PDA

View Full Version : Liberal candidate admits he broke spending laws to win nomination

Prairie Dog
08-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Liberal candidate admits he broke spending laws to win nomination

The Canadian Press
Published Friday, August 21, 2015 6:20PM EDT

OTTAWA -- A Liberal candidate has admitted he broke election spending laws during his fight to win a bitterly-contested nomination battle in the Toronto-area riding of Mississauga-Lakeshore.

In a compliance agreement struck with the commissioner of elections, Sven Spengemann admits he personally paid for some campaign expenses, which legally should have been paid only by his financial agent.

As a result, Spengemann admits he wound up donating $4,255 to his own nomination campaign -- almost twice the legal limit of $2,200.

Under the terms of the compliance agreement, published in the Canada Gazette, Spengemann has agreed to solicit legal contributions to cover his excess donation and to pay that money to the receiver general.

He also agrees to file with Elections Canada an updated nomination financial return, reflecting all his campaign expenses and contributions.

A compliance agreement is a commonly used method of dealing with infractions of election laws; it does not constitute a criminal conviction or create a criminal record.

Elections commissioner Yves Cote's office investigated Spengemann's nomination expenses after receiving a complaint from Paul Szabo, the former Liberal MP for the riding who had backed a rival candidate for the nomination.

Szabo maintains Spengemann's campaign failed to report many expenses, including room rentals, bus rental, campaign literature, signs and posters.

He also alleges that Spengemann should have reported the cost of professional services provided by several campaign organizers, including those whom he alleges manipulated the riding's membership list. And he contends Spengemann should have reported the cost of paying for party membership fees, contrary to party rules.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/election/liberal-candidate-admits-he-broke-spending-laws-to-win-nomination-1.2528103#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=4OnMFBh

It's okay though.......because he's not a Conservative.

greywolf67nt
08-22-2015, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure how you donate to yourself but really SO WHAT? If he is that desperate to win and can't find people to donate $2200 that means he doesn't have enough friends to win an election.
That being said he broke the rules so his nomination should be void and it goes to the next runner up.

blacksmithden
08-22-2015, 11:38 AM
It's ok to break the law to win an election. No need to unwin (resign), just as long as you un-break the law afterward. It all sounds perfectly fine to.......wait a minute......I smell LLL (Libtard Legal Logic) at work here.

Foxer
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure how you donate to yourself but really SO WHAT? If he is that desperate to win and can't find people to donate $2200 that means he doesn't have enough friends to win an election.That just means the richest guy tends to win. That's not really in the interests of democracy. That's 'donald trump' politics.

The rules are there for a reason - and I agree with you, he broke 'em he should be gone. It's a nomination process so that's that. I'd like to see it done federally too that if a specific person breaks the rules it goes to a byelection. Everyone should be held to the same standards.

soulchaser
08-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Soooooo.........

Isn' this kinda what Dean Del Maestro is currently IN JAIL for??

And this:
"A compliance agreement is a commonly used method of dealing with infractions of election laws; it does not constitute a criminal conviction or create a criminal record."

Only if you're not a Conservative though.

RangeBob
08-22-2015, 12:39 PM
It's ok to break the law to win an election
Only if you also loose the election.

On the other hand, I suppose it's good to give the electorate a choice of candidates -- if the infraction seems a lot like getting your assignment to the professor a few days late (as opposed to hiding something and getting caught, which should always be bad in a politician (either hiding, or getting caught; depending upon your point of view)).

soulchaser
08-22-2015, 12:39 PM
"Under the terms of the compliance agreement, published in the Canada Gazette, Spengemann has agreed to solicit legal contributions to cover his excess donation and to pay that money to the receiver general."

He broke the rules.

Why the F--K is he being allowed to fundraise to get other people to pay for his actions?

And Trudeau should be turfing him ASAP.

Prairie Dog
08-22-2015, 12:49 PM
... get other people to pay for his actions?

Sound familiar?

Edenchef
08-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Sound familiar?

But, he's on trial ........wait a minute, he's conservative. Makes complete sense now. :pot:

lone-wolf
08-22-2015, 01:19 PM
They're more like... guidelines, ya know? :p

Billythreefeathers
08-22-2015, 02:22 PM
so he writes a cheque to the receiver general for $2200 and all is forgiven?? he still over spent by $2200. His competitors didn't have get that advantage, so he should be disqualified.

Edenchef
08-22-2015, 02:23 PM
They're more like... guidelines, ya know? :p

ROFLMAO! Beer is running from my nose! Only a Maritimer could deliver that with a straight face and the proper lilt. But then of course, it's the pirates/progressives code, after all!

Forbes/Hutton
08-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Liberals make the rules...for others to follow.