PDA

View Full Version : Harper on "Netflix Tax"

awndray
08-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Today Prime Minister Stephen Harper reaffirmed that a re-elected Conservative Government will not regulate or tax over-the-top digital services such as Netflix.

“As a government we have sought to increase consumer choice and keep taxes low and that’s not going to change,” the Prime Minister said. “Some politicians though are always looking for new things to tax.”

Stakeholders and other levels of government have called for regulation and taxation of Netflix and other online services. The Harper Government has rejected these calls and will continue to do so if re-elected.

“We will never tax Netflix or other online streaming services” he reaffirmed.

The Prime Minister observed that both Thomas Mulcair and Justin have opened the door to future taxation of Netflix. Both the NDP and the Liberals have called on Netflix to provide “detailed information about their services, such as consumers’ habits” and more “data on over-the-top services, with a particular focus on consumer habits.”

“The choice is clear,” he pointed out. “If you like watching Netflix or videos online, only voting Conservative will stop a Netflix Tax.”
http://www.conservative.ca/no-netflix-tax/

Video Inside: http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/canadas-most-notorious-anti-drug-crusader-admits-his-favourite-show-is-about-a-drug-dealer

Social media is crawling with idiots complaining about Harper liking the show Breaking Bad.

lone-wolf
08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Social media is crawling with idiots

Only the rich 1% can afford netflix, another tax break for them!

I'm not a big Harper fan, but the idiots on social media can't be objective about anything he does.
Protecting netflix from the government is a great thing.

harbl_the_cat
08-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Good move to placate the populace with a sensible "circus" policy - but also highlighting how the Libs and NDP have no respect for privacy.

The government shouldn't farm data from private companies and citizens.

I think many Millennials and GenX'ers will approve.

awndray
08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Libs and NDP have no respect for privacy

The government shouldn't farm data from private companies and citizens.

Who was it that pushed and passed C-51?

harbl_the_cat
08-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Who was it that pushed and passed C-51?

The Tories and the Libs.

But that's just the thing - C51 may give the government the legislative tools to try to invade personal privacy, but it's the intention of individual politicians who operate the government that will determine how those tools will be used.

Now as I've said in the past, I'm ambivalent towards C51 because I believe, for now, government IT organizations are generally behind the times and more effective countermeasures to protect against invasive government encroachments on private data are guaranteed to be developed by private, decentralized, benign, non-state actors - but I think it's the intention that is really telling in this story.

Pardon the analogy, but the Tories may have given the government a gun with C51 - but it's most likely the Libs or the NDP that will use it to try to shoot up a movie theatre should they be elected.

Of course, better trained, equipped, and armed private security WILL foil such a heinous event - hence why I'm not overly worried about C51.

Drache
08-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Stop taxing the private sale if vehicles and I'll be impressed

shootemup604
08-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Thats provincial, but I agree...