PDA

View Full Version : My First Salmon! :)

Candychikita
09-03-2015, 10:30 PM
I caught two "Chinook Jacks" I was told :D :D

The weather was sunny and then torrential and then thunder/lighting - had a great bonfire, beverages and a massive lunch. Group of 13 of us went - caught 22 little jacks and 5 x 14-pounder does. It was my first time salmon fishing, first time on the River, and first time ..."bar fishing". We had all our rods lined up down the river with jingle bells on them, and as soon as our rods jingled it was a mad race to get there to hook our fish - certainly isn't my usual style of casting, cracking open a Palm Bay and a book, and waiting on the dock :) :) 3 big ones got away, two of them just as we had the nets out. Grateful for the tents we had set up and all the rain gear, as the sunshine in these pictures only lasted for a few hours.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721/candychikita/Amys%20fish_zpsjhrczdiv.jpg?t=1441254091
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721/candychikita/Girls%20fish%201_zpsek9q5mse.jpg?t=1441254390

Certainly is pretty neat going out fishing with people that know what they are doing! I learned a lot :D Learned how to cast a line with a big huge weight on it - there's a trick! "Load the rod" they said...wtf does that mean, it's loaded, that's why I'm putting it in the water. Apparently I have to bounce the rod a bit before casting - when the weight brings the rod tip down, cast and the bounce of the rod helps SPROIIIINGGGG the line farther. I watched these guys and my god, are they ever ...graceful casting. I looked like an imbecil of course my first two times before I learned the trick, and of course they have video footage of it all. Very cool.

DanN
09-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Good job! :D

Foxer
09-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Ha! Looks like an awesome day :)

Prairie Dog
09-03-2015, 10:56 PM
I saw those in Safeway today in a small round can and I stayed warm and dry. :) (that's for the prophet remark)

AJA, good on ya'!

Strewth
09-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Congrats on the fish, CC! Glad you didn't get zapped by lightning, lol.
Those are Jack Chinooks, males that return a year early, but I like Chinook Jack better, sounds like a gunfighter from Barkerville:).

Candychikita
09-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Not too shabby for a Wednesday eh? :D :D

Those are Jack Chinooks, males that return a year early, but I like Chinook Jack better, sounds like a gunfighter from Barkerville:).

Blarg. I was so certain I had the right lingo this time.

I was told that all these masses of jacks means that there are some big massive men fish all fighting further down the river and the sneaky young'uns are coming up and banging all the does while they fight heh. One of the big ones literally dragged one of the girls who reeled it in down the riverbank - she was ducking underneath all the rods, and people were reeling in fast so they didn't get snagged. Very exciting stuff.

Rory McCanuck
09-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Looks and sounds like a great day! :)

road kill
09-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Congrats CC. A day fishing with friends is good, catching supper is great.

JustBen
09-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Nice fish. I need to go Salmon fishing someday.

tigrr
09-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Nice and silver, they will be good eating. They don't look like that when they get up here to the caribou. I miss the ocean.
What fandangled way did you cook them??

FlyingHigh
09-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Awesome stuff. :) I take it they reopened the river after the rain you guys got?

reel55
09-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Very nice catch , and you have had fun learning something new to boot!!!!!!!!

Haywire1
09-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Well done CC! Congratulations on your first salmon!!