PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus **spoilers**

harbl_the_cat
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Anyone watch it yet or have I missed the thread for it?

jwirecom109
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Not yet, i was going to go last Sunday but things got canceled last min, I hear its good.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I went on saturday. If you like the Aliens series you will like this movie. Story is pretty good, effects are amazing. My only complaint was there was some totally random scenes that made no sense and did not contribute to the storyline at all.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10.

mlehto
06-13-2012, 02:27 PM
It was disappointing after all the hype.

I was expecting much more, and more story behind the whole idea, but never got it.

Half way through all I could think was, "FML, just another Aliens movie."

lone-wolf
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I liked it. OPC & mlehto sum it up. Good movie, but not the epic I was expecting.

Waiting on a directors cut...

jwirecom109
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
just another Aliens movie.

Well it is the aliens time line from what i heard

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Its the prequel. You find out the origin of the "alien". As it turns out, it....... lol no I won't spoil it .:smash:

mlehto
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Thats the thing.

From the previews, you would have never really known.

And I really don't think you find the true origin of the aliens. Just a little more information about them, and.............

F me, I can't even say anything without spoiling it for everyone.

Comparing it to some of the other Alien movies though it was boring.

jwirecom109
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
thread title changed so if anyone enters they know there are some spoilers

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Thats the thing.

From the previews, you would have never really known.

And I really don't think you find the true origin of the aliens. Just a little more information about them, and.............

F me, I can't even say anything without spoiling it for everyone.

Comparing it to some of the other Alien movies though it was boring.

The origin is as follows.....

David the android took some of that black ooze and put it the Holloways drink - he swallowed the DNA of whatever that was (some kind of alien plague those other big white alien guys were planning on wiping out mankind with...), Holloway and Shaw have sex, his DNA (altered now) enters her, she becomes pregnant. Alien is born out of her, which in turn attacks and kills one of the big white alien guys. Alien is implanted inside that alien, and is born as the "alien" we know from the originals.

Same concept of hybrid DNA and transformation as the half human alien taken from Ripley in Alien Resurrection.

Like my convoluted plot breakdown....? LOL

lone-wolf
06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I didn't understand why David did that in the first place. Seemed unnecessary and pointless.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I said the same thing to the guys I saw it with - along with a few other major things that made no sense (like when Holloway was infected, thought dead but then attacked the crew, meanwhile the rest of the crew made no comment about it and didn't react at all and the next scene was completely unrelated - also when Shaw has the alien C-sectioned out of her, then walks around and stumbles into the room with Weyland, David and others, covered in blood and gunk with a big scar across her belly, and no one even looks sideways or asks her what happened - "oh hello...")

I think they were trying to make David out as a crap-disturber as were the other androids in previous movies.

mlehto
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I think they were trying to make David out as a crap-disturber as were the other androids in previous movies.

Just another thing that made me say, "just another alien movie".

In all the interviews, and such, everyone kept saying "It isn't a prequel."

Sure as f*&k seemed like one to me!

Like I said, after all the hype I was expecting soo much more, and all I got was another alien movie, only a prequel this time.

lone-wolf
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I still got high hopes that my favourite alien will return to kick ass.

harbl_the_cat
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Just got back from the theatre.

I used to be a die-hard alien fanboy in my younger years. I joined the military specifically because I was such a big fan of Aliens.

I really enjoyed Prometheus and think it did very well for a revisitation of the story. MUCH better than many other recent rehashes of other classic sci-fi series'. Compared to the recent Star Trek and Star Wars releases, I think Prometheus was a very good showing even though it doesn't come anywhere close to Alien (which unequivocally is the best of the series) - it was a little bit too disconnected with some plot elements that didn't make sense.

