PDA

View Full Version : Ricol 20 gauge 16 inch shotgun just went on sale - great gun for the price.

Foxer
08-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, a short while ago i did a review on the ricol 2016. I've got both that one and the 12 gauge version (which I also reviewed.

I notice that corwin arms just put them on sale. Here's the details:

Get Ready for Hunting Season

RICOL 20-16.50 "Chrome" O and U Chrome Model On Clearance Was $617 NOW $497

http://https://www.corwin-arms.com/product/ricol-20-1650-chrome-o-and-u-single-trigger-front-sight-bead-0

It futures Single Selective triggers, Steel Receiver, Extractors with Manual Safety

Specifications:

RICOL 20 16.50 Inch Barrel

CHAMBER: 3''( 76)

GAUGE: 20 GA

WEIGHT: 2.67kg

OVERALL LENGTH: 32.75 inches

BBL: 16.5inch long with screw in chokes

STOCK: WALNUT

PLATIN Chrome RECEIVER

SIGHT: VENTILATED RIB, Front Bead

RICOL Over and Under is equipped with SCREW in CHOKES, Chokes included 2 x Cylinder Bore, 1 Modified and 1 Full Choke plus Choke Wrench

These ones JUST have the front bead, not the rear bead, but it's still totally worth it at that price. Anyone thinking about grabbing one of these should jump on it as they're apparently clearing them out and they won't have new ones for quite some time.

Here's the review I did for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_2kAWxeLM

Flashpoint
08-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Ka-pow!

I have no doubts about the capabilities of the 12 gauge Challenger Magnum slugs now. I'll keep buying these for bear protection.

BuckingFastard
08-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Link for corwin doesn't work for me, decent review, and nifty gun for the money. I'm pretty sure you convinced me to pick up both 2014 and 2016 if on sale :)

Foxer
08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Link for corwin doesn't work for me, decent review, and nifty gun for the money. I'm pretty sure you convinced me to pick up both 2014 and 2016 if on sale :)

it's www.corwin-arms.com . He's out of the 1214's i notice, was going to pick up one from my bro's bday but he still has the 2016's in. Honestly even tho they're very close as far as how much I like them, if i had to give up one i'd keep the 2016 i think. I just wish they could have done the ejectors on it but apperently the frame is too small to accomodate them, so they would have had to go with the 12 guauge version with 20 gauge barrels and that just wouldn't have been the same gun.

interesting note - Last time i chatted with martin he said he was getting in some new sights very quick that are like a no battery fibre optic red dot, very small, that will mount to the rib and that are pretty low cost.

Honestly without the ejectors I would have said it's ok at 620, but id have thought it was a really good deal at more like 550. At under 500, it's totally worth adding to the safe.

BuckingFastard
08-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Ahh 1214 was what I meant but you got that. I agree under 500 it's a good grab, I've spent that on worse things. What's the loaded weight of each? Sorry if I missed it in your review. Also it makes little difference to me ejectors vs extractors as with practice you can still be proficient in reloading.

Foxer
08-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Ahh 1214 was what I meant but you got that. I agree under 500 it's a good grab, I've spent that on worse things. What's the loaded weight of each? Sorry if I missed it in your review. Also it makes little difference to me ejectors vs extractors as with practice you can still be proficient in reloading.

Well i don't have a proper scale to measure it and my bathroom scale is a lying son-of-a-$#%* (YEAH I'm talking about you, I know you can hear me!), but if we say that the average 870 with an 18 inc barrel is 7.25 lbs then the 1214 would likely be about 6.75 and the 2016 more like 6.25. Basically the 12 gauge is slightly lighter but not far off from my 'regular' short barrel shotguns, and the 20 is a little lighter than the 12. The 12 is pretty nimble in the hand, but if you're one handing it you're still fighting it a little bit, the 20 is even more nimble and one handing it feels almost like a pistol. The 12's recoil is decent - pretty much the same as any 12 for target loads, the heavy loads push you around a little (those dangerous game slugs are a bit of a whollop :) ) but again, thats' pretty much like any standard shotgun. The 20 is very tame, as you can see from the vids. I talked to Li'l E the next day and questioned her a lot about any pain or discomfort after shooting or in the morning after and she says there was none, and no bruising at all. And god knows despite working with her a little her stance could still use some work :)

The extractor-ejector thing is no big deal with a bit of practice, I agree with you there. And i can feel the minor imperfections in the chamber (which is very common on most shotguns) and I know that 5 -10 minues with some 0000 steel wool and a drill and those chambers will be smooth enough for the shells to just drop out on their own or with a little flick as you open the barrel.

BuckingFastard
08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Awesome thanks for the great info, it's put on the buy list which I almost had cleaned up, but there's a couple on there right now on top.