PDA

View Full Version : Not so average Axis

mavrik9
06-30-2015, 02:23 PM
I bought a Savage axis a couple years ago in hopes that their 1moa out of the box claim was correct. :smash: It couldn't have been farther from the truth, and turned out to be closer to minute of barn. I couldn't go out and buy another rifle so I decided to make this one a shooter. First to go was the Tupperware stock for a boyds prairie hunter stock. Then I ditched the junk optics for a Vortex 4x12 diamondback scope. Unsatisfied with the mounting system, I replaced it with a one piece Game Reaper rail and rings. That part I had to customize myself because nobody in Canada caries a one piece for the Axis.Yesterday I installed a Timiny trigger from ATRS, and my next step will be to glass bed the action.
http://i.imgur.com/zAbTbOKl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mXnE0nWl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yMe8d8Sl.jpg

Rory McCanuck
06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
I know you are now into it for a good bit more, but that's a good looking rifle, and it seems to shoot ;)

kennymo
06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Huh, well you made an Axis look good, which is a helluva feat in itself...

mavrik9
06-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Just a few bits more than any sane person would have spent on an axis. And thanks guys, I like the way it looks now too.

mavrik9
07-01-2015, 05:32 PM
I just checked the new trigger and the pull weight has improved significantly from 7.5lbs to 2.25lbs. I will be making another range trip on Monday before the Poker Rally shoot to see if I can get that down to 1.5lbs.
:D

Drache
07-01-2015, 05:40 PM
I've owned three Axis rifles in different calibers. All were sub MOA right out of the box. Regretted getting rid of them, especially the one in .243!

Nice looking axis though you ave (if you could call it that anymore) :P

Foxer
07-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Nice looking axis though you ave (if you could call it that anymore)

No foolin' - the thing looks just awesome - it's a sick looking rifle now that's for sure. And it sure looks like it's shooting nice. That'll scare a few animals. You'll have to start calling it the "axis of evil". :)

mavrik9
07-01-2015, 06:05 PM
No foolin' - the thing looks just awesome - it's a sick looking rifle now that's for sure. And it sure looks like it's shooting nice. That'll scare a few animals. You'll have to start calling it the "axis of evil". :)
Axis of evil eh? I think I like it.

blacksmithden
07-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Thats a nice looking gun. I took a Stevens model 200 in 300 win mag.....basically, a Savage model 110 with a pencil barrel.....still the same Savage long action receiver.....bedded the original tupperware stock.....did a LOT of load development.....put a Timmny trigger in it that was cranked down into ounces, not pounds....cant remember the scope - a Bushnell something or other. After all that, it shot under 1 moa even in my shaky hands. The real secret....I painted the green stock black. :) LOL.

In all seriousness though...the biggest improvement, bar none, was doing the load development. 0.5 grains of powder made the difference between 1" groups and 3+" groups on that particular gun.

mavrik9
07-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Thats a nice looking gun. I took a Stevens model 200 in 300 win mag.....basically, a Savage model 110 with a pencil barrel.....still the same Savage long action receiver.....bedded the original tupperware stock.....did a LOT of load development.....put a Timmny trigger in it that was cranked down into ounces, not pounds....cant remember the scope - a Bushnell something or other. After all that, it shot under 1 moa even in my shaky hands. The real secret....I painted the green stock black. :) LOL.

In all seriousness though...the biggest improvement, bar none, was doing the load development. 0.5 grains of powder made the difference between 1" groups and 3+" groups on that particular gun.
It's running hand loads now and it seems really happy with 178 grain a-max rounds with 53.6 grains of imr 4350. I was also playing with the trigger tonight and got it to 1.5lbs, I can't wait for Monday.

blacksmithden
07-01-2015, 10:11 PM
It's running hand loads now and it seems really happy with 178 grain a-max rounds with 53.6 grains of imr 4350. I was also playing with the trigger tonight and got it to 1.5lbs, I can't wait for Monday.

