PDA

View Full Version : My reel died.

road kill
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Went fishing early this morning and after about an hour my old Mitchell reel suddenly got very hard to crank. Guess it's time for a new one, i never cared much for this reel anyway. I was just in The Fishing Hole and WSS yesterday in Saskatoon. MY intuition wasn't working very good as i was looking at rods not reels. Temps are supposed to go up so maybe i'll spend time in the basement shop and tear this old reel apart and see what makes it tick.

FlyingHigh
07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Too bad you're not closer. I used to manage the fishing section of a fishing/hunting store and repaired reels on a regular basis. The most common reason a reel would get hard to crank was that it was lubed with grease and not oil. Sand and crap gets in the grease and gums it up. Could also be a faulty drag system. Pull 'er apart and have a look. If it's packed with grease, get it all out of there and re-lube it with Quantum Hot Sauce.

If you're in the market for a new reel, I recommend the Pflueger President. I recently put one on a new spinning rod and it's an excellent reel.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/21320/pflueger-president-spinning-reels

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of my other reels for sale recently. I think they stopped making them. They're the Abu Garcia Cardinal reels. Incredible reels, I have a few ranging from an ultralight with 4lb test line on it all the way up to a heavy salmon sized reel that has 1 spool with 20lb Berkley Big Game mono and another with 65lb Power Pro braided line. If you can find even a used one somewhere, snap it up.

Foxer
07-08-2015, 09:16 AM
If you're in the market for a new reel, I recommend the Pflueger President

That can't be a real thing. If it is, someone in marketing needs to get horsewhipped by a dyslexic.

FlyingHigh
07-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Check the link in my post. LOL

My 5wt fly reel is a Pflueger Trion. Also an excellent reel. :)

Foxer
07-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Check the link in my post. LOL

no way. I have a personal policy to never click on anything I can't spell even when i'm looking at it.

tigrr
07-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I still use the old Mitchell 300. They don't make them like that anymore.

road kill
07-08-2015, 04:42 PM
I will check out the Pflueger line next trip to the city. Going to tear the reel apart tonight, i suspect something more than grease as it go hard to crank very suddenly.

road kill
07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Well i didn't have to buy a new reel after all, a friend of mine gave me a Shimano Stradic. It is used but a nice reel for sure. Not a cheap reel and not one that i would spend that kind of money on, hell i don't fish that much. He happens own a fishing boat in Florida and lives to fish and hunt, i do the maintenance on his shotguns in bird season.

FlyingHigh
07-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Can't complain about that. Shimano makes excellent gear. :)

firemachine69
07-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Can't complain about that. Shimano makes excellent gear. :)

Well, so long as you're willing to spend the coin. :)

FlyingHigh
07-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Well, so long as you're willing to spend the coin. :)

Naturally, as with anything you get what you pay for. The Stradic the OP wound up with is a $200 reel. Very very sweet.

However, the Shimano Sienna is around $40 and was one of the more popular budget reels when I sold fishing gear for a living. The Sedona is a bit better and runs between $60 and $80 depending if you snag it on sale ($59.99 on sale at cabelas.ca right now). Both reels will provide a lifetime of excellent service for the casual summer weekend fisherman, which is what most people are.

No need to go spend big money on a reel unless you take your fishing into the realm of an obsession like I do. LOL. But even then, if you know what to look for you can get alot of bang for your buck (eg. I fish Temple Fork Outfitters fly rods, about $350 - $400 for their high end rods, and they fish almost as nice as my friend's $800 Sage).

If I were to set someone up with a casual weekender spin casting set up, which would be used in the amount and style 80% of people fish I could do it for well under $200.

Shimano Sedona reel - $79.99 assuming it's not on sale
Shimano Convergence rod - $79.99
Berkley Solutions Spin Cast line - $15

There ya have it. An excellent combo for under $200 tax in and it will last you decades if not a life time of average use. :)

road kill
07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I guess a guy could always get a $15.95 combo unit at Walmart and have fun undoing all the snarls instead of fishing.;D That Shimano i was given is a sweet reel.