PDA

View Full Version : Yayy It's Raining! - CC's Mulligitawny Soup!

Candychikita
08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
My recipe is perfected now! Eat Eat! I made a big huge pot of it for this deliciously miserable fuzzy-socks-stay-at-home-and-do-laundry-while-the-rain-waters-the-garden day!

You need a big crunchy loaf of fresh Calabrese bread and a bottle of wine with this recipe.

1 onion, peeled and diced
5 carrots, peeled and diced (or approx four heaping handfuls of mini carrots, diced)
A fistful of celery stalks (5), sliced and diced
Approx 1 cup of cooked chicken, chopped (or the leftovers of yesterday's rotisserie chicken ripped into bits)
3 tsp of yellow curry powder
1 tbsp flour
1/2 c butter (yes, I know, you think I'm trying to kill you all here, but this makes a LOT of soup)
8 cups of chicken stock (see, I told you, lots of soup)
approx 1 cup of cooked rice
1 baby carton of whipping cream (unwhipped, that's some really heavy cream and no, it's not sweet until you put sugar in it and whip the bejesus out of it)
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp black pepper (ok, I might have put a bit more black pepper in, but that's to my taste)

OK. Get yourself a soup pot and get your chicken stock boiling. In a deep fry pan, take your onion, carrots, celery and fry those in that glob of butter until they are soft and shiny, and the butter is all melted. Take your curry powder and the flour, mix them together and throw them in there with your veggies (it's going to smell very East Indian, but don't worry, it gets better!) Stir until everything is coated in curry flour. Throw in your chicken and roll it around in that mixture. Throw this all into your chicken stock and let it simmer for about 15 mins, then dump your rice in. Add your salt, thyme, black pepper. Simmer for another 15 mins. I was once told never put cold cream in a hot soup, so I heated it in a sauce pan until it was steamy, and then poured it into the soup, served right away. Voila!

Oh my word is it ever delicious. It has just enough heat to warm up your insides and throat warm like a shot of vodka, but not enough to make your nose run. I love Mulligitawny Soup!

FlyingHigh
08-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Sounds great. We'll have to give it a try. Only thing I'll do different is I'm gonna lose the curry. Filthy disgusting stuff...

Candychikita
08-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Sounds great. We'll have to give it a try. Only thing I'll do different is I'm gonna lose the curry. Filthy disgusting stuff...

I know you have a hate for it, but try it with the curry first. Because of the cream and the chicken stock it's really mild and it gives it that bite, without it being too ...West Abbotsford curry. Without it, it's just a chicken and rice soup. The Brits took an Indian curry sauce and bastardized it into something more bland :D Ta Da! Mulligitawny!

Edenchef
08-31-2015, 09:44 PM
I did not know you were a Mulligatawny fan, Candy. Special PM gift, inbound. Enjoy!
Cheers!

Metric Warrior
08-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the recipe... Mulligatawny is my favorite of all time soups. Especially with little apple chunks in it also.
I'll give this one a try.

And you can't beat the Brits curry on chips with a battered pineapple ring and battered sausage. Mmmmmmm.

Mark-II
09-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Sounds awesome

....I thought that the curry we know and love WAS a bastardized English creation?

awndray
09-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Awesome. My girlfriend and I love trying different soups, but never know what. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

....I thought that the curry we know and love WAS a bastardized English creation?

Curry has been bastardized indeed. I'm not a big fan of Gordon Ramsay's, but I have to admit I really enjoyed his Great Escape episode on Indian food, where he traveled the country to get to the bottom of authentic foods like curry.

The scene where he travels by train and works the kitchen with the locals is amazing. In his own words, "If I cooked in a train from London to Manchester, I'd give you a burger cooked in a microwave with a bun that tastes like dog shit. This is delicious. Even the poor eat like kings because it's delicious." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6izKuaDrnpE

Candychikita
09-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I read about putting Granny Smith apples in but all I had were Ambrosias on hand, and they are a little on the not very crispy side for making apple sauce. I'm compiling recipes that people can use up leftovers in delectable new ways.

Edenchef just sent me a Mulligitawny recipe with eggplant and pistachios in it, crazy what you can put in this soup!

Edenchef
09-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Edenchef just sent me a Mulligitawny recipe with eggplant and pistachios in it, crazy what you can put in this soup!

Yes, you may post them all here and share. I'm just shy.

Metric Warrior
09-02-2015, 06:00 AM
I read about putting Granny Smith apples in but all I had were Ambrosias on hand

I do believe they need to be Granny Smith apples both for firmness and a bit of tang in the odd bite. Delish!

Grizz Axxemann
09-02-2015, 09:50 PM
It would make better sense to me to do it all in one pot, adding the stock and cream last then letting it come up to a simmer. At least, that's how my mom taught me how to make soup.

I'll have to give it a whirl once it starts getting cold out. I think the g/f might like it.

Candychikita
09-02-2015, 10:02 PM
It would make better sense to me to do it all in one pot

Probably :) I'm not on dish duty here - my kids want to earn their allowances :)

Candychikita
09-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Here's a picture for you all - I made another batch. Mm mm.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721/candychikita/Mulligatawny_zps5zqudqrv.jpg

Strewth
09-03-2015, 11:20 PM
That sounds (and looks) great, CC; thanks for the recipe!

Rory McCanuck
09-04-2015, 12:13 AM
That does look good.
Tomorrow might be a soup day, thunderboomer is scaring the hound, and they say it'll last most of tomorrow, too.