PDA

View Full Version : I have a crazy idea...

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 03:47 PM
I hadn't shot my bow in about 5 years until recently. Now I wanna start shooting it more but I don't often feel like driving 20 minute or so to where I can shoot (Yeah, some days I'm lazy). I'm planning to use the bow for grouse this season if I get a chance, so I wanna practice at closer ranges and get to the point where I can make upper body/head shots. So here's my crazy idea...

I wanna shoot IN my house! :evil1:

If I shoot from the western most wall of my bedroom, down the hall and to the eastern most wall of my gear room, I can get pretty much 30 feet. That's just about bang on grouse range. I have a bag target which stops the arrows pretty well and I plan to get a Block one of these days too, which stops arrows even better. I'm thinking of placing a 4x5 sheet of plywood I have behind the target area just in case I twitch or something silly, but at 30 feet a total miss of the target is probably not gonna happen.

My inspiration for this ass hattery was thanks to a youtube video where there was a short clip of Cameron Hanes shooting corner to corner in his living room while watching a football game. Presumably to keep the bow muscles trained up.

Thoughts? Anyone else do this?

I already texted The War Department with my idea and she hasn't replied yet. :Bang head:

kennymo
07-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I already texted The War Department with my idea and she hasn't replied yet.

The tricky part....though with yours, you just might pull it off....

Thoughts? This is all gonna be about backstop and controlling the passers through....

Strewth
07-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Ahhh, not that you're going to miss, but plywood will stop your arrows? I think it was a 60lb pull on mine that blew through 5/8" with target points. I dunno what kind of bow you have though. Or do you have froo froo arrows? I've always wanted to try those. Other than that, make sure you have spare light bulbs and drywall mud and have at 'er? What could go wrong? lol.

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 04:38 PM
My bow maxes at 50lb and I shoot carbon fiber arrows. I'm thinking they'll disintigrate on impact with the plywood. I could b wrong though. I've never had a pass through on this bag unless i hit right at the edge.

Cryptix
07-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Not really a crazy idea if you ask me, but I might be crazy myself. ;)

Just treat your indoor range, like an indoor range.

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 04:39 PM
The tricky part....though with yours, you just might pull it off....

Ya, I don't see her discouraging this as long as I'm responsible with it. lol. Guess I picked a keeper. :)

jwirecom109
07-19-2015, 04:44 PM
I use to shoot my crossbow in the house 10 yards. Never an issue

http://www.bulldogtargets.ca/contents/en-us/d37_archery_targets_for_sale.html

blacksmithden
07-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Here goes the damage deposit. :rolleyes:

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Well, she's home. Not only is she ok with it...she's mad that she's a southpaw shooter and therefore can't use my bow to try it herself!! :D :D :D

I think I'm keeping her....

I use to shoot my crossbow in the house 10 yards. Never an issue

http://www.bulldogtargets.ca/contents/en-us/d37_archery_targets_for_sale.html

Same idea as a Block but I don't think you can use broadheads in those can you?

Here goes the damage deposit. :rolleyes:

Screw em if they can't take a joke. They've been such a nightmare I doubt we'll even get our deposit back anyways.

kennymo
07-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Ahhh, not that you're going to miss, but plywood will stop your arrows? I think it was a 60lb pull on mine that blew through 5/8" with target points. I dunno what kind of bow you have though. Or do you have froo froo arrows? I've always wanted to try those. Other than that, make sure you have spare light bulbs and drywall mud and have at 'er? What could go wrong? lol.

Stop discouraging him, I wanna see what happens...

coastal
07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
I'd do it!

Foxer
07-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Well it kind of sounds like something that would fall into the "Hey guys - watch this!" category of likely end results, but what the heck. At least you'll answer the age old question of "If you're attacked in your home by a grouse and all you have is a bow...."

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Oh, of course she had to film it and put in on FB. I was also instructed to post said video here:

http://vid157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Steeliestalker/20150719_180320_zpsfhfjs1uh.mp4

jwirecom109
07-19-2015, 07:08 PM
well its a hold my beer and watch this moment, we gotta see what happens

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 07:12 PM
well its a hold my beer and watch this moment, we gotta see what happens

Watch the vid. :D

blacksmithden
07-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Very anti-climactic. You should shoot something else....like the tires on a passing police car. Video tape that and get back to us. :rolleyes:

Mil Specs
07-19-2015, 07:20 PM
My cousin is an avid Hunter in PA. he jokingly calls himself the master of the thirteen yard shot . Diagonally across his Garage/man cave/ game processing area is exactly 13 yards . He did similar reinforcing of the corner with a couple of sheets of plywood and some other stuff to stop the arrows I think . The only precaution is having a safety lock out procedure so that no one accidentally walks in while an arrow is in flight . Hanging a sock on the door knob while effective may send the wrong message to a significant other :) .

