.
I figured I'd make some hot weather beer, and both of these just turned out beautifully.
The American light is very light and crisp, would be a great fence building beer.
The Lager I was pretty heavy-handed with the sugar, I think it might be safest to drink it sitting down ;D
These might be the nicest beers I've made.

looch
07-22-2015, 09:56 AM
I just kegged 2 Sunday night - an IPA and an American Wheat.

lone-wolf
07-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I always think that sleeman's honey brown, would be a good beer to create a recipe with

Rory McCanuck
07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
I really like getting the variety packs of various beers.
I remember that all of them in the Sleeman's pack were quite nice.

looch
07-22-2015, 11:43 AM
I used to enjoy their Steam beer but haven't seen it around in a bit. Fairly simple to duplicate at home - a straightforward pale grain bill but ferment with a lager yeast that can handle 62-68 degrees F.

arancio
07-22-2015, 12:11 PM
The temperature difference between the primary phase and the lager phase should be roughly 10F. Nominal lagering times are 3 - 4 weeks at 45F, 5 - 6 weeks at 40F, or 7 - 8 weeks at 35F. Stronger beers need to be lagered longer.

Rory McCanuck
07-22-2015, 07:07 PM
This latest batch of Lager spent 9 days at 70 then was bottled and spent another 5 days at 70.
I know 'lager' is supposed to be done cold, but it isn't needed for the kit beers.
Maybe I'll try it at colder temperatures to see if it's any different, but this is pretty good as it is.
Of course, I had one after coming inside to decide what to have for supper, then another one while cooking supper, and another with supper, so I'm not really feeling much pain.
Almost at the 'I love you, man' stage ;D

Trouble
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Backhand of God from Crannog Ales http://www.crannogales.com/site/beers.php

Twiggy
08-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Used to be Rickard's Red, but since it's about $0.39 cheaper - I go with Busch.

Neil Burke
08-03-2015, 07:36 AM
I like most beers that aren't listed as 'Domestic' (So molson, labatt etc are out.) Fruit should also stay out of my beer. Too much hops is a turn off, but I'll still try it. Currently the beer I have my eye out for is Brew Dog's This Is Lager.

reel55
08-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Howe Sound Devils elbow IPA - nice head when you pour
I got told - do not buy a beer that has traveled more than 60 miles , as it looses it original taste

Stephen
08-15-2015, 08:18 PM
OK I lied. I do like some beer! I tried Sleeman draught and honey brown. I really like both of them, but like draught the most.

chadeech
08-15-2015, 08:55 PM
If it is not Bud it is just Beer.....nuff said

FlyingHigh
08-15-2015, 10:06 PM
If it is not Bud it is just Beer.....nuff said

Bud isn't beer my friend. It's water.

Rory McCanuck
08-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Hey, don't insult water like that.
Fish live there, you know.

BuckingFastard
08-15-2015, 11:29 PM
I haven't had it for a while but the best beers I've had came out of the Lewis clark brewery, miners gold (hefeweizen) was by far the best beer I've had in my life, and I've had a lot of beer. There other offerings I enjoyed was tumbleweed (IPA), Yellowstone beer (golden ale). Those offerings can't be found local so I usually go with Stella or Hoegaarden. There's a micro brewery in invemerre I stop at when I'm in that neck of the woods called arrowhead that has fantastic offerings, plus there's nothing that makes me at home then drinking beer out of a gallon jug.

livewire0129
08-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Guinness

TheHydrant
08-18-2015, 03:46 PM
just tried Pistonhead for the first time yesterday. A bit light, but I really enjoyed it. Finished a 6 pack before I knew it

DanN
08-28-2015, 09:39 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/76c248e1c6ff5a539603c61b94cc2d49.jpg

Barley Station Blonde Ale

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Rory McCanuck
08-28-2015, 09:49 PM
That's a fine looking beer right there!
I have an 'American Light' in the works right now. I've made it before and it was quite nice. About like a Bud Light, but with some taste, if that makes any sense. Well this batch has been tweaked a bit, instead of 4.5-5%, I think it'll be closer to 6-6.5%. I might have to make up warning labels.

Swampdonkey
08-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Bone Beer http://bonebeer.com/

Partnered with the BCWF, the bottom of each flat is a target! Plus the 24 other targets when I finish the flat.

Tastes like beer, more sour and orange than most, made at a generic industrial park just north of Kelowna, they denied me a tour when I finally found the place (no signs and windows are covered).

