PDA

View Full Version : Wool Pants

awndray
08-12-2015, 08:22 AM
What do you wear when you're out in the bush, mid-fall to winter? Which brands should I look for, and which should I avoid? I need something warm, quiet and water repellent for whitetail dogging.

Kenwp
08-13-2015, 05:06 AM
Used to be able to get these war surplus wool pants that we used to buy that you could get soaking wet and were still warm that were wool. I now wear lined blue jeans instead. They are super warm and still stay warm when wet. The Work Wear House ones are good and Costco used to have them also. I have a pair of Wranglers in camo that are good also. I wear them all winter now to go to work and back since I only drive 8kms and the truck never gets real warm and I change into lighter cloths at work due to bio security anyways.

kennymo
08-13-2015, 07:31 AM
I've been wearing a pair of UnderArmour hunting pants for a few years now, paired with wool long johns. I have to switch into a pair of bib overalls if I'm sitting in the evening though. But the UA's are breathable, cut the wind, are water resistant and plenty warm for walking. We tried wool pants some years back, and while warm, we found they did not like crossing barbed wire fences which we have to do fairly often hiking after deer.

Foxer
08-13-2015, 10:13 AM
I wear thick wool pants - but avoid "pure' wool, a little bit of blend takes away the itch :) Wool has the property of retaining heat when it's wet and not wicking moisture up. So it's important for staying warm. But - the most important thing to me is that it "sounds" like fur when you walk. We used some 'action ears' set very sensitive for a series of tests to try to determine what deer hear when you're walking thru the woods in different clothes, and wool makes a noise much like any other animal, while jeans for example make a distinctly 'human' sort of synthetic sound. A sort of 'wiff wiff wiff' when you walk that definitely says 'not an animal'.

So i use a base wicking layer of thermal underpants (full length) and wool over top. Wicks any sweat or moisture away from the skin, but if you get wet you stay warm.

Another good option is Fleece. Fleece has similar properties to wool and sounds pretty natural to animals. A good base layer and some fleece over top is a great way to stay warm and not sound excessively human.

And always remember - don't wash your hunting clothes in regular detergent, the optical brighteners in most laundry soaps these days make you stand out more to a deer in low light conditions. Instead use something like baking soda. Kills smell and also doesn't add brighteners.

lone-wolf
08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
511 tactical pants with long underwear.
The guys I hunt with wear jeans with long underwear underneath.

Yea, we're cutting edge.

OhCanada
08-29-2015, 07:57 AM
The thread was wool pants so I'll stick with that.

I had Swedish (I think) pants that had a button fly and double knee, they were very thick. They are now too small and I currently have M-1951 pants. Try to stay away from button fly pants, they are hard to work with cold fingers; stick to zippers. The only thing I don't like about my current pants is the cotton waistband (inside) and cotton pockets which can get wet and stay wet.

Big Chief made nice heavy pants and I own two pairs all be it a bit large on me, these have a zipper and more os a polyester pocket material. Keep an eye you for this brand.