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Somehow I don't see "Well your honor, some guy on the internet told me to do it" holding up well in court.

jwirecom109
07-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Somehow I don't see "Well your honor, some guy on the internet told me to do it" holding up well in court.

Seems legit

Foxer
07-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I just picture someone coming around the corner there. "Hey FH, I just wanted to borrow your WOAAAAH!!!! OWwwww of all the days not to wear a cup... "

PatchRat
07-19-2015, 08:08 PM
I see nothing at all wrong with your plan, except that all the grouse I have gotten with my bow were within 10 feet, so realistically in my mind, you don't even need as much space as you think. Party on Wayne!

Foxer
07-19-2015, 08:09 PM
I see nothing at all wrong with your plan, except that all the grouse I have gotten with my bow were within 10 feet, so realistically in my mind, you don't even need as much space as you think. Party on Wayne!

10 feet - woulnd't it just be easier to 'fix bayonettes' at that point? HEY - try a bayonette charge on the target, I wanna see how that ends up! :)

PatchRat
07-19-2015, 08:20 PM
I never considered it, but next time I'm out with my mosin, that is being attempted!

blacksmithden
07-19-2015, 08:31 PM

If by "hold up in court", you mean, they would believe that some guy on the internet told you to....then sure it will....they will believe you. You're still going to jail, but I bet they don't accuse you of lying. :)

road kill
07-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately all i got was sound so i can't testify at the trail as it would be hear say evidence.

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 08:49 PM
I just picture someone coming around the corner there. "Hey FH, I just wanted to borrow your WOAAAAH!!!! OWwwww of all the days not to wear a cup... "

Fortunately, there's only two of us living here. :)

10 feet - woulnd't it just be easier to 'fix bayonettes' at that point? HEY - try a bayonette charge on the target, I wanna see how that ends up! :)

Oh man, I need to see video of THAT! :D :D

FlyingHigh
07-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately all i got was sound so i can't testify at the trail as it would be hear say evidence.

Weird. Video works for me. Anyone else not seeing the video?

Strewth
07-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Weird. Video works for me. Anyone else not seeing the video?

Video works perfect! I don't know why anyone would be concerned either. Flaming arrows next!

kennymo
07-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Video works perfect! I don't know why anyone would be concerned either. Flaming arrows next!

Do they have archery tannerite yet?

Strewth
07-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Do they have archery tannerite yet?

I smell a million dollar idea...
Disclaimer: If one was to ever try wrapping blackpowder to the head of an arrow, one would be advised to A: get a long arrow, B: don't wear a longsleeved leather jacket so when your supposed 5 second fuse gets a case of the urgents the flaming mess doesn't end up in the general vicinity of your elbow causing (among other things) one to throw their brand new bow on the gravel while doing an impression of an extremely profane kangaroo with angry wasps in it's armpits. Just saying.

oilman28
07-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use your back yard instead of shooting inside the house? When I was in university in stoon I lived with a couple of buddies in a house and we used to shoot bows in the back yard all the time. We made a backstop out of square bales against the garage and never had issues with loosing arrows or the neighbour's getting pissed.

Steveo9mm
07-19-2015, 11:22 PM
i have shot in my houuse. I still do. my living room is about 25-30 feet. i have almost nothing in it.

FALover
07-20-2015, 04:16 AM
Urban area, sound ok by me. My son brings up the times I would shoot one of my favorite semi-auto rifles from the bathroom window to targets in the back yard. .308 would make the whole house ring .(not a urban area)

Foxer
07-20-2015, 07:59 AM
i have shot in my houuse. I still do. my living room is about 25-30 feet. i have almost nothing in it.

I've shot in my house too, mostly vodka, and i'm telling you it can result in a fair bit of damage! :)

FlyingHigh
07-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use your back yard instead of shooting inside the house? When I was in university in stoon I lived with a couple of buddies in a house and we used to shoot bows in the back yard all the time. We made a backstop out of square bales against the garage and never had issues with loosing arrows or the neighbour's getting pissed.

I dont have a backyard. Well, ok i do but its more like a patio. To get 30 feeti would be shooting across at least one or two neighbour's patios.

I used to shoot in my parents back yard growing up though.

Metric Warrior
07-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Have fun and only stop once you have minions running around the house.
Good gal you have there.