Owners are hunters and videographers.

DanN
08-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Also, this:

Backhand of God from Crannog Ales http://www.crannogales.com/site/beers.php

Rory McCanuck
09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/estate-brewery-step-closer-to-reality-324039931.html

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/7088265.jpg

CANADA'S first estate brewery is one giant step closer to producing its first pint.

Brothers Chris and Lawrence Warwaruk, co-owners of Farmery Estate Brewery, have bought a 15,000-square-foot building in Neepawa -- it's an old farm implements dealership -- where they plan to not only make their Farmery beer and put it in bottles and cans, but also sell it through an adjoining restaurant or taproom.

They will get possession in a couple of weeks, their new brewing equipment should be delivered in a few months and they hope to be fully operational in April.

"Now we have a focal point," said Chris Warwaruk. "We need to decide what's going to go in first, the brew house, the taproom, the tasting lounge or the gift store. By the spring, we'll be the complete package."

The entire project is expected to cost slightly more than $3 million.

The building's site was strategic because it's only a few kilometres away from their farm, where they grow their own barley and hops. This year, they have 130 acres of barley in production and 20 acres of hops.

"As we get more established, we'll be processing hops for other breweries and home brewers," said Lawrence Warwaruk.

An estate brewery is defined as a facility that makes beer adjacent to where the inputs are grown.

They say the summer of 2015 has been "by far" the best summer since they launched their beer in the market three years ago. Three months ago, they started selling Farmery in Alberta, giving them a presence in all three Prairie provinces.

The Warwaruks are using their crops for more than just beer, too. They recently launched packages of Farmery Beer Bread, which can be made with its own beer, of course, and Farmery Flapjacks mix. They are available in 15 locations in Winnipeg. They also hope to add a Christmas cake and fish-fry batter in the not-too-distant future.

The Warwaruks, who own Luxalune Gastropub on Osborne Street, have been increasing the amount of home-grown ingredients in Farmery over the past couple of years while contracting the brewing process out of province.

They received some national attention 18 months ago when they appeared on the Dragons' Den television show and struck a deal to work with both Arlene Dickinson and David Chilton. Due to timing considerations, they didn't end up working with the pair.

Instead, they are financing the project themselves with the help of a local investor, Bob Mazer, who sold them their building, and BDC, the bank dedicated to entrepreneurs.

Chris Warwaruk said with the expected influx of craft breweries in Manitoba -- several more are reportedly close to launching -- they want to do everything they can to differentiate their brand.

"The stronger ones will have a great story behind it. We want to showcase where and how our ingredients are grown and that the money stays on a small family farm," he said.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 3, 2015 B5

DanN
09-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Brothers Chris and Lawrence Warwaruk, co-owners of Farmery Estate Brewery, have bought a 15,000-square-foot building in Neepawa

Cool. My dad was from Neepawa.

Steveo9mm
09-04-2015, 04:21 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/AKE_Duff_Beer_IMG_5244_edit.jpg

LB303
09-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Used to get into brewing kits in my 20s-30s, when cost-effective batches were a priority. Some of those turned out pretty tasty too. Just never did like Blue or Canadian, didn't like Bud or Pabst either. My fav brew while in the US was always Miller High Life. The stuff Molson makes here under license just isn't the same, I'm thinking it's the water. MGD is okay though. Now I'm well into my 50s and don't drink nearly as much any more, I'll just buy whatever I feel like. Cost isn't really a factor since a dozen brews might last me 2-3 months. Depends on my mood, anything from Corona to Guinness is good. Just keep fruit out of it. Cheers!

Mark-II
09-07-2015, 02:45 PM
I tell you the most disgusting stuff I ever tried was Shock Top, some micro brewed wheat beer in Fargo that tasted like perfume, and a spoilt bottle of McEwans that smelt and tasted like turpentine.

I like stout or brown ale. More malty than hoppy. The bitterness of hops just builds up cumulatively such that the last gulp or two is awful.

That also means that whatever I have, after 1, I'm done.

kennymo
09-07-2015, 03:35 PM
^^ The Shock Top seems to have caught on locally as a bit of a fad beer. I find the Rickard's wheat (white) to be head and shoulders above their stuff, the ST raspberry beer isn't very good at all IMO. I don't mind their shandy though, it's alright as a hot summer's day refreshment, though I'd rather have one of the German grapefruit brews if we're going that route....

