PDA

View Full Version : Ammo is now hazmat goods in Canada ?

mater
07-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Hello, I recently tried to order some ammo (5x20rds) from an online retailer in Canada and was told there is a $45 hazmat charge being imposed by couriers now, On top of the regular shipping charge. I have ordered ammo in the past and was never hit with this charge. Anybody else seeing this ? Really takes the appeal out of those sales :(

mtlgun
07-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Never heard of it.

As far as I can see there's hasn't been a single major player who's mentioned it so I'm betting it's bs. You got a noob employee or just someone who

doesn't deal with shipping often and they misquoted ( or it's store policy to pad orders on shipping to make up for the bargain advertised price ).

wolver
07-29-2015, 08:01 PM
No mention of it on the "other site", either.

lone-wolf
07-29-2015, 08:02 PM
What retailer and shipping method?

Magi
07-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Yes, I do remember one of the big retailers discussing this issue recently on the CGN forum, I can't remember the retailer but the courier was Purolator. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the ministry declaring ammo a hazardous material. It caught my eye because Purolator was the one courier that had the most reasonable ammo shipping rates. On small order this could be a deal killer but I suspect some retailers may absorb the charge on bulk orders.

Marc

mtlgun
07-30-2015, 09:12 AM
It was over a year ago, but, the last time I shipped ammo the CanPar guy didn't even bother putting a label on it. He said he didn't need to for such a small amount ( 40 lbs iirc ). I know UPS does it habitually but I suspect that's a revenue generator not a genuine rule. Puro is not a major player overall so no stress there if they try to play the same game as UPS and make a few bucks on the side with a sketchy " interpretation " of a non existent reg.

Iirc the explosive regs were updated back in January of this year ( tannerite anyone ) and had nothing to say on the subject so I'll just come

right out and say, you got bad info. Just ignore it and shop around for a better price.

6MT
07-30-2015, 09:25 PM
I just received 4000 rounds of centerfire surplus ammo. No mention of this and no extra charges. It came via Canpar.

FALover
07-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Purolator is Canada Post in drag. CanPar has always been reliable for shipping to my door.

mtlgun
08-04-2015, 05:38 AM
** correction time.

Just tried to ship a small batch of ammo yesterday and omg wtf nightmare !

Even though Puro lists ammo as fine and even walks you through the process quite well on their website, expect them to tell you you'll need to pay

the extra fees if they even decide to take the package at all.

Someone at CanPar must have gotten frostbite last winter and decided they need a villa in the Caribbean because their previously easy to

use service is now a mess of back and forth phone calls and checking with supervisors which ultimately ends up nearly doubling any online or

phone quote you got. Thus, if you're not a dealer who gets a big discount with them, you better get ready for a punch in the face if

you buy or sell ammo and need to ship it.

Zinilin
08-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Just dropped Wolverine Supplies of Virden, MB from my list of internet ammunition suppliers.
Wolverine Supplies wanted to apply a Hazmat Charge to my order, order canceled.

SFRC got the order, they charge shipping based on weight and volume.