PDA

View Full Version : Leupold vx-1

lone-wolf
07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
SFRC has Leupold VX-1s, 3-9x40, for $250 and it seems like a no brainer for my browning.
Any arguments?

webster
07-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Not from me. I use a VX-1 1-4x20 on my Henry and it's been great. Nice and clear.

lone-wolf
07-23-2015, 07:03 PM
These, been poking around the internet all day, and they get some good reviews.
The $250 is the best I seen, cabelas wants $350

What's your henry? A 30-30?

webster
07-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Yup, good ol' dirty 30. I got the scope from SFRC too. They had the best price I could find for what I wanted.

lone-wolf
07-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Yep, slept on it, ordered today.

kennymo
07-25-2015, 06:06 AM
Good choice, I've considered one in the past but I keep tripping over Bushnell Elites on sale....

gtr
03-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Yep, slept on it, ordered today.

How did this turn out?

gtr
03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Good choice, I've considered one in the past but I keep tripping over Bushnell Elites on sale....

If I had to use bushnell, I would use open sights.

webster
03-29-2016, 09:54 AM
I have no problem with Bushnell, but this made me lol.

BrotherRockeye
03-29-2016, 12:23 PM
The majority of my rifles wear Leupold scopes. Even my muzzle loader has a VXII on it.

Nothing wrong with a XVI. They are tough and the glass is pretty good. They lose a bit in the light transmission department early and late, but overall they are rugged and dependable.

Bushnell scopes aren't what they used to be. The older series had issues with hard recoil. The new Elite series has that covered, being tested with 10 000 rounds of 375 H&H iirc. Add the light transmission and rain guard etc and they are a very good scope for the price point. Look through a VXI and an Elite at dusk or dawn and you will see the difference that 95% light transmission makes over 92%.
VXII scopes only get 94% light transmission, and you pay for it.

Leupold benefits from a great reputation and brand loyalty while Bushnell suffers from uneducated parroting due to previous shortcomings and elitist bs.

jmho of course, I'm sure you did the same research and side by side comparison that I did. :)

gtr
03-29-2016, 12:41 PM
You really drank the cool aid.

BrotherRockeye
03-29-2016, 12:54 PM

Actually I analyzed the cool aid from both companies to see for myself instead of parroting nonsense I heard from others.

I like grape!

kennymo
03-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Har dee har. But with a half dozen Bushnells in the cabinet, and dozens spread out amongst several family members, we've yet to have an issue.... And not just Elites, a variety of Dusk and Dawn, Banner, Trophy, etc.... I've bought all my Elites on sale, most I've ever paid for one was $225 + tax, and I'm looking at $500 plus to get anything from Leupold that's really better in any noticeable way.... No complaints.

BrotherRockeye
03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
How did this turn out?

The sum of your posts in this thread.

Not one useful contribution.

Two trolls and a bait cast.

Maybe a fishing forum would be more along your line...

gtr
03-29-2016, 01:17 PM
My first post asked how he liked his new scope.
Second post was stating the obvious from my forty years of personal experience .
Third post was in response to an obvious google answer...
This post is a response to you taking yourself, and others way too seriously. This is the web, where everyone knows everything.......LOL

gtr
03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Har dee har. But with a half dozen Bushnells in the cabinet, and dozens spread out amongst several family members, we've yet to have an issue.... And not just Elites, a variety of Dusk and Dawn, Banner, Trophy, etc.... I've bought all my Elites on sale, most I've ever paid for one was $225 + tax, and I'm looking at $500 plus to get anything from Leupold that's really better in any noticeable way.... No complaints.

I'm glad they have worked well for you. You should consider yourself fortunate.

kennymo
03-29-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm glad they have worked well for you. You should consider yourself fortunate.

Yes....lucky something like twenty scopes in a row.....time to invest in lottery tickets....:rolleyes:

The only ones I've personally noted having issues were the ones included with some really bargain basement rifle packages a while back....

BrotherRockeye
03-29-2016, 02:59 PM
My first post asked how he liked his new scope.

actually you asked how ordering it turned out

Second post was stating the obvious from my forty years of personal experience .

Obvious, yes. Old prejudice for a new product. Just like I said.

Third post was in response to an obvious google answer...

Obvious to you, though not even close, like your opinion of new model Bushnell Elite scopes. I did actual hands on research of both products and read many independent reviews of both.

This post is a response to you taking yourself, and others way too seriously.

it's called an objective response.

This is the web, where everyone knows everything.......LOL

As you have so astutely proven is anything but true.

I gave my unbiased opinion and you insulted me.
The coolaid remark shows you know as little about me as you do about NEW Elite scopes.
Google indeed... :slap:
While waiting for the 4-12x40 VXII to arrive for my 7mm I bought a new Elite. I compared it side by side with the 4-12x40 VXI on my .223. It was closer to the VXII on my ML for brightness.
As I posted before, I have more Leupold scopes than any other brand, although I did just swap a spare 3-9x40 VXIIc for a Monarch3 2.5-10x42 so I could check them out up close.
The VXIIc is an older model before the 2001?(iirc) upgrade so it's not today's VXII quality.
How's that for an obvious google answer?

This is where I spit the hook and swim away. :run:

gtr
03-29-2016, 03:30 PM
What you like or don't like, makes absolutely no difference to me, one way or the other. If I had to use a bushnell scope, I would use open sights.

lone-wolf
03-29-2016, 07:56 PM
How did this turn out?

The deer is dead and I ate his heart.

Honestly, I think it's a great fit to my browning, but the turrets seem really mushy.
So, I don't know about light transmission, I have poor eyes to start, but it seemed fine in the field - morning and dusk.

gtr
03-30-2016, 07:36 AM
As long as your happy, then that's all that matters.
I'm glad I asked.

BrotherRockeye
03-30-2016, 10:13 AM
As long as your happy, then that's all that matters.

This I agree with you 100%

gtr
04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Sounds like dust has settled.. LOL