PDA

View Full Version : What is a guy to do to get a simple utility edc knife in this country?

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Hello. Recently i haven't been able to import a single knife into Canada. All my purchases are of standard folder utility knives such as the ganzo 704.

All i get is that it's a gravity open knife and it's restricted. However a fellow knife enthusiast about an hours drive away got all of his from the same dealers same shipping, same everything. No special repore with customs & border services.

I can't help but think that customs is stealing my knives was even a lock back knife got seized. This is getting expensive and even ordering through amazon Canada for the same Ganzo.

I've already lost over 100$ in the last 3 months. I told Spyderco to cancel my c81 order and I can't get my order from knifezone.ca for me benchmade griptilian 550HG and that's in Canada for pete sake.

I'm a regular guy with no criminal record and all i want is a new about 3" blade folding knife to replace my old one that is used up. I'm afraid to even go to the local walmart or CT to get a knife and to be honest what they sell there is junk to begin with.

I would have bought a g704 from my friend but his were already ear marked.

None of my knives are illegal what so ever and the ganzo 704's my friend had were all very hard to open. So this customs claim of gravity open to be is b-$.

I can't afford to keep trying to buy a simple pocket knife if it's going to be confiscated every single time.

I really don't know what to do. I don't make folders myself and i don't dare ask any custom maker to make one if it won't even get to me.

Forbes/Hutton
07-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Try Kijiji, there may be something you want, or at least can live with there and it would be a face to face with the seller.

CaperJim
07-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Packages travelling inside the country are rarely inspected. Sounds like your mailperson is nabbing parcels if orders from Canada are being intercepted

shootemup604
07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
If you knives are being held at customs there is a review process. You can request a hearing to determine if the goods indeed are prohibited devices.

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes i know i received the CBSA notice. I called them and they claimed that the ganzo 704 knife got a 10/10 infraction, which makes no sense because there is no spring to assist the blade deployment. THE CBSA won't even give me the serial number on the knife so that i can start a buyer protection case with the seller.

Considering that some many other people in Canada got the same knives from the same seller(s) at almost the same time with no CBSA complaints. This is why i am asking around.

If you knives are being held at customs there is a review process. You can request a hearing to determine if the goods indeed are prohibited devices.

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 03:57 PM
It's mostly customs according to knifezone and spyderco. Spyderco told me that they have been having problems with CBSA for about the past 8 months.

Packages travelling inside the country are rarely inspected. Sounds like your mailperson is nabbing parcels if orders from Canada are being intercepted

lone-wolf
07-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Sounds like you should just shop a canadian store.
CBSA used to be not much of a concern, but since town cops and rcmp have declared anything and everything illegal, maybe the cbsa started to do the same?

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm swear going to buy a mora and stick it in some cheap knockoff folder frame at this rate.

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you should just shop a canadian store.
CBSA used to be not much of a concern, but since town cops and rcmp have declared anything and everything illegal, maybe the cbsa started to do the same?

I mentioned above knifezone (canada) and amazon.ca. Knifezone can't get my benchmade 550hg or the spyderco c81 and Amazon Canada has the same CBSA problems with the ganzo 704s the sell as it is an outsourced sell from china. The CBSA also confiscated my Enlan M020 and that's a liner lock.

Bushcraft Canada even if i order from them often does not have much in folders.

Don't get me started on Cabelas Canada. They certainly are not S.I.R.

The only knife i was able to get in since January 2015 was a Sanrenmu model 723 (frame lock).

CaperJim
07-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Take a trip down South and bring back some souvenirs

lone-wolf
07-23-2015, 04:08 PM
warriorsandwonders has a couple c81s in stock and a few 550HGs

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Take a trip down South and bring back some souvenirs

Do you think that would work with my luck? Heh, thanks i appreciate it.

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 04:10 PM

I will look, again thank you.

blacksmithden
07-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Really....there's exactly SFA you can do unless you're prepared to file a formal complaint...there's has to be some kind of process in place for filing complaints about malicious CBSA activity. When that comes up with nothing (which you know it will...cops investigating cops) you could file a formal court challenge on their ruling. They know damned well you won't, so it's life without rules, we do as we please, for them...as usual.

bladesmith
07-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Really....there's exactly SFA you can do unless you're prepared to file a formal complaint...there's has to be some kind of process in place for filing complaints about malicious CBSA activity. When that comes up with nothing (which you know it will...cops investigating cops) you could file a formal court challenge on their ruling. They know damned well you won't, so it's life without rules, we do as we please, for them...as usual.

Tell me something i don't know. ;-)

I know for a fact that some one at the CBSA is going to end up with my knife once again even if they claim that it will be destroyed in 90 days.

Contesting trouble is not worth 19$ CAD. What erks me most is that this is the third knife in as many months. Spyderco pleaded with me to keep my order but they couldn't deny all the recent CBSA problems.

