PDA

View Full Version : Liberals mum on Trudeau's mosque meeting.

soulchaser
08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Trudeau held a meeting at a Regina mosque that reporters were refused entry to.

Nobody in the Liberal party will talk about it

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/18/liberals-mum-on-trudeaus-mosque-visit

RangeBob
08-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan
August 18, 2015

Recently, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau met privately with a group of Islamic leaders inside a Regina mosque, an event from which the media were barred.

The Liberal party is keeping a tight lid on what transpired during the two-hour, closed-door session last Tuesday.

The gathering may well be one of the few election events of 2015 that will go unreported because as one correspondent assigned to cover the story told me: “Unfortunately I wasn’t permitted inside.”

It seems almost every time Trudeau steps inside a mosque, he walks into a minefield of controversy.

In March 2011 he visited a mosque in Montreal that a month later was classified by U.S. intelligence as an al-Qaida recruitment centre.

Trudeau pleaded ignorance, arguing the mosque’s link to al-Qaida came up only after he had visited it.

In fact, as early as 2006, CBC’s Radio Canada had done a lengthy investigative report on that mosque, identifying it as a well-known centre of radical anti-West rhetoric.

In 2013, Trudeau spent an evening at the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) Islamic centre west of Toronto during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The parent organization of ISNA in the U.S. has been listed by the U.S. Justice Department as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in a terror funding trial.

ISNA was never charged with any crime, but prosecutors listed it as one of the “entities who are and/or were members of the U.S. Muslim Brotherhood”.

(A federal judge later ruled the document should not have been released and ISNA said its inclusion was guilt by association.)

The Regina mosque where Trudeau held his closed-door meeting last week “recommends” the ISNA website to its members on its web page.

A Liberal press release made no mention of the event.

When I pressed for an explanation, a Liberal staffer in Ottawa called me saying it was not Liberal policy to make visits to religious institutions open to the media.

But that’s not accurate. Trudeau has been photographed praying alongside Muslims in a Surrey mosque.

Next, I asked Liberal MP Ralph Goodale who had accompanied Trudeau, why the media was barred from the Regina mosque event.

His answer was: “Media was present for coverage at door to mosque. Inside was regular evening prayer. Not our place to invite media.”

But that does not match the account by Regina’s Leader-Post newspaper.

It said: “The Liberal leader arrived in Regina on Tuesday evening and headed to a south-end mosque where … the media was not permitted to attend.”

The reporter, Nathan Liewicki, later told me:

“A (Liberal) party spokesperson said Trudeau was going to be at the mosque and that the media were not able to attend.”

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the mosque told me in an email Trudeau met with many members of the local Muslim community during his visit adding: “It was wrongly reported in the media that they were not allowed to attend. The coordinator from the Liberal party was asked to arrange for (a) media person if they wanted.”

Contrast the Liberals’ secrecy with Conservative Leader Stephen Harper’s visit to a Hindu temple in Toronto on Monday.

It was an open event with no restrictions on the media while the Liberal one was shrouded in secrecy.

Trudeau owes an explanation to Canadians.

What was discussed behind closed doors with Islamic leaders inside that mosque?

hxxp://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/18/liberals-mum-on-trudeaus-mosque-visit

Carguy2550
08-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Dear Canada,

Major Warning. When the words Muslim Brotherhood, ISNA, and Justin Trudeau appear in the same article no good can come from it.

soulchaser
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks for posting the article RB.

Strewth
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM
I see nothing wrong with this at all, said no one who's lived on planet earth for the last couple decades. Oops! Guess that excludes JT.

What poor handling of what could have been a non-event for the Liberals. How are they supposed to split the left vote if they keep messing up like this?

RangeBob
08-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks for posting the article RB.

I don't think you should have to apologize unreservedly for not being able to cut and paste on this device,
more than two times per day.

(i.e., a backhanded way of saying: no problem. You're welcome. I was in the neighbourhood.)

Mark-II
08-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Look! A Senate Spending Scandal! (distraction)

Foxer
08-19-2015, 08:44 AM
That's really not the kind of thing you want to be doing in the middle of an actual election campaign. Especially if you're running on the idea of 'more transparent' gov't.

RangeBob
08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Especially if you're running on the idea of 'more transparent' gov't.

I thought Harper was running on a "More of the same" campaign, with a "Couple 'we can do that' perks".
I haven't heard "more transparent" from the Conservatives in months.

Justin said something about "more transparent" from one of his Ottawa forest commercials.
but

This guy has plans with all of the depth of a wading pool.

Someone should tell him that talking points aren't a scoring system

no one takes Justin's "more transparent" without a grain of salt big enough to bury nuclear waste in.

TJSpeller
08-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Well, Trudeau is definitely going for the muslim vote, no doubt about that. Hey, it's a democracy, and that's his right. Politicians have been pandering to specific voter subgroups since the Romans, and probably before.

However, if that brings some problems into our peaceful society, we need to be informed. That's why having a "closed door" session like this is most worrisome.

There are reasons to be concerned. People need to be educated about some of Trudeau's candidates. Anti semitism, and anti-Westernism, and some fairly disturbing ideological issues., are present more than one.

Look up Omar Alghabra. He is a former Liberal MP (2006 to 2008), now running again and likely to win in a demographically favourable riding. He is a senior policy advisor to Trudeau. He was in favour of Sharia and some other things...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/26/bad-advice-think-justin-trudeaus-instincts-are-scary-take-a-look-at-what-two-of-his-advisers-have-to-say

But no need to make this an Muslim issue - Justin's own brother Alexandre Trudeau, has defended Iran's seeking of nuclear weapons, as a defense against Israeli aggression (remind me how many times Israel has stated that the destruction of Iran is its goal, and how many times Iran has said the same about Israel?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mike-fe...b_2018038.html

Lots to worry about.
One of the reasons I support the CPC is that there are no voices like this in the CPC. In fact, I have a muslim candidate running for the CPC in my own riding,and I support his candidacy actively. He is pro-Israel, pro-Kurd, anti-ISIS, and is not ashamed to proclaim it in his canvassing and literature, even though he is doing it in the heart of downtown Toronto, where this may not be the most obviously popular position.

https://www.facebook.com/votekarim

People need to really inform themselves about what they are getting with each party, not just the leader, but the people who will go into committee, write policy papers, and influence decision in many ways, for many years. Ask yourself which party you want appointing immigration judges, for example.

Kico
08-19-2015, 01:03 PM
It seems almost every time Trudeau steps inside a mosque, he walks into a minefield!

Well if we could end the sentence above like so that would be perfect!

Steveo9mm
08-19-2015, 04:34 PM
if he starts growing a beard, we know whats going on. no wonder he doesnt want to fight isis.