Swampdonkey
09-08-2015, 01:39 AM
I'm a big fan of wheat beers, especially unfiltered. Hoegaarden, Shock Top, Granville Island's Hefeweizen . . .

The sour froth is great. Nutritionally superior too.

looch
09-08-2015, 07:12 AM
Actually, even as a home brewer, I quite like the Shock Top Belgian white.

kennymo
09-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Actually, even as a home brewer, I quite like the Shock Top Belgian white.

Being a home brewer doesn't mean you have good taste, it means you're cheap....;)

I like a wheat beer, but the Shocktop just doesn't do it for me...

RobertMcC
09-08-2015, 07:37 AM
No excuse .. Alexander Keith's...

XERXIES_333
09-12-2015, 10:30 AM
My go to beer is Heineken in the big bottles, and I always buy a mixture of these Lech, Dab, Hops and robbers IPA, Keith's galaxy or cascade hop IPA, Newcastle brown, Molson pilsner, and barking squirrel IPA.

But I will drink just about anything, the beer I dont like list is probably shorter then the ones for what I do like, I stay away from beer that has more then 4 ingredients other then that it's all good.

:Beer time:

Mark-II
09-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Dead Frog brown ale lol

I almost hate trying foreign stuff because it's here today and gone tomorrow.

There was a New Zealand one in a plain green can that I liked. Only grabbed it because it was on a demo table and had been iced.

lone-wolf
09-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Got a rickards variety pack. So far Rickards Dark is a thumbs down.

Mark-II
09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Rickards and Big Rock have both gotten onto my no belch list.

Fort Gary Rouge was a take it or leave it proposition.

Had a dragon stout. Didn't realize it was high test lol. I try anything black at least once

lone-wolf
09-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Rickards White is much more my style

Scatter Gun
09-15-2015, 08:55 PM
I had an old college professor (probably in his 70's) who's favorite saying was "There are no bad beers, only that some are better than others"

He'd say that just prior to falling asleep at the bar on a Friday night!

Mark-II
09-17-2015, 12:57 PM
...I dunno...that Chanel No5 stuff in Fargo was frack nasty...

webster
09-17-2015, 04:49 PM
My go-tos are Labatt Blue and Rolling Rock. Bud Light is nice when it's hot.

I stay away from white beer, Molson Canadian and this god-awful IPA called Mad Tom that I bought on a whim once and can't give away now.

Kenwp
09-17-2015, 05:39 PM
My favorite beer is O'douls dark with no alcohol I can drink that all night.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
09-18-2015, 08:18 PM
My favorite beer is O'douls dark with no alcohol I can drink that all night.

That's not a beer then, that's a malt drink. :tounge:

Laramie Longhorn
09-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Gotta go with Belgians. I like Delerium Tremens and duvul. Hard to get sometimes but worth it. Beer is to Belgium what wine is to France.

Canadian stuff - steam whistle or 1516. There's a black lager at a place called the last best in Calgary that's pretty outstanding too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stew Chunks
09-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I am a big fan of yuengling beers, however I have yet to be able to find them in Canada. Always have to take a case with me when traveling to the eastern US

Halftail
10-17-2015, 02:06 AM
I Dranks Keiths for years but I'm hooked on Innis And Gunn....Maybe not Hooked but I like it a lot!

Marner
12-20-2015, 04:16 PM
So many good craft beers available here that it's difficult to pick one favorite. Although I often find myself leaving the fridge with a Flying Monkey Hoptical Illusion in hand. Brewed in Barrie, On - just down the road from here.

Rory McCanuck
12-20-2015, 06:36 PM
So many good craft beers available here that it's difficult to pick one favorite. Although I often find myself leaving the fridge with a Flying Monkey Hoptical Illusion in hand. Brewed in Barrie, On - just down the road from here.

Funny, I'm having a Flying Monkey Genius of Suburbia right now.
Tastes a bit of orange peel and pine-sol, but enjoyable ;)
I don't know that I'd want to sit and drink 6 of them though.

CLW .45
12-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Guiness.

kennymo
12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Can never go wrong with a Guiness.....especially when it's part of a good black n' tan.....

Downing a Half Pint's St James Pale Ale tonight, which is agreeing with me. Same as it did the last two nights ;D.

GonZo
12-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Ahh guiness one of the best. But anarchy ale from the cannery brewing company in penticton is my #1.