There was also a LOT of very interesting little tie in's to the other movies in the film as well as some interesting subtle points, some I found really interesting:
-The Space Jockey's/Engineer race had VERY strong parallels to the Nephilim, the Biblical race of giant half human, half angels who were still present after the Great Flood (the story of Noah's ark). The visualization at the beginning as well as the portrayal throughout seemed as if it was inspired by this Biblical story.
-The weapon that the Engineers were developing to exterminate humanity was a chemical that caused a hyper-accelerated form of Darwinian evolution (assuming Darwin's theory is true) to create a the violent, parastic creature we know as the Alien from the series.
-I don't believe the planet Prometheus was set on was NOT the same planet as the first 2 Alien movies. The planet was identified as LV-223, the planet in Aliens (and thus Alien) was designated LV-426. Given that the Space Jockey in the first Alien movie was fossilized and attached to his navegation chair and the jockey in Prometheus was not on his, there's no way the story of Prometheus could be the same as where the first 2 Alien movies were set.
-The alien shown at the end, I believe is a "Queen" alien - by the shape of it's head and the way it was show having 2 sets of outter jaws, it matched the profile of the Queen from Aliens. Furthermore, as the eggs from Alien likely originated from an alien spawning from a Space Jockey (shown in Alien), that would explain why the ship in Alien contained facehugger eggs as opposed to the chemical, irradication chambers shown in Prometheus.

There's quite a few more - but I'm a bit tired right now...

lone-wolf
06-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Damn, now I need to watch Aliens again for the queen reference.

Until the Angels Fall
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
The origin is as follows.....

David the android took some of that black ooze and put it the Holloways drink - he swallowed the DNA of whatever that was (some kind of alien plague those other big white alien guys were planning on wiping out mankind with...), Holloway and Shaw have sex, his DNA (altered now) enters her, she becomes pregnant. Alien is born out of her, which in turn attacks and kills one of the big white alien guys. Alien is implanted inside that alien, and is born as the "alien" we know from the originals.

Same concept of hybrid DNA and transformation as the half human alien taken from Ripley in Alien Resurrection.

Like my convoluted plot breakdown....? LOL

There was a big carving in the black ooze room of what looked like a queen alien...so the creatures who had found or created the ooze already knew what it could do.

lone-wolf
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
It's so confusing because you got the snake creatures, who's bite does something...?
You got the black oil stuff(I miss the x-files) that does what?
You got the black oil guy who screws a chick and somehow creates a squad alien.... what?

Would of been nice if they stuck with one idea, and not be all over the place. One kills you, one makes you come back as a zombie, one makes a squad alien if you try to reproduce. What?! What comes of the squid alien? A big ass land squid that'll eventually make what appears to be a queen xenomorph alien.

Here's a random google find for harbl
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/sc_wolf/PonyXenomorphMotivator.jpg

Bullwhip
06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I like my sci-fi, even though fiction, to make sense. So, while the visuals of the movie and the broad premise were enjoyable, the nuts and bolts of the story and characters actions just felt cheap.

Obvious examples: from finding the site upon arrival, to the scared crewmen and the worm. Bad and simplistic writing.

Its also telling when the one character I was "supposed" to hate (Vickers) was the one I liked the best and was most consistent, contrary to what the writer was going for.

Ridley does know how to make a movie look beautiful, but he was let down by his writers.

harbl_the_cat
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
It's so confusing because you got the snake creatures, who's bite does something...?
You got the black oil stuff(I miss the x-files) that does what?
You got the black oil guy who screws a chick and somehow creates a squad alien.... what?

Would of been nice if they stuck with one idea, and not be all over the place. One kills you, one makes you come back as a zombie, one makes a squad alien if you try to reproduce. What?! What comes of the squid alien? A big ass land squid that'll eventually make what appears to be a queen xenomorph alien.

Here's a random google find for harbl
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/sc_wolf/PonyXenomorphMotivator.jpg

Broken link :( (EDIT - nevermind)

Although I really enjoyed this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6gTE2ILE2o

Ar180shooter
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Just watched it.

Garbage, utter trash film. The acting was bad, script poorly written (i.e. the story makes no damn sense, answers no questions, and raises many more) and it did nothing to add to the Alien franchise. It could have been a well executed film that brought a solid base on which the other movies could stand, but in this respect it utterly failed. It was unable to build any suspense (it was really obvious what was going to happen) and you weren't on the edge of your seat eagerly awaiting it, and when I saw that operation machine, I thought immediately "ah, that will be used to remove an alien later". Lo and behold, I was right. My eyes were rolling so often, had the lights been on, people might have thought I was having a seizure.

3/10, and one of the worst movies I've seen this year.