PDA

View Full Version : O/U vs SxS

Prairie Dog
08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Each has their own advantages or simply personal preference?

CaperJim
08-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Both
Under over seems more practical to me though

Foxer
08-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Well, obviously the over under has a slight advantage generally speaking. A side by side requires at least two compensation adjustments when you're firing if you're going to center the target. One barrel is slightly left of point of aim, and one is right. That wouldn't be a big deal but when you add in the fact that both barrels probably aren't shooting to the same relative point of impact (one will be slightly off vs the other) that can be noticeable. In an over under you're only changing one dimension as a rule, as both barrels have the sight actually over top of the barrel, and it's only the height over top that changes.

Now - many would argue with the spread of shotgun pellets that really doesn't make a big difference. You don't aim a shotgun like a rifle. And they'd be largely correct, generally it's not a big deal. But it is a slight advantage for the over under. And if you're trying to head shoot a grouse or rabbit at close range with a tight choke, it can be a factor.

In longer guns, i personnally find that the over under swings a little bit better. With it's weight vertically it doesn't want to roll side to side as much, where a double barrel can want to 'twist' just a little in some cases. Again - not a big deal, but a small advantage to the 'bottom heavy' over under. In shorter guns, you don't notice that of course.

I have to say - the differences are pretty minor. Chances are, if you grew up with one or the other you'd prefer that one and hit just as well as the guy who grew up with the other. But there IS a reason why professional skeet people TEND to prefer over unders, and if you're looking for that last half a percent's performance, the over under probably has a little bit of an edge.

I love 'em both :)

JustBen
08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
If the good Lord had intended me to shoot an over under, he would have stacked my eyes on top of one another.

That's what one of the old guys I went bird hunting with used to say. Personally, I have one of each. For me, I use the O/U for trap shooting because I've set the stock up for that. I would have used the SxS, but it has two triggers, and I find it to be better suited for upland hunting.

blacksmithden
08-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Now - many would argue with the spread of shotgun pellets that really doesn't make a big difference. You don't aim a shotgun like a rifle.

They're called scatter guns for a reason. :)

Each has their own advantages or simply personal preference?

We're both old...ultra precision aiming in a rush isn't our thing anymore. Pick up one of each...which ever feels more comfortable in your hands, that's the one you want. :)

road kill
08-03-2015, 04:41 PM
But one looks cooler than the other. Paint em black and hang some plastic on them and they will be tactifool. Oh sorry that's tacticool. ;D I do prefer a o/u to a sxs myself.

Prairie Dog
08-03-2015, 11:23 PM
We're both old...ultra precision aiming in a rush isn't our thing anymore. Pick up one of each...which ever feels more comfortable in your hands, that's the one you want. :)

Whiney the Elders? :)

Two For Sure
08-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Get one of each.

FlyingHigh
08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Get one of each.

One for each hand. :)

R&R Rancher
08-05-2015, 07:49 PM
:p
If the good Lord had intended me to shoot an over under, he would have stacked my eyes on top of one another.

What are you supposed to shoot a single shot with then :p

High quality double barrels are SUPPOSED to have both barrels hit a common point of impact somewhere in the useful range of the gun. Since this is done by silver soldering the barrels together the POI can change as it cools. Bit of an art form as I understand to get it right, which is part of the reason these types of guns cost more than most mass produced guns. And one of the things that gets scrimped on with lower end guns.

Most SXS's follow their evolutionary lines of light weight bird guns. O/U's not so much, but there are exceptions. The extra weight and narrower sighting plane has made the O/U the preferred gun by far for formal clay targets.

Foxer
08-05-2015, 10:23 PM
What are you supposed to shoot a single shot with then

Well, by process of elimination, i'd guess you're nose. But before you do, you might want to read the instructions first :)

R&R Rancher
08-06-2015, 05:48 AM
With the comment about eyes matching barrels I had envisioned single barrel shooters evolving into something like this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2LFWviSyb11IHuVTvh3BZ2LLYYIMIe la1iLwN45LfV1K13FIn

It would sure reduce problems with cross dominance, but the depth percetion would suck!

Flashpoint
08-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Clearly, the answer is that I should design, then build a four-barrelled shotgun so you have the best of both worlds.

Swampdonkey
08-29-2015, 02:13 AM
Aren't SXSs cheaper to make than O/Us? Same finish level and barrel length and all. The trigger group in the over/under supposedly takes longer to assemble.

BuckingFastard
08-29-2015, 07:49 AM
At this point O/U and SxS are the only shotguns I own, I love them both for different reasons, I think foxer nailed with his post. I prefer the o/u for skeet and trap, and the sxs for hunting. All my o/u have ejectors vs all my sxs have extractors. Grew up using single shots so when I could start purchasing my own rifles o/u and sxs had more bangs for the buck :)