I put in the new trigger group, and followed the directions to the letter. I did the bounce the gun against the floor thing to make sure it didn't go off. It was fine...if you breathed too hard on it, it would go off. Just brush that trigger, and bang. I thought..holy crap, that's light !!! In hind sight, I didn't need it that light, but thought, what the heck...as long as it's pointed in a safe direction. It never gave me the slightest reason not to trust it, but damn..that was still the lightest trigger anybody ever felt..at least the people who I got to try it.

mavrik9
07-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I put in the new trigger group, and followed the directions to the letter. I did the bounce the gun against the floor thing to make sure it didn't go off. It was fine...if you breathed too hard on it, it would go off. Just brush that trigger, and bang. I thought..holy crap, that's light !!! In hind sight, I didn't need it that light, but thought, what the heck...as long as it's pointed in a safe direction. It never gave me the slightest reason not to trust it, but damn..that was still the lightest trigger anybody ever felt..at least the people who I got to try it.
1.5 seems to be the lowest that trigger will go, any lighter and it will go off with a bounce or if I close the bolt too fast. I can't imagine the second one being very fun at all, Especially from a 30-06. I was trying for less than a lb. just to try it.

kennymo
07-01-2015, 10:23 PM

I went ridiculously light with my first attempt at installing a Rifle Basix trigger in my Stevens. It was so damn frightening to chamber a round I yanked it out and started over for somewhere close to 2 lbs.

blacksmithden
07-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I went ridiculously light with my first attempt at installing a Rifle Basix trigger in my Stevens. It was so damn frightening to chamber a round I yanked it out and started over for somewhere close to 2 lbs.

I know what you mean. Mine never went off, no matter what I did to it....and believe me...I rammed a dummy round in there probably 50 times all said and down...nope...it always caught, and wouldn't go off until you actually touched the trigger. I beat the hell out of the butt plate on the floor trying to get it to go....It was definitely under a pound though...way under, but it never went off. Still...I'd never set one up that light again. Doubting it was just uncomfortable enough to want it a little heavier. That being said....man...being able to just think hard about pulling the trigger sure eliminates any flinch you might have. :)

kennymo
07-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I know what you mean. Mine never went off, no matter what I did to it....and believe me...I rammed a dummy round in there probably 50 times all said and down...nope...it always caught, and wouldn't go off until you actually touched the trigger. I beat the hell out of the butt plate on the floor trying to get it to go....It was definitely under a pound though...way under, but it never went off. Still...I'd never set one up that light again. Doubting it was just uncomfortable enough to want it a little heavier. That being said....man...being able to just think hard about pulling the trigger sure eliminates any flinch you might have. :)

Lol, yeah mine passed the bump test too. But with a round in the chamber a stiff gust of wind would make me break out in a cold sweat. It was my coyote whacking gun anyway, so I figured maybe it was best to have a little more resistance when going prone in the scrub....

Rory McCanuck
07-02-2015, 08:37 AM
4350 to the rescue once again!

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2011/03/16/FRH-Tag-I-put-that-_-On-everything.jpg

Edzzed
07-03-2015, 01:09 AM
You have literally done everything to your Axis that I have done to my .270 Axis. Although I opted for a Boyd's thumb hole and riflebasix Sav-1 trigger. The scope I opted for is Bushnell's 4-12X40 XLT Trophy Hunter. I don't yet know how accurate it is as it's been a work in progress. I can hit a pop can at 200 yards. Just built a lead sled but won't be out to shoot it till Septembers vacation then off hunting come October. I also added a Glades armory bolt handle since I got tired of rapping knuckles. lol http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/edzzed/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/CAM00909_zpsup6lzwwu.jpg Weaver sells a one piece rail, can't recall the part number but called up Reliable Gun with a part number and they said come on down. It is in stock and have 5 available. You can clearly see it is one piece.

mavrik9
07-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Nice. It's a shame you won't get out shootings with it sooner. And ya I did find some bases in the states a couple months after I put the reaper on mine. I have concidered replacing the bolt handle, but I haven't really sold myself on it yet.