PDA

View Full Version : Matt - I found a place you can shoot a real Uzi

Fusilier
08-30-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm still playing catch up on back episodes after a couple of weeks of vacation. However over the last couple of episodes I've listened to (June into July) I've lost track of how many times Matt has mentioned shooting the Canadian legal pretend 'Uzi'.

Well the next time you're passing by Bangor Maine, stop in at Main Military Supply on route 1A Holden Maine (just south of Bangor). They rent handguns and full auto submachine guns as well as a couple of full auto long guns. Be careful if you're using a Garmin GPS to find the place because the address in the Garmin is wrong.

Anyway, I got to rent a full auto, full size 'real' Uzi and I now have a new favourite Sub Machinegun (SMG). I shot the venerable Sterling SMG quite a bit in my earlier days in the Canadian Forces and I rented a full auto MP5 once many years ago when visiting Marietta GA.

I found the Uzi easy to control, had sights that were quite usable, and the double stack magazine even made loading mags straight forward. The only fault I found during my short time with the SMG was the safety on the left of the grip is flat, tricky to operate and not intuitive. Not like I'll be able to buy one or shoot it a lot anyway.

Main Military Supply specifically does not allow photos or video on the firing line so I'd have to show you the VISA bill if you want real proof. I do have one of my targets tough but you'll have to take my word for it I guess.

Rental cost $40.00 USD plus ammo (9mm was just shy of $15.00 USD a box), plus targets and rental for hearing protection and the price of safety glasses. All up for two boxes of ammo and about a half hour on the range ran almost $110 Canadian after conversion. Could have saved a couple of dollars if I had my own safety gear with me.

The store is fun to visit with some real surplus for sale. The gun wall in back is a joy to visit although Trevor might have to avert his eyes at the wood stocked AR they had.

Cheers guys.

Metric Warrior
08-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Sounds like fun.
I'd love to try a full auto Kriss vector.

mmatt
08-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Next time I'm down Bangor way, I'm totally checking this out! Thanks!

road kill
08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
A full auto Uzi is a riot. Used to shoot one that my BIL had, back in the bad ol' days. He also had a FN FAL that was semi auto only, heavy pig but fun to rip of a few mag fulls out in the pasture.

Fusilier
08-31-2015, 11:32 AM
The FN C1 (the FAL of course) was the very first centrefire rifle I ever shot. Almost as fun as the C2 of course.

dakotamar
08-31-2015, 06:37 PM
what the heck is up with not being allowed to video?

Fusilier
09-01-2015, 03:04 PM
what the heck is up with not being allowed to video?

Their Range. Their Rules.

Gaidheal
09-01-2015, 03:35 PM
I figure a) people are more likely to be/do stupid for the camera and b) *IF* anything went sideways it's much harder to spin video evidence.

#00BUCK
09-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Uzi is tite!

dakotamar
09-01-2015, 06:57 PM
the only place I shot a full auto was in N.C., they supplied a R.O. that stood right beside me. he even filmed it for me. I might shoot one full auto at a place that wouldn't allow video but I wouldn't drop a lot of coin there. I am going to battlefield vegas in a week, they better allow video or I won't be wasting my money there. hoping to take about 5 autos out to play.

#00BUCK
09-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Brrrrrraaaaaaaap!