PDA

View Full Version : reloading 410 shotshells without a press....or shot cups.....or a crimper and need ideas

saskgunowner
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Boredom (or curiosity) sometimes get the best of me, so I thought I'd try to reload some 410 shells. Yeah, I don't have a press or shot cups but cobbled enough info together from the internet that it seems quite simple. I have the hulls, W-296 and shotgun primers. The rest is about creativity. I have made styrofoam and cardboard wads and need to poach some shot from some 12 gauge shells.

I just have to figure out how to crimp the shells.....they're roll crimp, so I'm at a loss to figure out how to make it work at the moment. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

M.T. Chambers
06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
The simple tool to roll crimp .410 cases is avail. from BP or PR, it is inexpensive and a simple tool that is used on a drill or better still on a drill press.

saskgunowner
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Is it acceptable to cut off the top 1/4 inch of the shell and just use an overshot piece of cardboard and set with glue?? I came across this idea on another forum. I would like to do this without buying any tools at all if possible. I also have plans to paper patch a .368 -285 grain boolit for a slug and see what happens.....probably key hole after a short distance but I'm easily amused.

M.T. Chambers
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
That works for Black powder reloads, not sure about smokeless where you need a fair bit of resistance to build pressure, or you'll get some squib loads.

TPK
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Creativity is NOT advised when re-loading. While the smallest, the .410 is quite high in pressure which is why it's lethal beyond the range of a 12G. Call me a fun sponge but seriously, stop playing, get a manual and do it right or not at all. Your eyesight and hands are worth it. While you may be able to "create" a shell, you're skipping the step of re-sizing, an important step in making sure your shell seats properly in the chamber in order to expand and seal the gasses from blowing back through your action and into your face.

saskgunowner
06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Well that was pretty easy. I made one to try out. 15 grains W-296 powder, overpowder cardboard disc, two styrofoam disc (.4" total) another cardboard disc, 1/2 oz shot, overshot cardboard disc, and dab o glue. I should have patterned a factory shell for a comparison. Anyways, at 9-10 yards, I got a "wall of death" pattern of 10"x12" and remaining fliers in approx. 14"x16" area. It did much better than I thought it would for a homemade shell. I was very happy it wasn't a blooper!!

TPK: I appreciate your concern, but I've done a fair bit of reloading for rifle and pistol and don't mind stepping out of the box a little ways. If anything, my shell would have lower pressure with no roll or star crimp. As for the resizing, if it fits, it will work. It's not a situation where it's an oversized shell hanging up in an autoloader, causing it to fire out of battery. This was fired through a NEF single shot, so either it fits or it doesn't.

M.T. Chambers
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Most handloading,(esp. shotshell) can be done with a minimum of tools if done safely, however for consistency and any kind quantity reloading, a person is best advised to go with a simple, single stage shotgun reloader like a MEC. It's less like work and easy to turn out a couple of boxes of quality ammo in no time.

TPK
06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
TPK: I appreciate your concern, but I've done a fair bit of reloading for rifle and pistol and don't mind stepping out of the box a little ways. If anything, my shell would have lower pressure with no roll or star crimp. As for the resizing, if it fits, it will work. It's not a situation where it's an oversized shell hanging up in an autoloader, causing it to fire out of battery. This was fired through a NEF single shot, so either it fits or it doesn't.

OK, sounds like you have a good handle on it, I was just a little concerned as some folks approach re-loading with a "let's try it and see" approach without fully understanding the process and consequences of changing things up. There was a "HandLoaders" article a while back on the .410 and using it for home defense (yes, that's right ... home defense). Some loads had been tried using the round crimp on lead fishing weights. They used 4 or 5 of these crimped onto a wire. Pretty devastating results.

reloader
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Would be nice if someone made a set of 7/8x14 thread dies for the .410

saskgunowner
03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Necro post my own thread FTW!!! I wasn't smart enough to find my own posts until now..... Anyways, I did eventually roll more shells up by hand (a box total all said and done) and they worked alright. They didn't pattern as good as factory obviously, and very dirty. They'd work for grouse out to 15 or so meters I would think. One blooper in there too, much less report and the pellets hitting much softer.

infidel29
03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
good to know. I'm tempted to try that. All I have is a classic lee loader for a 12g but I haven't even looked at it yet since I got it off ebay. what powders do you use for shotgun, or rather what can't you use? I am a total newb to reloading.

Foxer
03-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Cool :)

TPK
03-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Had my Grandson out today with a .410 Mossberg pump trying trap. I was telling him if he wants to shoot trap I'll look at getting a 20 gauge for him but to just try it with the .410 and see what you think. I was sure to warn him he would likely not hit anything as it's very hard with such a small shotgun but he still hit a few and had a great time. Looks I'll be shopping for a 20 gauge ... lol.

saskgunowner
03-23-2015, 12:02 AM
good to know. I'm tempted to try that. All I have is a classic lee loader for a 12g but I haven't even looked at it yet since I got it off ebay. what powders do you use for shotgun, or rather what can't you use? I am a total newb to reloading.

We'll put a "do so at your own risk" disclaimer here. Just because I can cobble something together and cheat/defy the odds/and/or death, doesn't mean you will.:evil1: I'm not sure what's the right flavor for 12 gauge. I think I tried W-296 and Unique or Herco in the 410.

road kill
03-23-2015, 04:46 AM
Infidel29 you should check out web sites like Hodgdon for info on powders and the loads for them, they also have info on IMR and WW powders. There are several other powder companys that i check out when looking for new loads.

kennymo
03-23-2015, 05:58 PM
You can find shotshell loading manuals at most reputable gun shops too. Probably worth having on hand for just starting. Have a skim through them, some have better 'how to' sections than others.

blacksmithden
03-23-2015, 06:06 PM

I use Unique for my 12 gauge stuff.....but go get a reloading book for shotgun. :)