Sent from somewhere

labradort
12-21-2015, 09:25 AM
The best beer I've ever experienced is Caffrey's on tap. The bubbles in that stuff are so small you never burp, and the alcohol level just makes a mellow buzz, not drunkenness. I have not seen it anywhere in years, and it has also disappeared from liquor stores in NS.

For regular consumption, I was drinking Keith's IPA, but I've had two cases with a smashed bottle inside and no signs of this having happened in the store. It seems to me their quality has changed after being taken over by Labatts.

I've switched to Rickards White, which I've read is the Canadian equivalent of the Blue Moon beer grabbed by the flight attendant with Jet Blue who exited his job via the emergency chute in 2010.

chuckbuster
12-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Right now, more often than not, I grab a Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb Atomic IPA, or a Goose Island IPA.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Can never go wrong with a Guiness.....especially when it's part of a good black n' tan.....

Downing a Half Pint's St James Pale Ale tonight, which is agreeing with me. Same as it did the last two nights ;D.

Gotta love Half Pints. They're one of my favorite breweries, and their staff there are great. I see their delivery driver sometimes and he wears this sweater that says "Together we must destroy the evil that is light beer". I reaaaaaally want one of those haha.

Stephen
01-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Been drinking Keiths IPA for a few months and ended up buying two flats of it last Friday.

Metric Warrior
01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Stella Artois took a while to grow on me, it's my preferred beer these days.

kennymo
01-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Have I mentioned Anchor Steam lately? I find it pretty enjoyable....

Marner
01-13-2016, 12:35 AM
Who remembers this?

99 bottles of beer on the wall.... 99 bottles of beer.... if one of those bottles should happen to fall there'd be 98 bottles of beer on the wall. And on and on until there was no bottles of beer on the wall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Bottles_of_Beer

CARiD
01-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Lately I started to drink BUD a lot, and of course Heineken is one of the best.

Armorman
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM
It's a toss up between Guinness Draught and Svyturys Old Port.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mark-II
01-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Kinda more interested in Lagers lately. I really really can't stand the bitter after taste of IPA and the like - it just builds up on the palate.

Coors Banquet Beer is a smooth one

Tyskie another

Even tried some Fosters and found it decent.

I had some Inns & Gunn stuff in a red can last night (Oak Aged, it claims). Pretty vile... There was one of theirs that I liked, but I forget what it was, other than it being around 7%

I don't generally go for the "strong" ones. They tend to taste like they've been laced with rubbing alcohol, and it takes away from it.

Mill Street's stout is a good analogue for Guinness

kennymo
01-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Kinda more interested in Lagers lately. I really really can't stand the bitter after taste of IPA and the like - it just builds up on the palate.

I don't mind an India Pale around the level of a Keith's or the like, but there seems to be some sort of competition lately as to who can squeeze the highest levels of hops into their beer. I can take one bottle or can of most of them, but then I'm done. Others are just plain gross....

Agreed on the Banquet. An easy drinking economical beer, little more flavour than the watered down stuff that is Budweiser or the other cookie cutter lagers. I still like a Club beer now and again too....

kswan
01-13-2016, 11:38 AM
http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg508/kswan66/10424314_10152520834332945_7728368443334031499_n_z psdawivzff.jpg

Ikea Beer. Its actually pretty good and make Ikea visits much less painful.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Tyskie another

Even tried some Fosters and found it decent.

I had some Inns & Gunn stuff in a red can last night (Oak Aged, it claims). Pretty vile... There was one of theirs that I liked, but I forget what it was, other than it being around 7%

I don't generally go for the "strong" ones. They tend to taste like they've been laced with rubbing alcohol, and it takes away from it.

Mill Street's stout is a good analogue for Guinness

Tyskie is a pretty god damn good Polish beer. I get it if the LC runs out of Baltika #7 or Czechvar. Fosters is alright, the miller rep brought us some special handles that grip onto the big "Oil Can" so you can use it as a mug.

firemachine69
01-13-2016, 08:32 PM
It's a toss-up nowadays.

I'm a big fan of my local micro-brew, and specifically, "Saturday Night".

Then again, Unibroue "Fin du Monde" is pretty awesome too. ;D

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-13-2016, 08:49 PM
It's a toss-up nowadays.

I'm a big fan of my local micro-brew, and specifically, "Saturday Night".