You can get a huge or small hibben knife which is always in a scare the h*ck out of any one design with double edges and sharpened spikes but a 2" blade edc lock back folder is banned.

CLW .45
07-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Go to the nearest military base and check out the gift shops operated by outfits like PPCLI.

Kenwp
07-23-2015, 08:33 PM
What part of the world do you live in. Would help to give you some options.

bladesmith
07-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Canada obviously.

What part of the world do you live in. Would help to give you some options.

bladesmith
07-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Yes i went to a local military surplus. No folders but plenty of fixed blades and of course i ended up buying too many.

Waynetheman
07-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Was gonna say this. Don't know what pricing you're gettin at those other places but warriors and wonders has always been pretty competitive with good selection.

bladesmith
07-24-2015, 10:46 AM
I managed to find a ganzo 704 in Montreal and it's bought. Also going for another spyderco at Warriors.

There was another shop i believe in Ottawa that i got my first Fallkniven folder from. Pro.... something, but i don't think they are in business any longer or at least i don't get their newsletters/e-flyers any more.

Thanks again.

bladesmith
07-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Amazon Canada has the 550hg at 118$ + free shipping. It's also shipped from with Canada.

Warriors is 127$ + shipping for the same 550hg.

The Spyderco c81 is better price at Warriors.

What i had originally planed was to have a nice selection of lower cost but still good knives for the regular people that come in and want an edc pocket knife. However it is proving near impossible to import anything. I won't touch those flea market made in China knives that are nothing more than production rejects, you can find those anywhere.

Thanks gain for the help.

Was gonna say this. Don't know what pricing you're getting at those other places but warriors and wonders has always been pretty competitive with good selection.

Waynetheman
07-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Atleast you found what you're looking for, I've neve personally done business with them but I've heard s&r knives in Ontario somewhere is also good.

bladesmith
07-28-2015, 11:55 AM
I do recall ordering once from S&R knives but that was some time ago and i think it was a ceramic sharpening stone or something to that effect. I don't recall a bad experience with them.

I did noticed that the same knives i was looking for when i started this thread were also "not available" in Canada or for "CA shipping" at S&R, same as knifezone. The 550HG is still not available at S&R. Strange.

Atleast you found what you're looking for, I've neve personally done business with them but I've heard s&r knives in Ontario somewhere is also good.

Waynetheman
07-28-2015, 12:52 PM
That is strange as was your experience with cbsa.

bladesmith
07-28-2015, 04:29 PM
That is strange as was your experience with cbsa.

I don't know if it's worth talking about but if it helps others deal with the CBSA then so much the better.

The Ganzo G740 is a basic spear point utilitarian folder. It has an axis lock that is licensed from benchmade. The point being that even if the springs in the axis lock were to break there is a natural detente on knives with an axis lock that equal that of a lock back folder even from 50 years ago. Even if the pivot screw is loose there is no way even a military guy could flick it open normally without using his thumb at least 1/2 way. The only way you can open it gravity is to pull back the axis lock to the point of breaking before it gets loose enough to flick open. So in a way the CBSA cheated and lied as there is no physical way to loosen an axis lock to the point of no contact with the blade unless you break or over extend the lock. It's one of the aspects of the design of the axis lock to be more reliable.

The spyderco compression lock is a liner lock that is on top or spine of the knife frame and has a small bearing on the lock that makes a detente force on the knife bade to keep it from dropping down just like a liner lock or frame lock, or even a lock back knife. Again the only way to get the knife to gravity drop is to remove the lock from the equation.

Since any of these knives require direct interaction to disable the knife the CBSA falsified their tests as i can pop out the safety button on a gun the same way they did with the knives and make up some fake story as it being illegal it does not mean that i am in the right.

I got my other g704 in from ebay canada (in Canada) and i tried to make it drop even by removing the pivot screw completely and it could get rid of the detente pressure. Apart from pushing the lock to the extreme i could not duplicate what the CBSA did/claims. You have to pull the axis lock so hard that you start tearing the skin on your fingers after 4 or 5 tries.

Oh yes one other point is that another Canadian ordering the same g704 from the same seller got all three of their g704's. No problems with the CBSA, perhaps it's because i am in Quebec that the CBSA in Mississauga, Ont doesn't like me, it wouldn't surprise me considering that to date every one else is getting their knives in. They probably thought i was a push over living up north, and one of their friends gets a nice new knife.

I recorded my conversations with the CBSA and going back over the recordings, they might have been surprised to hear me speak English, not sure though.

I managed to get the batch and prodction number of the knife the CBSA impounded. I'l keep and eye out for it as unlikely as that i would actually come across it.

Anyhow i don't wish to turn this into a rant and i am growing weary of talking about the CBSA .

Take the information as you will.

Waynetheman
07-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, they play by their own rules it seems. I've had good luck with mine including assisted openers.

Mobusten
07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Warriorsandwonders has always been good to me. Best prices on any of the knives that I've bought.