PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Universe 2015 Ashley Callingbull calls for First Nations to vote out Harper

Prairie Dog
09-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Mrs. Universe 2015 Ashley Callingbull calls for First Nations to vote out Harper

TORONTO – Canada’s Ashley Callingbull made history after becoming the first First Nations woman to be crowned Mrs. Universe over the weekend and is now urging First Nations people to vote Stephen Harper out of office.

“I urge all First Nations people in Canada to vote in this upcoming election,” Callingbull tweeted on Monday. “We are in desperate need of a new PM. Fight for your rights.”

Callingbull, whose married name is Burnham, is from the Enoch Cree Nation west of Edmonton. She was crowned Mrs. Universe 2015 in Minsk, Belarus, on Saturday, becoming the first Canadian and First Nations woman to win the title for married women.

Callingbull has noted she grew up in poverty on First Nations reserves in Alberta and is a survivor of physical and sexual abuse.

She posted to Facebook dismissing criticism she had gotten into politics too quickly and reiterated she will use her title as a platform to bring awareness to First Nations issues in Canada.

“Really? People think I’m too political for my first day as Mrs Universe. Did you really think I was going to just sit there and look pretty? Definitely not,” Callingbull wrote. “I have a title, a platform and a voice to make change and bring awareness to First Nations issues here in Canada. I’m getting all this media attention and I’m going to use it to the best of my ability. I’m not your typical beauty queen. Look out… I have a voice for change and I’m going to use it!”

She received support from the Amnesty International Canada who congratulated her for speaking out on the issue of missing and murdered Indigenous women.

In an interview with ET Canada on Monday Callingbull said she is pleased with the support she has received and that pageant is about more than just looks.

“A lot of First Nations people are supporting me because I am the first First Nations woman to win, but they’re also supporting the pageant because it doesn’t judge you on your looks. There is no swimsuit competition, it all judges on your charitable work and the work you do within communities,” Callingbull said.

“The platform of the pageant is domestic violence and reflection on children.”

The 25-year-old is an actress, model and motivational speaker and is a graduate of the television program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton. She also appears in the drama Blackstone on the APTN network.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2198066/mrs-universe-2015-ashley-callingbull-calls-for-first-nations-to-vote-out-harper/

She posted to Facebook dismissing criticism she had gotten into politics too quickly and reiterated she will use her title as a platform to bring awareness to First Nations issues in Canada.

...and the leftist media were probably tripping over each other to provide the soap box.

Doug_M
09-04-2015, 04:47 AM
Well, good for her for her activism. But I'd remind her that for the first 16 years of her life the Liberals were in power and did sweet f all for first nations. The accountability/transparency law for band administrators/chiefs is probably the biggest reform/improvement in decades. As for the "missing and murdered" women, the solve rate is the same as for the rest of the country. As for the perpetrators, if you can't look within your community then you will never solve the issue.

Armorman
09-04-2015, 07:36 AM
The stop signs around here are being defaced with those "Harper" stickers, signifying Stop Harper I can only assume. Coincidence being close to a Reservation?

But hey, if you're lazy, looking for handouts, and pissed off at others who are financially in better shape than you, I suppose Harper isn't your man.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kane63
09-04-2015, 07:41 AM
The stop signs around here are being defaced with those "Harper" stickers, signifying Stop Harper I can only assume. Coincidence being close to a Reservation?

But hey, if you're lazy, looking for handouts, and pissed off at others who are financially in better shape than you, I suppose Harper isn't your man.

Sent via Tapatalk

They're doing that all around Toronto/GTA as well.

Billythreefeathers
09-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Callingbull has noted she grew up in poverty on First Nations reserves in Alberta and is a survivor of physical and sexual abuse.

sounds like a normal up bring on the res,, maybe she should have focused her efforts against those who perpetrated those crimes and still allow it to go on,,

DanN
09-04-2015, 07:59 AM
The stop signs around here are being defaced with those "Harper" stickers, signifying Stop Harper I can only assume.

Let's all vote for the party that condones vandalism! YAY!

There were some stop signs vandalized here a few months ago, too. I don't understand that mentality.

Armorman
09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Our "First Nations" people have never had it so good. It's time for them to start looking in the mirror to find the problem(s).

Sent via Tapatalk

FALover
09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
She should have kept to 'world peace' and 'saving whales'. Pageant winners have no credibility in my world.

soulchaser
09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
How bout you call on the "Chiefs" to, you know, use the money Ottawa sends them to improve living conditions for the reserve residents instead of lining their own pockets.

Doug_M
09-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Our "First Nations" people have never had it so good. It's time for them to start looking in the mirror to find the problem(s).

I don't know about that. I'd agree the chiefs never had it so good. Joe and Jane average though? Not so much. Time to end the corruption, which is precisely what the current gov is trying to do.

Edward Teach
09-04-2015, 10:35 AM
"Callingbull"...yeah there's a name that's fitting.

Mark-II
09-04-2015, 11:26 AM
I came here expecting cheesecake.

I am disappoint.