Then again, Unibroue "Fin du Monde" is pretty awesome too. ;D

Speaking of Unibroue, I got a cookbook from their company, and it has some crazy recipes in there that I want to try. One of them requires rabbit meat and a bottle of Ephemere apple, but the girlfriend ain't so found of the idea of eating the same meat as one of our pets. Haha

Mark-II
01-13-2016, 10:55 PM
I bought Baltika on 3 different occasions and all 3 smelled skunky. Taste ok, but a bit rank. I asked a clerk and he said it's just like that, and one of the Ukranian ones is worse

Each LC is a bit different. I stopped at the one by the main street bridge and found a new black beer: Belhaven Black Scottish Stout

Man - just like Guinness but without the burnt toast taste. Very good stuff!

lone-wolf
01-14-2016, 12:50 AM
but there seems to be some sort of competition lately as to who can squeeze the highest levels of hops into their beer. I can take one bottle or can of most of them, but then I'm done. Others are just plain gross....

I had a sam adams once, I think it was a boston lager. Their commercials used to be about all the hops they put in. It was nasty, the only beer I never finished due to taste.

Metric Warrior
01-14-2016, 08:19 AM
I had a sam adams once, I think it was a boston lager. Their commercials used to be about all the hops they put in. It was nasty, the only beer I never finished due to taste.

I had a Kilkenny with the same result.
I have no idea how people enjoy that, but some do.

kennymo
01-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I love Kilkenny. And Boston Lager on tap isn't too bad, not one of my favourites though. When I think excessive hopiness, I'm thinking one of those goose IPA's or a beer they feel justified inserting hops into the name...

looch
01-14-2016, 09:35 AM
You guys are funny. FYI, lagers don't typically have intensely hopped flavour profiles.

If you have never had a proper IPA - which is very hard to find outside of a brew pub - then yes, your first one is going to be a bit of a shocker. The problem with bottles and cans is that the "front-end" hops is going to be long gone and all you're left with is the back-end bitterness. A good IPA can be appreciated well before it's in your yapper. You should get a either a floral, citrus, or piney (depending on the species of hops) aroma. This is balanced with bitterness, maltiness, and a slightly elevated alcohol level. If any of these things is out of whack, the beer is "not balanced" and it will probably taste like hell. And even then, if it is your first really good IPA, you will probably still not like it - but given a chance it could grow on you and for many people, it often does.

Having said that, if I don't happen to have anything on tap and I want a relatively inexpensive (all store-bought beer is crazy expensive these days), thirst quenching beer that I can quaff down with abandon, I'll settle for a Labatt 50.

lone-wolf
01-14-2016, 12:07 PM
You guys are funny. FYI, lagers don't typically have intensely hopped flavour profiles.

Yea, I usually enjoy lagers more because of it. Sam adams wasn't typical.

Northshore
01-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I like to try different brands of beer, I typically look at all the different kinds/brands on display and pick one I would like to try, sometimes if I like it I will buy it again for awhile before I try another brand. I'm not that fussy I like dark beers, lagers, ale's, imported beer, etc, the only type of brew I really don't much care for are the real high alcohol types of beer.

tdod101
01-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Schneider Weisse tap 7

You MUST try it.

http://www.stuttgart.com.br/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/schneider_weisse_-_tap_7_com_copocort.jpg

looch
01-16-2016, 12:16 AM
Schneider Weisse tap 7

You MUST try it.

Hiking in the Dolomites, the choices at the bar were tasteless lagers or Paulaner Weiss. Good stuff but by the end of my trip I was dying for at least a little variety.

Mark-II
01-16-2016, 11:29 AM
I stay away from anything that says Wheat or Weisse since those types seem to predominately taste like Chanel No5

Shock top... Now THAT was disgusting.

And I've never had anything from Big Rock that wasn't getting choked down by the last third. I just avoid them now.

Dead Frog brown was good. Not seen it in ages.

kennymo
04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w534/kennymo81/Mobile%20Uploads/DF221CD7-E152-41BA-9351-512C2AA7FC1F_zpsrsiqb5u5.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/kennymo81/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DF221CD7-E152-41BA-9351-512C2AA7FC1F_zpsrsiqb5u5.jpg.html)

Picked up a can of Farmery's Canadian Pale Ale to test drive. Not bad, but a little heavy on the hops for my taste. I'll be sticking to the orange cans....

Rory McCanuck
04-24-2016, 04:23 PM
Funny, just learned of their Pale Ale on Friday night, as I was drinking my first lager of theirs.
Quite enjoyed the lager, and want to try the ale.
Buddy was saying that they come in and 8-pack, 4 Lager, 4 Ale.
I like having a selection ;)